CBR1100XX.org Forum

'03 Bird won't start (absolutely no power)

desertrat

I moved last October and had a friend take care of getting my 2003 blackbird into storage. I think he tried the big "no-no" when trying to get it jump started and used his car. He won't admit to it and ASSERTS that he turned the car off before trying the jump.

Anyways, after the bike sat for 7 months, I installed the fully charged battery that I had taken out and now there is ABSOLUTELY no power when the ignition is on.

I checked all the fuses (including the main one) and they look fine.

Any help would be appreciated. I fear for the worst.

Michael

Mesa, AZ

Even if the car was running, the voltage should be about the same as the bike's charging voltage. What do you think the car would have damaged if it was running when he jumped it? There's always the remote possibility of the two charging systems "fighting" each-other and blowing a rectifier or something, but that wouldn't kill your power feed. I'd suggest checking the battery then the fuses with a voltmeter and with the key off then on. Your battery charger may indicate that the battery is fully charged even if it's dead. It can show full voltage and not have enough power to sustain voltage under a load-reason I say to check with the key on. Fuses can crack and not be easily visibly blown and the contacts can corrode and not transfer power-again why I say to check with the load of the key on.

• Upvote 2

THANK YOU so much for your time and inuput Superhawk! I will try that all out tomorrow. You definitely may be on to something with the battery. It is a few years old and Arizona isn't kind to batteries.

Thanks again and "let the force be with me" I need my therapist back on the road!

Michael

Battery thought....what is the reading?

(Around 13 volts +/-). If its less than 12 volts its likely gone.

Obviously, check for corrosion & good connections....

• 3 weeks later...