CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear Wheel

Dotetcher

In 140000 miles of BB riding/ownership I've done numerous brake jobs, tire changes, sprocket-chain changes etc. Since I'm getting older and a little less prideful I've got a question. More often than not I have some struggles remounting the rear wheel. LIning up brake pads on rotor, keeping spacers in place and everything else just seems to be more of a pain than it should be. So my question. Anyone have suggestions on how to make this process easier other than paying someone else to do it. TIA.

I sit behind the bike. I have a shovel with a broken (short) handle, although I've used an intact shovel in the past. Placing the shovel under the tire, I can use that to easily lift/lever the wheel into place. I will then often place a long screwdriver through the wheel to hold it in place while I jimmy the brake bracket and chain into place, then chase the screwdriver out with the axle, shifting the wheel as necessary with the shovel.

I've had a lot of XX rear wheels off, and the only thing I've found easier is a helper with a similar understanding of XX wheel installation.

The single biggest breakthrough for me was to spread the caliper/pads before re-assembly. Getting everything lined up was always a pain. Haven't had any trouble putting the rear on since I started that practice. A little grease on the spacers to hold them in place, put the chain on the sprocket, and she just lifts right into place if those pads have plenty of room for the rotor to slot into.

Good luck...

I put a piece of 2"X 12" under the wheel or whatever combo of pieces of wood it takes to just touch the bottom of the tire. It's much easier to move things around when you're not wrestling with the wheel.

Tnx all. Been using the piece of wood under the tire idea. I like the shovel suggestion Joe. Leg putting pressure on the shovel to lift leaves both hands free. Got to spoon on some new tires soon. I'll give it a try. On another note. Been through 7-10 sets of Michelin PR 2's. Looks like I'm going to have to move on to something else. Anyone try the PR 4's?

Hey Hank. Met you a year or so ago where 30 and 23 intersect in the Catskills. Our mutual aquaintance Tom from Jersey had mentioned he knew someone with a Turbo XX and we run into you a week or so later. Small world.

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone try the PR 4's?

I've been running the 3's for a few years... love them. Now I have a 1/2 worn 3 up front and a 4 out back. So Far, it's great.

If you happen to ride in the rain, the 3's or the 4's are worth the extra coin.

• Upvote 1

I have a pair of the 4's on now but haven't got enough miles to determine if it is a noticable improvement for the increase in cost.

I loved my 2's and then loved the improvement with the 3's and like the write up on the 4's.

Great pricing deals on the left-over 3's right now. Once the 3's are all gone then the price should drop on the 4's, at least that is what happened in the past with the 2's when the 3's came out.

Dotetcher, sure, I remember it well...the Sunoco station in Grand Gorge. Matter of fact, I gassed up at the same place last Tuesday on the way to Warrensburg NY, then on to Jackson NH, Williamsburg VT and finally home Saturday...
As far as tires, I ran 10 sets of Pilot Powers on the Turbo and a set of first generation Angel's.
Bought the ZX-14 with Road 2's and ran another set of them, then a set of Road 3's, a set of second generation Angel's and now Road 4's.

There were things about the 3's that I liked and some things I disliked...1 set was enough.

The Road 2's were a pretty decent set of tires.
The second gen Angels were real nice tires but I won't use them again since the front wore out twice as fast as the rear.
The 4's seem good but maybe a little vague in the twisties...still to early to tell as I haven't really gotten used to them and pushed them.

I'll know more about them in a couple weeks.
Hated the shovel btw...just 1 more thing moving around.

Edited by HANKSXXX

Oh and as for mounting the rear wheel/tire on the bike again... personally I have never had a bike that is easier...

On my bike it's pretty much, roll the wheel under the bike, line up the caliper, pop in the spacers, roll it in a little more, put the chain on, line it up, and slide the axle through. That's it.... easy. The only time it gets a little difficult is when I'm not on a nice flat surface, like in a parking lot.

ps. hint. hint. I have my rear shimmed and the front forks adjusted, so basically my rear tire is 1/16" off the ground. LOL no shit shovel required.