CBR1100XX.org Forum

Amber Lenses

Front and rear. Two left front, one right front. Several rear.

I know, I know… nobody wants/needs amber lenses. But I know as soon as the trash truck drives away, someone will be looking for a set, having dropped their bike on both sides at once. Maybe me.

Yours for postage. In the trash next Sunday.

I'd save them.

1. Some people DO use amber lenses, but if they don't need them, they won't think to buy them.

2. How much space can they possibly take up?

With the logic applied in (2), I have boxes and boxes of things that take up almost no space.

If you can bring a pair of Fronts to RacerXX I will put them on the shelf for whoever may need a set in the future.

Will do!

A collector friend had a problem finding OEM lenses for a bike he acquired at auction (not an XX) a while back. It was a bigger inconvenience than he had expected; it took him over a year to find a mint set to replace the aftermarket clear lenses a previous owner had installed. The longer a specific machine is out of production the less likely true OEM parts are available. The XX has been out of production (or effective availability in North America) for over a decade and the supply of OEM parts will only continue to diminish. We can be grateful that this board serves a rather close knit community of XX fans, offering a welcome and increasingly rare source of parts, knowledge and support. Thanks to one and all.

Speaking of which....my Clear Alternatives are slowly yellowing/mellowing to a bronze-ish color. I believe this is a combination effect of the aging of both the reflector and the lenses. The effect is more visible on the clear front lenses as they are starting to resemble the smoked version more so than the clear. Is this normal and to be expected with the CA products? John, Bueller, anybody? I purchased these from BikeBits around '07 or so I believe.

Speaking of which....my Clear Alternatives are slowly yellowing/mellowing to a bronze-ish color. I believe this is a combination effect of the aging of both the reflector and the lenses. The effect is more visible on the clear front lenses as they are starting to resemble the smoked version more so than the clear. Is this normal and to be expected with the CA products? John, Bueller, anybody? I purchased these from BikeBits around '07 or so I believe.

You should be able to polish out the clear lenses and return it to original clear appearance.

As the saying goes; "It will buff right out"