CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question about switching to Mobil 1

silverbird1100

I will agree, Mobil 1 15w50 is an extremly good oil and you will not hurt your bike in any way by using it.

All I'm pointing out is that it is no longer 100% synthetic.

Reason they are able to get away with calling it synthetic?

For those that have not heard.

Seems there was a lawsuit braut by, "I believe Castrol" against Exxon/Mobil.

Castrol claimed that the word synthetic was a marketing gimick, the government agreed. The government then ruled that it would be ok to use a certain amount of petrolium base in the manufacture of synthetic oil.

Two questions:

Has a poll been run regarding petroleum/ synthetic usage? I'm curious as to how many members still use petroleum-based oil as I haven't heard anyone on this forum mention about it.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of each type being used in motorcycles?

Thanks.

At the risk of really starting a shitstorm, I'll say this- I don't see any advantage to to conventional oils beyond the cost. Having said that, I'm gonna duck and run, you guys are on your own........

For what it's worth I've been using only Mobil 1 15-50 auto oil in all my bikes for years with no problems related to clutch slipping, wear, etc. I've put about 39K on my 2000XX, 28K on a '99 T-595 Triumph, 14K on my '93 Guzzi Daytona, and 26K on my old '79XS1100 Turbo since rebuild.

I've read many reports, some of which contradict each other about the additives, etc., however the internals of all these motors don't exhibit any significant wear patterns. Oil changes do happen around 3K on the watercooled and 1.5K on the air cooled motors, which I think is the real ticket to long life though no matter what oil you run. The price for the bike specific oils is ridiculous to say the least and I don't see any justification for the additional expense in my experience.

Just my humble opinion.

Happy hunting.

In my ST I've been running straight vegetable oil for 8 years now. It has 250000 on it and running strong. I prefer Wesson. :twisted:

:lol::lol: Is that the regular or the canola oil version? I've hear the types that are low in saturated fat work better.