CBR1100XX.org Forum

1999 XJ questions

cecome

He was thinking about a couple small updates to his XJ. Cruise control. Seems like after market is the option. Would love to hear from anyone who can provide positive input for a brand or product. Getting a full size highway safe spare instead of the joke of a stocker. That might be just go buy a tire and a rim. Not sure. The input here is always of great value. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

Not Xj specific.

First, I would find and search as many jeep forums as I could.

the basic audiovox cs100 cruise was available for 30 plus years. I even installed it on air cooled VW. 

The product by Rostra seems to be the new replacement.  Forums, and a good shop manual should tell you if the basic wiring is already installed. 

For for a spare, I would go to a junk yard and buy any rim with the same tire size and bolt pattern.  I bet that you could get a plain Jane rim with a good tire for cheaper than the cost of a new replacement rim.

On August 10, 2016 at 11:46 AM, cecome said:

He was thinking about a couple small updates to his XJ. Cruise control. Seems like after market is the option. Would love to hear from anyone who can provide positive input for a brand or product. Getting a full size highway safe spare instead of the joke of a stocker. That might be just go buy a tire and a rim. Not sure. The input here is always of great value. Thanks in advance for any feedback!!

The wiring might be there for a factory CC, check on an XJ forum; I use cherokeeforum.com.  If so it should be easier than installing an aftermarket.  You could get new parts from a dealer or go to eBay, junkyard, CL, forums, etc. for the parts.

Mine has an exact matching wheel, didn't know they came with compact spares.  Mine's pretty well loaded, Laredo, so maybe it was an upgrade option.  The lug pattern is 5 on 4 1/2", same as older fords and many others so there's lots of options, just need to be sure the offset is the same or at least really close.  You can get an exact matching wheel at a junkyard, CL, etc., assuming it's got stock wheels, allowing for 5 tire rotations which has some benefits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, superhawk996 said:

You could get new parts from a dealer

As crazy as this may sound, I recently learned that many ancient Jeep OEM parts sell for the same price that they did in the 90s (same thing I found for our old BMW).

On 8/11/2016 at 0:50 PM, superhawk996 said:

Mine has an exact matching wheel, didn't know they came with compact spares.

Probably a 2wd thing.