CBR1100XX.org Forum

Michelin Pilot Power 3 rear tire-strange wear with a ridge forming.

superhawk996

This tire has few miles and only light twisty use with plenty of bitch strip for my hens to laugh about, can't say chicken strips around here without being looked at cock-eyed. Earlier today I discovered ridges on both sides about half way between the center line and the outer edge. I assume this is where the dual compounds meet; is it normal to have this ridge line? Anything to worry about?

Fuck you, you just wanna laugh at my strips. If I knew how I would so laugh at my ignorance instead.

Suddenly nobody believes I'm related to Carlos?

Good guess, it is backwards, but so is the sprocket so all should be fine. I did find some photos online of others with this tire and this ridge so I'm guessing it's normal. I'll try contacting Michelin about it just in case.

I really don't know how to post a picture. I took two and came in to post them and realized I'm clueless.

send them to my email address.......I'm PM it to you.

OK, thanks for the pics Superhawk. Yes, those are the normal lines where the two different compounds of rubber come together. The Michelin Pilot Power III has a medium compound 50% of the tire, then on the last 25% of the tire (on both sides of course) is the softer compound of rubber. That would account for the defined lines at the location that you are pointing to with your fingers. Another thing that Michelin does with this tire is to run the harder (medium compound) all the way across the tire....from edge to edge....kind of a "base" material. Then, that softer compound is made/used over the top of the harder compound base. This method of manufacturing gives the Power III a stiffer tire in the corners (to cut down on flex or tire movement), all the while utilizing a much softer compound in that area for very good corner grip.

Here are the pics that he sent to me, and I'm posting them with his permission. Then there is a link to sportbiketireservice.com that shows the layout of the tire.

PilotPowerIII_zps70cfa474.jpg

[url=http://smg.photobucket.com/user/vlklwood/media/Verns%20Pics/PilotPowerIII-1_zps0e31e4b1.jpg.html]PilotPowerIII-1_zps0e31e4b1.jpg[/

URL]

http://www.sportbiketireservice.com/Michelin-Pilot-Power-3-Rear.html

Edited by xrated

This is from Michelin

Pilot Power/Pilot Road Technical Information

Anti Static strip

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent. The positioning of this groove is slightly ‘off centre’ and can be seen in the diagram below.
  • Upvote 1

This is from Michelin

Pilot Power/Pilot Road Technical Information

Anti Static strip

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.

In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent. The positioning of this groove is slightly ‘off centre’ and can be seen in the diagram below.

Great read and very interesting info, thanks for that!

The carbon strip really works, my leathers have never clung to me. You'd think they would have also mentioned the compound transition ridge that'll form.

Thanks for posting the photos and all your guys' input.

My bird with a lifted rear and these tires is great, it's a completely different bike than my stocker with OE spec tires.