CBR1100XX.org Forum

Sprockets? Original or aftermarket?

Mikey

It's time to change my sprockets. Since I spend a little more time on the highway than I do skooting around town, I'm sticking with the original ratio. Now, do I go with original from Honda, or aftermarket? I'm not overly concerned with the wieght. I am concerned with hardness. I don't want a soft sprocket that's going to take out my chain, nor do I want a really hard sprocket that's going to...uh..take out my chain. Any suggestions? Keep in mind I'm in Canada, so some of the UK vendors may not have a sales group local. I'm looking at makes, not final vendors. That way I can call around looking for the part :]

Concur with Joe's comments.

Last time I had to change the Blackbird, I was in a bit of a hurry and didn't have time to order crap, so I just grabbed a set PBI front & rear sprockets.

They have performed just fine, but without a rubber damper like the OEM Honda sprocket. the front PBI sprocket is definitely a bit noisier.

imho, if you are not changing sizes, i would stay stock.

if not.... why not stay stock oem?

A good place to look for sprockets is from Mark at www.hugeindustries.com . He sells at pretty good prices, and he'll be able to answer any questions you have on sprockets.

I have been using AFAM front sprockets for most of the bike's life. I couldn't tell the difference in noise. Still using OEM rear, and they last forever so they don't need to be changed with each chain.

Hello all, i replaced the stock front with a larger sproket, (16) i think. Got it from a local bike shop thru lockhart/phillips. It is noisier than the rubber insulated stocker. I went larger cause all i do is freeway miles and it brought the RPMs down a little and increased the MPGs a couple of miles. I don't even notice it in town or in the twisties. Just my two cents worth.

hey sertman, stock size is 17. so a 16 would be smaller and increase rpms at a given speed.

are you sure the sprocket you changed was stock :?: maybe someone stuck a 15 on there :shock: .

My original chain and sprockets were replaced at 39k miles and was lubed w/ WD 40 every 200 miles.

They were replaced with a PBI fornt, Vortec rear, and an RK chain. The rear sprocket was shot at 54k miles and I put back on the original rear. Currently the front sprocket is hooked and you can rock it on the shaft! The chain is missing a few o-rings. This setup was lubed with chain wax every 500 miles.

I went to Ron Ayers and they have a chain and sprocket set made specifically for the XX. $265 delivered. I'm sticking with OEM from now on.

Great Day!

John

Thanks!

Just ordered OEM. Man they are WAY more expensive the aftermarket, but then again, all parts are. I'm starting to think that OEM is the way to go, the plastic always fits, the paint always matches, there aren't press burrs on the metal, or plastic mold bits still hanging off the lenses...