CBR1100XX.org Forum

Air Filter advice?

CAMOETO

I just got a 2002 Bird, and need to do some standard maintenance on it. One of the things that needs to be changed is the air filter, however after calling local dealers nobody has the OEM one in stock. I figured I would order one myself on the internet, but it seems that the options are kind of odd as I was not able to find the stock unit anywhere, so I am down the following options:

- K&N

- BMC

- Emgo stock replacement

- Hiflo stock replacement

Which of these would you recommend? Also, is the stock filter still available anywhere?

What's wrong with having your dealer order it in? Should be faster than Ronayers etc,maybe more$ but you don't pay shipping. Be careful if you order one online you don't order the 97-98 filter,its different.

I didn't think BMC made one for inj. Birds.

I have a K+N in my 01. I will be ordering a OEM replacment on my next service cycle.

Ron Ayers is OK, but slow.

Your Stealer is a good choice if the price isn't too much higher.

I see fine particles on the filtered side of my K+N. I did not see any improvement in power.

So I figure OEM for a little money every few years is better than a engine rebuild.

What's wrong with having your dealer order it in? Should be faster than Ronayers etc,maybe more$ but you don't pay shipping. Be careful if you order one online you don't order the 97-98 filter,its different.

I didn't think BMC made one for inj. Birds.

I guess I could get it from the stealer but it's about $10 more expensive there and I have to drive 40 minutes one way to get there once they do get it in. There is still snow outside so I'm in no hurry... The Hiflo seems to have decent reviews on the net so I will probably get that or the OEM one from RonAyers for a few bucks more.

Hey neighbor. If you want a k&n, make an offer and you can have mine. I went back to stock.

Thank you for the offer and normally I would have be all over it, but it seems that you guys seem to dislike them. I'm not running a power commander either so I think OEM or OEM like replacement may be the best bet. Then again, I don't know shit, so if I'm wrong convince me otherwise and I will buy it from you.

Not gonna convince you of something you don't need. On a stock bird the stock filter is more than adequate.

+1

My XX came with a K&N. It now sits in a box. Stock filter offers better filtration for the motor, and my PCII map relies on stock equipment on the bike. I'm happy with how it runs so I won't ever use the K&N anymore (BTW, anyone want my K&N?...lol).

Not gonna convince you of something you don't need. On a stock bird the stock filter is more than adequate.

Thanks for the advice. My bike does have Yoshi slip-ons, but no power commander. Stock filter it is.

I do find it pretty interesting though that the XX is the first performance vehicle I own (be it bike or car) where some kind of intake modification/performance filter is not one of the recommended mods.

If you have not already, meander over to the garage section. There is a ton of info on intake, exhaust, and power commanders. I recomend you wait for a while before doing any more mods. Get to know the bike to see if it really needs anything else.

Go with OEM or EMGO.

Everything else is overpriced marketing Junk.

what is emgo?

Aftermarket "OEM style" air filter... see here...

http://www.google.com/#q=cbr1100xx+emgo&am...239&bih=535

oh and just to save you a little time comparing apples... here is the RonAyres link for an 99+ model air filter...

http://www.ronayers.com/ProductDetails/N/687/SKU/267979

Some issues with K&N is people over oiling them. That excess oil coats everything past it and no matter what you do for filtration dust will get past it.

I can`t quite can make sense out of that .

All this talk about K&N not offering enough filtration is an nonsense and urban legend . My bird has something like 160-170 k Miles and the bike has had KN ( and full Yosh system ) almost from the day one .

It all depends on your circumstances , if you plan on keeping the bike for long time reusable filter like KN will save you money .

All this talk about K&N not offering enough filtration is an nonsense and urban legend.

It's not a question of inadequate filtration. If K&Ns couldn't do that, nobody would use them. But an OEM filter does filter better....higher rate of flow usually comes at the cost of how well it filters out contamination. I'm sure K&N is well within what is acceptable.

All this talk about K&N not offering enough filtration is an nonsense and urban legend . My bird has something like 160-170 k Miles and the bike has had KN ( and full Yosh system ) almost from the day one .

It all depends on your circumstances , if you plan on keeping the bike for long time reusable filter like KN will save you money .

Maybe... it'll save you money... the problem with that part of the statement is that K&N filters do need to be cleaned regularly, they do wear out, and they need to be replaced. So... one could maybe argue about the cost thing, if one wanted to get really technical... but I'm not going to put that much effort into it.

What I will add however is this... A link to someone that actually spent the money and did the testing. Here...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k...er-t180100.html

Now, take that information and make of it what you want out of it... for me, I quote this paraghraph out of it...

However, if a filter is using "better airflow" as their marketing tool, remember this....Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, our engines CAN'T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to be recognizeable. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

Maybe... it'll save you money... the problem with that part of the statement is that K&N filters do need to be cleaned regularly, they do wear out, and they need to be replaced. So... one could maybe argue about the cost thing, if one wanted to get really technical... but I'm not going to put that much effort into it.

What I will add however is this... A link to someone that actually spent the money and did the testing. Here...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/debunking-the-k...er-t180100.html

Now, take that information and make of it what you want out of it... for me, I quote this paraghraph out of it...

However, if a filter is using "better airflow" as their marketing tool, remember this....Does it flow better? At very high airflow volumes, probably. BUT, our engines CAN'T flow that much air unless super-modified, so what is the point? The stock filter will flow MORE THAN ENOUGH AIR to give you ALL THE HORSEPOWER the engine has to give. And this remains true until the filter is dirty enough to be recognizeable. At that point performance will decline somewhat. Replace the filter and get on with it.

Practically speaking the last paragraph is right on. If one were to be quite precise and check the numbers in the writeup, you will see that the KN filter loses about 0.2 percent of an atmosphere and the worst is more than twice as much. So the density loss should be well under a hp, but it is technically correct to say the KN flows more.