CBR1100XX.org Forum

brake pad heat shields

ptxyz

upon inspection of my new to me 2001 red bird, i notice there are no heat shields between the pads and pistons in the fronts.  the back did have them.

on-line, it seems ebc pads (i believe the current pads are ebc) come with them but, most others do not.  honda seems to sell them with the pads as they're not listed as a separate part.

do you think these are required?  i've ridden the bike for almost a month as is.

if anyone has 4 of these they'd like to sell or knows where to get them without buying a set of pads, i'm interested.

on a related note, it appears honda replaced the little screw that covers the hole atop the pad retaining pin with a rubber plug.  my 2000 has the screw, the 2001 a plug.  take a look at the diagram.  part# 15 is not listed in the parts descriptions, but it shows # 24 (described as a plug) next to it in the diagram.  anyone here had # 17 the pad retaining pin back out?  i know part# 15's sometimes a bitch to remove, especially with the muffler in the way.

here's a link to the diagram & parts list from my local honda shop;

http://shop.gpsportsonline.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=6766342&category=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=2001&fveh=251892

01brake.gif

EBC-Brake-Pad-FA261HH-New-0.jpg

Edited by ptxyz

1 hour ago, ptxyz said:

upon inspection of my new to me 2001 red bird, i notice there are no heat shields between the pads and pistons in the fronts.

If they are aftermarket like EBC, I remember some people have a hard time fitting the shields in, just not enough room.  Unless I was racing it, not sure I would worry about it.

• Upvote 1

I would be afraid to run without the retaining screw unless Honda decided it wasn't needed.  My guess is someone lost it.  I've never seen this style caliper mounting that didn't have the retaining screw, but I haven't worked on a lot of them.

The heat pads shouldn't be any issue unless you're riding aggressively, race track style aggressive with lots of hard braking for an extended period.