CBR1100XX.org Forum

installation of voltage meter

The Krypt Keeper

This post inspired me to mount a voltage meter on my new bike. First I made the switchbox from a $4 project box bought at Radio Shack as I needed a place to mount switches for my garage door opener and driving lights and didn't want to drill through panels on the bike. Since I already had power and ground running into the switchbox for the led light on the switch, I used it to power the meter and the front of the brake reservoir was the perfect size to mount the voltmeter with some of that 3M two-sided tape they use for car emblems and whatnot.

IMG_1795_zps00429f5a.jpg

I used it to power the meter and the front of the brake reservoir was the perfect size to mount the voltmeter with some of that 3M two-sided tape they use for car emblems and whatnot.

So you have to rip off the tape every time that you change brake fluid?

I used it to power the meter and the front of the brake reservoir was the perfect size to mount the voltmeter with some of that 3M two-sided tape they use for car emblems and whatnot.

So you have to rip off the tape every time that you change brake fluid?

Nope. Where the voltmeter is attached doesn't interfere with the removal of the reservoir top and the switchbox is attached with heavy duty velcro that doesn't cover the screws.

Straight to the battery for accuracy, tho consider the constant draw if you leave the bike parked long times without a tender. You could add a relay triggered by the ignition or a manual switch. For simplicity you could wire it to any of the ignition controlled circuits, it'll read lower than battery voltage, but would still indicate an issue once you know what the voltage should read. The smallest of fuses would still be enough to power it. Mounting could be done with 3M extreme double sided tape. It'll stay forever, but fairly easy to remove if you peel the tape back slowly. There's also one I found somewhere that's just a light; it shows different colors for ok, low, overcharge. It'll grab your attention quicker than a number changing and is very small. Cecome has one so you can ask him where he got it, but I think it's the older version that just shows ok and low.

you are pretty observant ..don't think it is the older version picked it up less than a year back, better check with rideonxx to confirm..love to see more pics of your new ride.

Clean voltmeter installation, also displays ambient temperature and instant MPG.

Note the coolant temp, it knew it was posing for the forum.

post-417-0-28003600-1413866073_thumb.jpg

Edited by superhawk996