CBR1100XX.org Forum

Ethanol Free Gas Stations

EVLXX

You ever notice how so many stations are at marinas? At least in VA they are.

Talking to a Stihl dealer a yr ago he said that in the past couple of yrs since nonethanol fuel is impossible to get, the amount of warranty work for engine failure has skyrocketed on chainsaws. Ever notice now that them little primer bulbs on lawnmowers and small engines now get hard and crack along with the fuel lines 10X faster than yrs ago when they lasted for yrs without issue.

Why?

You should know why...

Where ???

Is usually the question I would like to know. Well I finally found something to help me/you with that question.

Here... http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp

Note: you need to click on your State in the bottom box, to view the list.

You're preaching to the choir, brother. Been harping on this for a few years now, ever since someone posted the link. BTW, if you type in "pure gas.org" (not "pure-gas.org") you're gonna go to one of those aggregator type sites that is totally useless.

They are usually mom & pop stations, BTW. I think the story is that blended fuels need the newer tanks.

Talking to a Stihl dealer a yr ago he said that in the past couple of yrs since nonethanol fuel is impossible to get, the amount of warranty work for engine failure has skyrocketed on chainsaws. Ever notice now that them little primer bulbs on lawnmowers and small engines now get hard and crack along with the fuel lines 10X faster than yrs ago when they lasted for yrs without issue.

And yet, who really cares ?........... No Really, WHO ?

Less than one percent, I bet.

You're preaching to the choir, brother. Been harping on this for a few years now, ever since someone posted the link. BTW, if you type in "pure gas.org" (not "pure-gas.org") you're gonna go to one of those aggregator type sites that is totally useless.

They are usually mom & pop stations, BTW. I think the story is that blended fuels need the newer tanks.

Preaching to the want to be choir boy... only problem is... there's No choir. After posting this topic... look how many people here give a shit. 2 maybe 3...

If you posted it before and I forgot, good job. (actually my computer died last year and I lost all of my Favorites)

Here's a funny one for you... go to Iowa. Where they grow Corn. There Premium gas 91 Octane (Blended) costs less than Regular 87 Octane (100%), because all the farmers know it's an inferior product and won't buy it, so demand is down so much so, that the price is below that of Regular.

Too bad the Rest of the country isn't as smart as them Farmers eh.

Power and performance, How much would you think the average Jo be willing to pay to get 4 more HP out of there XX.....???

I have thought about making a Phase separating apparatus, but that would be a risky deal at this point since I wouldn't have any way of knowing what the end product Octane rating would be.

... My other option is to buy from the Fuel distributor directly... but the 2 I know of locally are 25 and 35 miles away. Which doesn't make it any more cost effective.

Looks like the closest station to me is in Colwich, KS about 12-15 miles away. :icon_wall:

Here is the ironic part: Colwich is famous for its...........

anyone..........

anyone............

ETHANOL PLANT!

Got a cool kickass ethanol plant about 25 minutes from me in West Point VA.

George W. Bush visited the place while in office...

mentioned how terrible the roads were coming down from DC... should have used marine 1 instead.. maybe his pussy wouldn't ache after a car ride..

never heard anything about the plant from him though. :icon_biggrin:

Even normally aspirated engines can potentially make more power on ethanol then pump gasoline , fuel economy , of course , is another story .

On turbocharged engines it is not even close , ethanol rules as far as powah .

BTU/lb

Ethanol 12500

gasoline 19000

fuel /air ratio ( weight )

ethanol 1:6.5

gasoline 1:12-13 ( best power )

So you can burn twice as much ethanol as gasoline from available oxygen ---> potential for more power on ethanol ( 19000btu vs 2X 12500btu)

Heat of evaporation

ethanol 410

gasoline 135

Octane is higher too , RON 105-115 , MON 90 . That plus heat of evaporation explains why the turbocharged engine can safely make way more power on ethanol , boost can be safely increased .

I`ve crossed Iowa on fricking I-80 many , many times . I`ve actually experimented between cheap ethanol 89 , and normal 87 and 92 .

The only time mpg differs is when I use 87 on XX .

It goes down although I do run one point higher CR , so I guess 87 is not enough octanes and ECU retards timing .

On my POS Swedish turbocharged cars it does not make a difference whatsoever , I pump cheap 89 . BTW Iowa`s premium is very , very expensive , it is like 40-50 cents more then 89 .

Keep in mind my experience with Iowa 89 is limited to highway cruising , no WOT runs , 1/4 mile , trackdays , etc , so ymmv .

It one point I seriously considered converting my track R1 to E-85 , it appeared I would get about 10 % more power but it was too much work involved ( ignition module , machine work to bump compression , changing of fuel lines , possibly fuel pump ) , and the only place where I could actually use that extra power would Road America anyway . All other places around here are too tight , I don`t even get into 5th gear . LOL .

BTW , I`m not pro- ethanol in any shape or form , tree hugger , etc .