CBR1100XX.org Forum

One of the reasons I bought the bird....

RXX

It was so fast and so foreign to me I thought I would never work on it. It would be neat to have the dealer do all the work.

Never been serviced by Honda. Now with 75K+ miles. Something about the challenge, and the satisfaction of being thousands of miles from home on a bike that is dependent on me for its running. Very Zen-like.

Oh, and as to what moves me, a growler of peach-wheat heffe and pachybels canon in D while I am fiddling about on the best motorcycle ever made.

I ain't perfect at it, but I ain't skeered.

post-1606-0-19504500-1436724697_thumb.jp

• Upvote 1

RXX ...right where I live. Well, mine might be Metallica with an IPA, but I'm with ya. The stator probably wasn't a big job last year, but is had some satisfaction to it.

It's kind of nice to know that the bike won't be the limiting factor in how fast or far I go.

Something about knowing how it goes together, and short of shitting out a fuel pump if one fails, you have a good shot at fixing it yourself. If it stops running in some inhospitable land, you don't have to panic.

I'd enjoy working on the Bird more if it didn't involve removing so much cosmetic stuff just to get to the part I need to tinker with.

It's like doing spark plugs on the newer cars. It's not the changing of spark plugs that's a bitch...it's getting your hand into that tiny space they left for you to work in to do the job (unless you want to pull the whole engine).

So this is the total opposite feeling Harley riders have.

I like working on bikes almost as much as riding them.

Well, I owned 2 AMF's. My experiences working on them was what prompted me to NOT work on the bird. But I got over it.

I'd enjoy working on the Bird more if it didn't involve removing so much cosmetic stuff just to get to the part I need to tinker with.

It's like doing spark plugs on the newer cars. It's not the changing of spark plugs that's a bitch...it's getting your hand into that tiny space they left for you to work in to do the job (unless you want to pull the whole engine).

Get a drill with a 3/8" socket adapter, a set of socket allen wrenches, a pair of cutters and a pack of black zip ties. Oh, and a sixer of your favorite brew. Beats sitting around listening to the adults in your house bitch about shit, or watching some shitty TV show or playing vidya games.

Or leave the plastics off. Just cosmetic stuff.

Cutting the fuel lines and putting in the quick disconnects was the single biggest "sanity saver" I did with regards to working on the XX. Makes most tasks located under the tank 500% easier to mess with.

I use those portable things called "visegrips" that work like a peach for preventing loss of petrol from the lines.

• Upvote 1