CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear suspension - up grade???

nambabwe

I had a similar problem with rear suspension since I ride about 50% of the time with a passenger and lots of luggage, and 50% solo. I bought a Hyperpro rear shock with hydraulic remote preload, rebound adjust and fast and slow comp. damping adj. The rear spring is very progressive and they sent me one after I sent them the weights when riding solo and double [186-331 kg/mm or 16-28 lbs/in].

This set up is working well so far. I am still fiddling with damping adjustments, but already it is a lot better than the stock setup. The remote preload adjustment is wonderful- 2 full turns of the wheel takes me from solo setup to dual touring.

Interestingly, the shock resulted in a 12.7mm longer height measured at the rear axle than the stock shock and I adjusted the sag so that my rear is about 7mm longer than the original height.

BTW: the 7mm shim that people use- how much higher is that when measured at the rear axle?

Cornering is a lot better and this can be maintained with the preload. I am also liking the progressive spring since I can set it a bit softer than before and the rear doesn't drop as much when big bumps are hit.

This is a good solution for people who have a large variance in weight on their bikes. I am not sure how it compares when riding very fast on smooth and lumpy roads to the Penske or Ohlins.

Tim

Hi MidNitXX,

I paid $759.20 for the rear shock and spring with remote preload. I think this is slightly cheaper than Ohlins. I would also suggest you get the fork springs and 5 wt oil to go with the rear. Talk to them at 888-963-1212 and bargain a bit. The nice thing is that they will match the spring to the weights you ride with. I am not sure if the damping rates change for the weights you send in.

I am happy with this setup-especially the ease at changing preload and damping to suit either fast solo mountain riding or dual touring.

I am still playing the these settings but am pretty close to what I like.

Tim

Hi MidNitXX,

I paid $759.20 for the rear shock and spring with remote preload. I think this is slightly cheaper than Ohlins. I would also suggest you get the fork springs and 5 wt oil to go with the rear. Talk to them at 888-963-1212 and bargain a bit. The nice thing is that they will match the spring to the weights you ride with. I am not sure if the damping rates change for the weights you send in.

I am happy with this setup-especially the ease at changing preload and damping to suit either fast solo mountain riding or dual touring.

I am still playing the these settings but am pretty close to what I like.

Tim

I bought my Ohlins from Dan Kyle for $750 OTD---But make sure you order an 18kg + spring for it

I'm having a heck of a time deciding what to go with. Since I have a 6" extension this makes my tail set up higher, which I don't like. At the same time it puts more leverage on my shock which makes it compress further on bumps so I can't back off my preload to adjust my height. I have already worn a hole in my undertail and when I ride 2-up I grind the undertail on every bump. I need less travel when 2-up or carrying bags. So I need the standard adjustable preload (hydraulic), adjustable compression and rebound, and adjustable ride height would be great. And of course I'd like to pay $200 :) But seriously, how many have ride height adjustment? Hyperpro does it seems but the it seems its already too long. Is one clearly better then another: Penske, Ohlins, Hyperpro at the same pricerange. Penske seems more expensive for the same adjustments the other two have.

I can buy an adjustable link for the suspension if I can get a real suspension under this thing :)

(and I already have the new springs in the front end)

Dan Kyle also seems to be selling the ohlins for $799 now?

I'm having a heck of a time deciding what to go with. Since I have a 6" extension this makes my tail set up higher, which I don't like. At the same time it puts more leverage on my shock which makes it compress further on bumps so I can't back off my preload to adjust my height. I have already worn a hole in my undertail and when I ride 2-up I grind the undertail on every bump. I need less travel when 2-up or carrying bags. So I need the standard adjustable preload (hydraulic), adjustable compression and rebound, and adjustable ride height would be great. And of course I'd like to pay $200 :) But seriously, how many have ride height adjustment? Hyperpro does it seems but the it seems its already too long. Is one clearly better then another: Penske, Ohlins, Hyperpro at the same pricerange. Penske seems more expensive for the same adjustments the other two have.

I can buy an adjustable link for the suspension if I can get a real suspension under this thing :)

(and I already have the new springs in the front end)

Dan Kyle also seems to be selling the ohlins for $799 now?

760. to my door,contact Andy1100 he may be able to help you

33%3A744%3B523232%7Ffp45%3Dot%3E232%3A%3D787%3D%3A4%3A%3DXROQDF%3E232353%3A73945%3Bot1lsi

What ever happened to the advice of using the CBR900RR shock and adding a Racetech spring?

This alternative runs about $150. That is, $50 for a used shock and $100 for the spring, which - by the way - can be had in a variety of weights. The 900RR shock is fully adjustable, preload and all.

Are you'll not going this route anymore for some reason?

$150 compared to $750... hmn? Hyperpro, Penske, Ohlins... Save $600 and just go used Honda with Racetech upgrade. Why not?

What ever happened to the advice of using the CBR900RR shock and adding a Racetech spring?

This alternative runs about $150. That is, $50 for a used shock and $100 for the spring, which - by the way - can be had in a variety of weights. The 900RR shock is fully adjustable, preload and all.

Are you'll not going this route anymore for some reason?

$150 compared to $750... hmn? Hyperpro, Penske, Ohlins... Save $600 and just go used Honda with Racetech upgrade. Why not?

The Racetech spring on the 900RR isn't stiff enough.

I went the 900RR route and got a Racetech spring that was so heavy I had to exchange it.

Racetech makes a variety of springs -- you choose the weight. I believe there was a thread on here which provided spring stock numbers to order according to your weight.

Anyway, if riders are opting out of the 900RR upgrade because all Racetech springs are too light -- hmm... that would be something. Are you sure about that? ...not trying to doubt this but just asking for clarification.

Thanks.

No, it's because the stiffest Race Tech spring you can get for a 900RR shock(a 16.0) is weaker than the stock 1100XX spring by about 45 lbs/in.

The 1100XX stock spring is on the light side as it is.