CBR1100XX.org Forum

Audiovox Cruise got ya,

redxxrdr

So like many of us, I installed a Audiovox CS 100 cruise control.  It has worked great for 10 years, and thirty thousand miles.

Late last year, my bike would intermittently run rough.  A stumble would best describe it.

I was due plugs, but they did not help. All plugs were a little dark, but not fouled.

My gas mileage had also dropped from 220 miles per tank to 160.

Then it got worse. Intermittently, I would be hard on the throttle, and the bike would just jump to a higher speed.  

This was so un-controllable, that I was afraid to ride it.

No errors were logged in the ECM.

Since the bike didn't indicate a problem, I figured that it must have been a Farkle that I added.

I removed the cruise first.  Or I should say that I removed the cruise engine speed sense lead from my coil.

Three tanks later, and I have not had the problem come back.

The cruise must have been causing the coil to randomly misfire.

Just a heads up on a possible strange failure.

And a question?  Has anyone installed any of the newer cruise systems made today?

Any favorites?

Cruise is too nice to do without on a long legged bike like the XX.

also, i think that I will try to use the VSS signal on my next install.  I just didn't want to mod my harness in any way.

It's been many a moon since I installed a cruise control on anything, but we tried that engine speed thing once on a Toyota T100 (that oughta tell you how long ago it was.)  You set the cruise and it would go WOT intermittently.  We had to go old-school and put the magnet on the driveshaft because it was before Audiovox had the VSS location on the truck.

• 3 weeks later...
On April 17, 2016 at 1:35 PM, redxxrdr said:

So like many of us, I installed a Audiovox CS 100 cruise control.  It has worked great for 10 years, and thirty thousand miles.

Late last year, my bike would intermittently run rough.  A stumble would best describe it.

I was due plugs, but they did not help. All plugs were a little dark, but not fouled.

My gas mileage had also dropped from 220 miles per tank to 160.

Then it got worse. Intermittently, I would be hard on the throttle, and the bike would just jump to a higher speed.  

This was so un-controllable, that I was afraid to ride it.

No errors were logged in the ECM.

Since the bike didn't indicate a problem, I figured that it must have been a Farkle that I added.

I removed the cruise first.  Or I should say that I removed the cruise engine speed sense lead from my coil.

Three tanks later, and I have not had the problem come back.

The cruise must have been causing the coil to randomly misfire.

Just a heads up on a possible strange failure.

And a question?  Has anyone installed any of the newer cruise systems made today?

Any favorites?

Cruise is too nice to do without on a long legged bike like the XX.

also, i think that I will try to use the VSS signal on my next install.  I just didn't want to mod my harness in any way.

Ok so I'm slow.

Just now installing the same unit, where does the VSS attachment go?

Or should I get something newer?

Forget the cruise.  How in the hell did you ever get 220 miles from a tank without running it bone dry???

I once did 192 miles (where the light came on), but that was in the mountains, never below 5000' for the whole tank.

BTW, when is the last time you replaced your FPR?  Did the mileage come back after you removed the cruise?

I used the coil output instead of the VSS.  It's been years, but I'm pretty sure that it had to be programmed with the dip switches.  

I seem to remember that VSS came from a plug near the transmission.  I just avoid vampire clamps on all my upgrades, so used the coil output as engine speed instead.

Using engine speed has the drawback of possibly getting different " Resume" speeds, if you are in a different gear than the one you first set the control.

But hey, this is a bike.  We should be smart enough to figure that out.

Jon,

Didn't I post that I ride like an old lady??????:D

220 per tank was typically on flat Georgia roads at 55-60 MPH.  I get much less in the mountains, or at Jennings.

And FPR, well it's been a while.  Mine was from Turbo City when they still sold the higher pressure, ethanol rated FPR.

I never measured the pressure at the rail, Just replaced a leaking one.  

And yes,  my mileage appears to have come back up after removing the cruise.  Plus, the throttle is responsive again.

I don't have hard numbers on mileage yet.  I've been riding with my girls on the last few trips.  Translation, when I stop for gas, they all fill up on my nickel.

So I haven't gotten any solid numbers.  I just know that I have been above 180 miles, and still at two bars on the gauge.  Better than the 160, on flashing black that I was getting.