CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yoshi exhaust installation

XXBirdSlapper

Ok, in preparation for WIXX I finally devoted the time to installing the full yosh exhaust I bought for my 97 bird two years ago last week. Overall an easy install but tedious work making sure everything would be good for a 1000 mile weekend. Upon fire up it didnt seem too obnoxious. It did seem to sound deeper an louder by day three. After some ride time I think midrange actually improved. Of course with a powerfull machine feel is usually worthless. No stumbles or flat spots are obvious. I did not rejet yet. I thought I would just upsize the mains per the euro spec, and maybe shim the needles rather than go to a jet kit.

So....has anyone ever dynoed the steps I am looking at completing?  Also, I am tempted to try the decibel killer insert. As much as the bird sounds sweet, we had several ride segments that had me thinking the noise was asking for a talk with the man. Loved the quiet stock system but the RS3 was so cheap I HAD to buy it. Definately didnt need it.

And yes, I used the forum search tool...but didnt find the answers I seek. Oh, and all the birds on the ride had dual slip ons, and while I wasnt riding behind mine think its louder than the duals...

Comments?

I have that same system and same conundrum with noise, but I don't find it loud compared to other aftermarket systems.  If not for the weight loss and performance gain I'd go right back to stock, but it's a tough battle for me.  My certified and calibrated assometer registered a solid power gain above 5-6k and a bit of a loss below 4k.

I don't have any hands on with your carb thoughts, but they sound solid and what I'd probably do if nothing better came about.  Jet kits...I'm kinda tossed on them.  They generally seem to be overly rich.  I planned on installing a tuner on mine ('01) just haven't gotten 'round to it.

"After some ride time I think midrange actually improved."  This makes no sense as there's nothing about the bike that would adapt to the exhaust system so it's probably just your feel.  I would expect it to have more power in the mid-upper range as mine did when I went to the RS3, but yours is a different bike.  When I gutted the muffler on my Duc I expected a similar response, less bottom end and more top.  I was shocked when it started quicker and idled better both hot and cold.  It also seemed to have more power throughout the range.

Not that the bike adapted, but after I spent enough miles to get a feel for it it seemed stronger. Again, feel isnt reliable. Back when I did a LOT of bracket racing I could feel 5-10 hp. No way would I say I could now on the street.

I am with you on the weight loss. It was a big part of my decision to piss money into something I didnt really need.

9 hours ago, XXBirdSlapper said:

Also, I am tempted to try the decibel killer insert. As much as the bird sounds sweet, we had several ride segments that had me thinking the noise was asking for a talk with the man.

As long as you are not stretching the throttle cables, I can't see it being a problem.  At least in my area, straight piped Harleys are the norm and the cops don't mess with them.  The sound of a bike and is very subjective, just like the looks of a bike.  The very first thing I did when I got my Bird was try to increase the sound.