CBR1100XX.org Forum

Best source for new radiator ('99 XX)

Zero Knievel

I'm debating replacing my radiator. Not looking to splurge on a new OEM one, but it needs to be as good as OEM, and if used, in excellent condition (don't want to change one problem for another).

Anyone know a good source?

I would probably go with OEM for the XX radiator. Most aftermarket stuff that is cheap is exactly that,, CHEAP. It might look good, but I would bet that it won't cool as well as a OEM.

Ron Ayers, or Scott, (RACER212) might get you the best price on OEM. But as Joe says, Why?

Is yours leaking? bent, fins damaged? or is it not cooling properly? I have seen blogs showing the XX waterpump fins damaged due to silicate antifreeze. I would have your OEM radiator flow tested if you suspect it in a cooling problem.

I would probably go with OEM for the XX radiator. Most aftermarket stuff that is cheap is exactly that,, CHEAP. It might look good, but I would bet that it won't cool as well as a OEM.

Ron Ayers, or Scott, (RACER212) might get you the best price on OEM. But as Joe says, Why?

Is yours leaking? bent, fins damaged? or is it not cooling properly? I have seen blogs showing the XX waterpump fins damaged due to silicate antifreeze. I would have your OEM radiator flow tested if you suspect it in a cooling problem.

It blew a leak when I first went cross-country. A local shop repaired it, and it seems to hold (although I've seen puffs of steam but no fluid leakage). The shop fixed it by essentially epoxying the section where the leak was located. This year, I kept thinking the bike was getting hot too quick and cooling down slowly.

I don't HAVE TO replace it, especially given the mileage and age of the bike and my being on the hunt for its inevitable replacement, but I keep thinking if I can nab a top-condition replacement, maybe I should and know I've replaced it with one that's not patched up.

Try to find used one that is in near brand new condition for like 100 bucks or so on the ebay . Mine also developed a leak , at left lower corner , I guess enough dirt in those "sponge" like inner panels and 180 k miles will do it . It was easily fixable in a field conditions using Permatex radiator epoxy kit and it got me home from West Coast without any additional drama .

I don`t wanna get into details how I knew that Permatex kit works rather very well , but it involves brand spanking and new expensive dual pass Koyo Rad , and auxiliary electric fan-mounted-too-close on my toy car . :icon_whistle:

Anyhow , there was so much shit packed between radiator fins/tubes that I decided to replace it anyway . It does run cooler now .

BTW, radiator guard should be mandatory OEM equipment on motorcycles . I made one from some anodized aluminum mesh panels that happened to be laying around . I used some rubber tubing as spacers , zip tie here and there , and - boom - done .

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Zero.....I have a radiator and fan assy. from a 99 with less than 30,000 miles.

Fins are all in good shape and its on a running bike.

Oil cooler avail also, along with hoses, lines, etc...

If you're still looking, PM me and we can go from there.

Hank