CBR1100XX.org Forum

Avon AV45 and AV46 tires

RodeRash

I have the 45/46 combo on my bike. Getting 1 front to every 2 rear tires. They seem to be sticky enough for me.

Going to put on another set when needed.

Ken

I had the 39 on the front, but the 36 definitely had better grip on pavement that was less than ideal, IMO.

46 works awesome when it's warmed up on good pavement, and is going to outlast the 36 by at least 2K, though.

I actually think the 46 is a little too sticky/soft for a 'sport touring' tire. I ran it once at the racetrack with very positive results. Only breaking the rear-end loose when cracking the throttle at near-full lean. It broke away very progressively and did not give me cause to clench sphincter. The front was planted. A couple of guys on slicks actually came over and commented on how well the bike was doing, given its size and tire selection.

-Pace

Dumb question coming: Why doesn't anyone use the bt57? I know they are harder to find, but how do they compare in the grip dept compared to the other sport turing tires out there? (Avon 46, BT020, pilot road, etc..)

I have a 98 with 7900 miles, and stock rear bt57 that I will be replacing any day now. I dunno which tire to use.....????

I don't use the Bt 57s 'cuz everything I've tried since the originals were mounted has had noticably better handling (IMHO). THe 57s would've lasted the longest (I pulled them at 4750 miles, fresh tires for a track day. They had maybe another 1k left in them). but they warmed up slow, felt greasy in the rain, and on occaision provided more excitement than I preferred when cornering. Hell, can you even buy them anymore? I thought they discontinued them for the BT 020s.

They can be found here anf there, but they are usually expensive. I was just curious to the handling characteristics between 57's and other types of sport touring tires. Guess I'll keep reading, then hang pics of tires on the wall, get blindfolded, then toss a dart to decide on my next set of tires! :grin:

Robb

• 2 months later...

So, after 5000 miles my AV46 has only .080" worth of tread until it's a slick. I got better mileage out of my Pilot Road and I rode it harder. Unless by some miracle this damn thing wears less as it's giving up the ghost I won't be buying another :evil:

Rant off...................

Any mileage reports on the new Conti yet?

I just changed out the rear on mine, an Avon 46 with 6500 miles on it. I am impressed enough with the tire and it's grip, that there is now another 46 on the rear. I probably had another 1000 miles or so on the center of the tire, but the edges were really screwed up after coming back from Tennessee. There was cupping on the edges of the rear and a lot of the rubber was gone. God...I love those roads in N.E. Tennessee :grin: