CBR1100XX.org Forum

Steering dampers.

Northman

OK, who's got one?

What make is it?

How does it fit?

I have a fitment issue with my Hyperpro, and am wondering where the defect lies.

I could really use the help. :sad:

I thought for sure someone else was running one.......

I know Howie is, definitely. If you get aggressive with your chassis tuning, the front end gets nervous, but turn-in is greatly improved.

I like my chassis where it is now, but bought the damper for a little added "insurance". I might not need it, but it'll make me feel better knowing it's there. :)

I agree with North,

I had my front move a bit on me when I really pushed her to the limt. I would love to know or see if someone has put one on there XX.

I called Oilins and they said they don't and can't make one because of the frame and gas tank, well that sucks.

Someone has had to do one?

I have one, and it's made by Hyperpro. Bought it through Orient Express (516-546-5232).

I just have a fitment issue with it, and need to know where the problem lies, either in the engineering of the bracket, or they just fucked up on mine. :sad:

I just have a fitment issue with it, and need to know where the problem lies, either in the engineering of the bracket, or they just fucked up on mine.

I will go with (B) they fucked up on yours. :lol:

North, do you have any pictures so I can see it. I use to work at a machine shop and pride my self in fixing problems with flaws. Bet I can make it work for you!

Hey, what's the worst that could happen? :hammer:

Once I get the body work back on, I'll know more, but I was hoping to have it solved before then.

Still waiting to hear back from Hyperpro and Orient about the problem, too.

Front on my XX is dropped like 15-20 mm and rear jacked 10-15 mm,bike is still very,very stable.No kidding,just ask Peter.

It does take more effort (force) to turn the thing in while heavy on brakes but that is how I like bikes to handle.Once again never had any instability probs.I know what instable bike is ,rode R1 with stock (worthless) suspension without steering damper.She would flap handlebars at slightest wrong input.After a while you get used to and it does not bother you.The think to remember if that ever happens-brake pads may get pushed away from rotors ,it takes couple strokes on the lever before they start working again.

Reworked frontend,rearsets and aftermarked shock cured R1.

Now looks like it is gonna rain on Sunday,going to Grattan,bike is wearing slicks :cry: :cry: :cry: :banghead: :banghead:

is it normal for the bars to shake when i let go and sit back cause i find it a bit of a worry, anybody have any suggestions for reducing this? :lol:

BRG Racing makes an adaptor kit for the XX for the Scott and/or Ohlins dampers and it should also work with the GPR which is similar. All of these have on-the-fly adjusting knobs.

The BRG adaptor fits okay, but you have to make sure that the piece that goes next to the tank -- has a step in it for the steel brake pipe (which is directly rearward of the steering head). If you go this route try to buy the Scott damper without any adaptor and they should knock off $150 to $200; that is, the damper body only should be around $300 or so at a discount shop.

As to the Hyperpro, I believe that there are two models of this damper and both are the plunger type; one fits on the side and has to be attached by cutting into the inner fairing vinyl shelf so the damper arm can be anchored there. The second is for later XXs and fits parallel to the triple clamp. You may have been given the wrong type for your year of XX.

As to needing a damper at all, a mechanic friend told me, "that's like asking a stripper whether she needs bigger bazoomas... And they always need bigger ones..."

new front tire did it for mine

is it normal for the bars to shake when i let go and sit back cause i find it a bit of a worry, anybody have any suggestions for reducing this? :lol:

New front tire and new steering head bearings and that will go away.

is it normal for the bars to shake when i let go and sit back cause i find it a bit of a worry, anybody have any suggestions for reducing this?

Keep at least one hand on the bars while you are riding.

Update:

Hyperpro does make an updated mount for the '00-up Birds. Looks like the distance between the motor mount bolt & fairing boss changed in that year. Not sure why, but it's almost like the lowered the engine 1/4" for the FI bikes.

I should have the new bracket next week sometime, but wish I would have gone the Scott's route had I known about it.

I'll post what I think of the Hyperpro once I get it all mounted.

I just got the Hyperpro unit and put it on. I really had no plans to get a steering damper but my shop had one laying around that i could score for under half price.

The Hyperpro damper is a nice piece, but as was alluded to in earlier posts, the mounting bracket was a horrible fit. I went to work with a bench grinder and got the thing on there, but if there actually is a different bracket available I should look into that.

Haven't ridden it yet, so I can't really comment on improvement. I'll try to post a pic soon.

T.

1) Thanks, Peter

2) I already bought the Hyperpro, and it would be a PITA to return it, as well as buy the Scott's unit to replace it, even though it looks like a cleaner install

3) That's the same mount that somebody already posted a link to in the first page of this thread. :poke:

Thanks for reminding me, though......... :kicknuts:

That's the same mount that somebody already posted a link to in the first page of this thread.

FINE ! :evil: ...

:wink: sorry I don't pay attention....just run accros the page and remembered you were looking for something like that....

But I won't bother in the future..... :twisted:

Cheers,