CBR1100XX.org Forum

Rear fender extension/mudflap?

Zero Knievel

You are going to put mudflaps on a Bird? :icon_slap:

Well, if you extend the rear fender well a few inches, it prevents a lot of upward splatter on the back of the bike in the rain.

Just go to Autozone and buy a black rubber mud flap with the chrome girl on it and cut to fit. Duh..........

John always talks about Jaws huggers. Might be better than mud flaps.

I found huggers.

Those are only good for protecting the wheel well from stuff kicked up. It doesn't protect the tail of the bike from road splatter.

Steve (CBRXX) has a piece of sheet metal flashing that he zip-tied into his license plate, adding 5" or so to it. Did you notice it? Maybe he can post a picture. You could paint it clear and no one would even see it until it got mud on it. Or put stickers on it, or tape a photo of someone you love, whatever.

Steve (CBRXX) has a piece of sheet metal flashing that he zip-tied into his license plate, adding 5" or so to it. Did you notice it? Maybe he can post a picture. You could paint it clear and no one would even see it until it got mud on it. Or put stickers on it, or tape a photo of someone you love, whatever.

He did say it was nice at keeping the grap off the top box in the event of rain.

I just wash my bike personally. Was outside at 6am Sunday washing off the bike from our little ride on wet roads.

Haha, yea, he asked about that at wvxxt. :icon_biggrin:

It's just a piece of roof flashing, 2 holes to match up with bottom of plate, and zip tied on behind plate. Put an outward curve on it for better protection. I only attach for long trips when I have my Ventura bag on the back, as it normally gets a lot of slop on it. If I had a plastic top box, would not be concerned, but the Ventura is not exactly waterproof. I have removed the factory plate mount, as has most everyone else, so that is the main problem. With factory plate bracket, I'm sure is a lot less mess.

Zero, were you not paying attention?? :icon_rolleyes: I told you to go looking at Jaws site as I recalled seeing a solution there in the past!

vfrtail.jpg

He has that "duck tail" that I remember, should probably just get one for myself to attach for trips, and another option called "butt flap"

Look here: Jaws Bird Page

I also pointed out to you the factory bracket on Pete's bike, you could get one of those, would likely be similar protection, since it places the plate lower and farther out. Ebay is your friend.

He has that "duck tail" that I remember, should probably just get one for myself to attach for trips, and another option called "butt flap"

Look here: Jaws Bird Page

Ah...farther down on the page....got it. :icon_redface:

It might seem easier to just wash the bike, but....

1. A lot of stuff gets up into the nooks and crannies of the Givi rack...even without rain, and it's harder to clean.

2. Stuff gets into the lock mechanism of the top Givi case. I found it troublesome to clean it all out as I wind up degunking all the lube out of the lock and having to relube key parts. I'd rather protect it altogether. Especially since on long trips I really don't have the means to tear things down and really get all the gunk out that wet roads might throw up into stuff.