CBR1100XX.org Forum

Question about switching to Mobil 1

silverbird1100

silverbird

there is a correction to the statement above, Mobil 1 has a motorcycle synthetic named MX-4T or M4-XT something like that, and it contains NO friction modifiers (i.e. moly disufide). this oil is designed for wet clutch motorcycles.

i have had it in my '00 XX for 8k miles and it is doing great.

hth

That sucks! When Sport Rider did their excellent oil test Mobil 1 showed use of Moly but no more than HP4. But that was back then, if they added even more junk, what's the alternative now? Castrol Syntec is $4/quart and you might as well be buying real bike oil.

Velocity, are you talking about Mobil1 15-50 specifically? I know the lighter weight automotive oils have the additives you need to stay away from, but the 15-50 has been known as motorcycle friendly for a long time. Hopefully that hasn't changed.

I switch all my vehicles over to Mobil 1 about a year ago after hearing such a great buzz about it. Since using it I've noticed Zero diference but will continue to use it. I had also heard of the histeria about the new "Super Syn" causing clutch plate problems but NO ONE has documented such problems. This was a hype that traveled along without merit. In my bikes I've switched to 15w-50 and change it out every 5K miles (makes it easy to remember to change it with the odometer reads 5 or 10K - no need to write it down and record anymore).

As I have said to those I know - I have yet to hear of a single oil-related breakdown regardless of oil with the except of an in-law who never changed her oil for many years. In my Acura I ran Castrol 20-50 dino oil and have 275K on the original engine and it's still going strong! I change that one every 5K.

Bottom line - I have read many tests that have shown Mobil one to be at elast as good as the others and better than most. I change it every 5K more so for piece of mind than anything else. You will be fine running Super-Syn (which is the new formula as of one year ago) in spite of the facctless rumors flating around, this is verified by many Goldwings, ST1100's and other bikes who run Mobil1 15w-50.

Hope this helps some

Steve

i like the Mobil 1 M4-XT 10w-30

as i understand it, moly disufide is a molecule that clings to the walls of surfaced to make them more slick. it basically fills in the low spots. in a wet clutch, filling in the low spots would destroy the clutch by making it slicker that greased owl shit.

other synthetics that contain friction modifiers such as moly are used by some cyclist, but they are probably dry clutch harleys and the such.

this synthetic (Mobil 1 M4-XT) is designed for use in wet clutch bikes. (contains no moly)

actually, my bike seems to shift easier with the Mobil 1 in it

my 2 cents

Velocity, are you talking about Mobil1 15-50 specifically? I know the lighter weight automotive oils have the additives you need to stay away from, but the 15-50 has been known as motorcycle friendly for a long time. Hopefully that hasn't changed.

I know...I used to use Mobil1 15W-50 in my bike too. But they started adding their "SuperSyn" Anti-Friction Technology to the 15W-50 as well. That's when I stopped using it. And so did everyone I know who used to use it too. :cry:

I've been using the Supersyn version for almost two years (up around 20,000 miles). My clutch is fine.

It's like Steve said up above, there was much concern and knashing of teeth when it came out, but it's fine, really. :) Sportrider tested the 15-50 along with a bunch of other oils last year (post Supersyn) and it scored high marks, even compared to much more expensive motorcycle specific oils.

Use the Mobil 1 15W-50 and a fresh filter, don't overtorque your drain plug, and ride a few miles just to warm the engine and check for leaks. You'll be fine. Unless you decide to learn how to do giant, smoking burnouts in your driveway before you leave. Then, you might have clutch problems, but I wouldn't blame it on the oil....

Edward,

From what I Get, AMSOIL rocks! The ME and MET professors that ride at school (some of them I still talk to/ride with) use amsoil because:

A. It's good shit

B. They are about the only mfg. that puts out their performance data

C. They are AT LEAST as good as the MX-4T that Mobil 1 has and charges $8/each for, and amsoil costs $5.85/qt.

I have been using the MX4T for awhile because it's readily avaliable at AutoZone and I didn't put that many miles on (maybe 6k/year) but now that I'm lookin at double/tripple that, I'm probably going to change over this next oil change.

My $.02

Mike

Edward,

From what I Get, AMSOIL rocks! The ME and MET professors that ride at school (some of them I still talk to/ride with) use amsoil because:

A. It's good shit

B. They are about the only mfg. that puts out their performance data

C. They are AT LEAST as good as the MX-4T that Mobil 1 has and charges $8/each for, and amsoil costs $5.85/qt.  

I have been using the MX4T for awhile because it's readily avaliable at AutoZone and I didn't put that many miles on (maybe 6k/year) but now that I'm lookin at double/tripple that, I'm probably going to change over this next oil change.

My $.02

Mike

Don't forget that Exxon/Mobil, Chevron/Texaco, Pennziol/Quacker State, Castrol and more than a few other manufactures of so called synthetic oils are now mixing some petrolium oil in with there synthetics base stock making them a synthetic blend.

It helps with the bottom line.

same here using Shell Rotella T Synthetic 5-40 but its 13.00 here at walmart. They to had a problem a months back some of their oil made some nasty smells. They would send you a total refund if you had that problem. Wasn't suppose to harm anything according to "them" Other than that its been great for me..

I've been using the Supersyn version for almost two years (up around 20,000 miles). My clutch is fine.

It's like Steve said up above, there was much concern and knashing of teeth when it came out, but it's fine, really. :) Sportrider tested the 15-50 along with a bunch of other oils last year (post Supersyn) and it scored high marks, even compared to much more expensive motorcycle specific oils.

Tim is correct.... there is nothing to worry about yet! There has been extensive testing done, and countless threads about Moly and Mobil One on this site.

Wish I had the time to get into this one with you guys... and prove that it's still safe, but I don't.

Don.... you're OK., don't panic.

I'm not worried about the Moly at all. Honda's own GN4 has more moly than MObil 1 according to the Sport Rider test. What I'm worried about is any other friction modifiers we don't know they slipped in there to screw us over for not paying triple for the bike oil.

Okay fellas, here the scoop on Mobil1 15-50 w/ SuperSyn.

It's fine. Really.

I'm not going to say it's better than this that or the other thing, I don't even want to get into that, but there is absolutely no problem running this oil in your bike. Promise :)