CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air Pump Recommendation Needed

Zero Knievel

My portable electric air pump broke. I'm looking for a replacement one that is a good quality but also inexpensive.

I could go with a manual or 12 V electric, but I want one that won't break after a few uses either. I only use it for either a roadside repair or topping off tire pressure in the morning while on a trip and there are no gas stations nearby.

Needless to say, it needs to be able to fit easily in a top or side case. The smaller, the better.

Edited by Aunt Sylvia

i have the SLIME branded one. Got it at Autozone for under $10 because of a misprint. I cleaned them out, and gave them away to other board members.

I believe it was Pete who broke the plastic housing off of his compressor,as naked it takes up a fraction of the space in your case.

slime powersport and a tubeless repair kit is what i keep on my bike.have had to use it a few times now and works great.made a shelf for it to sit on in the ducktail of my blackbird by tying a couple of bits of webbing in an x.i dont use the case it comes in,instead i have it wrapped in an old t towel so i have a rag as well to clean my hands with.the power cable and inflator hose fit under the tool strap and the tubeless repair kit sits under the seat where the owners manual is meant to be stored.

pretty sure mine is a slime powersport 2000.have had it for years so could have been upgraded since.

On trips I occasionally throw a small (frame mounted) bicyclist hand pump and repair kit in the gear. 

If you are practiced, a can of wd40 and a match will work if the bead is broken..

Edited by XXBirdSlapper

I vote for a Slime pump.  Cheap at Walmart or any auto store.  The only failure I've seen them have is a hose blowout, and it's usually right at the pump outlet - easy repair with a Leatherman and a couple zip-ties.

I've had three of them over the years, seated the bead on many a dirt bike tire out in the desert.  I still have two of them, I only got rid of one because it was too large with a pressure gauge on it.

• 4 weeks later...