CBR1100XX.org Forum

Stator Replace?

jaykup

If it ain't broke....don't fix it.

At most, locate your choice of a replacement R/R so you have one if needed, but the R/R will either go or it won't.

My money is that the R/R is what tends to go. If not caught in time, it may damage the stator, but the stator is just a circle of magnets with wires. It should last as long as your bike does barring damage or defect done to it.

I just replaced my R/R...just under 80K. It may have needed it earlier, but I don't think the R/R went bad as much as it was damage to the wires going to the stator (corrosion at the connector causing arcing that burnt the plug and damaged the wire insulation). New R/R is hard-wired to the stator as recommended.

If you want to have peace of mind, install a Datel voltmeter (or a voltmeter of your choice) on the XX. Know what voltage range is normal. So long as the bike isn't going outside that range, odds are there is nothing to worry about. The chief diagnostic of charging system trouble is your voltage output at different RPMs. The voltmeter lets you know in real time if anything odd is going on or not. DO check your R/R's wiring hookups at least once a year. My guess is that if there's something odd going on outside of an outright R/R failure, it's damage to the wires from exposure to the elements.

Same reason why some recommend doing the wire loom fix whether it's causing a problem or not.

I agree with Zero on the stator.

As for the R/R, I think the ones on later model Birds last a lot longer. Heat seems to be the enemy. I'm wondering if anyone here has tried mounting it elsewhere on the bike for more air-flow, like on a Hayabusa.

Also, if you don't want to go to the trouble of "hard-wiring" the stator to the R/R, get some di-electric grease or silicon grease and clean and lube all the connections to the R/R. That will get you a long ways.

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried mounting it elsewhere on the bike for more air-flow, like on a Hayabusa.

While a Hayabusa is a little faster than the 'bird, I think mounting your R/R to another bike would be problematic - the resistance in all that additional wiring would likely overcome any gains the additional airflow of mounting it to the Suzuki would get you. It would be easier to have the Hayabusa follow you everywhere with a spare R/R.

Finally, a tech thread where people don't dogpile me for being full of shit. :icon_lol:

Don't be so sure...it's early yet and most people are at work...

Having examined three burned stators, I do infact disagree with Zero. It appears that the stator failures can be caused by breakdown of the insulation on the solid magnet wire used for the coils, heat and vibration over time being the likely culprit. Most likely the stator would last longer with less heat cycles, but there is no way to alleviate the stress it receives. It also is true that a short in the RR could take out a stator. In one of the three examined it appeared that the RR was the culprit as the entire "phase" winding, i.e. every third coil was burnt. Just my observations so far.

Finally, a tech thread where people don't dogpile me for being full of shit. :icon_lol:

Don't be so sure...it's early yet and most people are at work...

Having examined three burned stators, I do infact disagree with Zero. It appears that the stator failures can be caused by breakdown of the insulation on the solid magnet wire used for the coils, heat and vibration over time being the likely culprit. Most likely the stator would last longer with less heat cycles, but there is no way to alleviate the stress it receives. It also is true that a short in the RR could take out a stator. In one of the three examined it appeared that the RR was the culprit as the entire "phase" winding, i.e. every third coil was burnt. Just my observations so far.

You're a good man, Charlie Brown :icon_whistle:

Valid point, but does it merit a preemptive replacement of a part absent any evidence of malfunction?

I'm wondering if anyone here has tried mounting it elsewhere on the bike for more air-flow, like on a Hayabusa.

While a Hayabusa is a little faster than the 'bird, I think mounting your R/R to another bike would be problematic - the resistance in all that additional wiring would likely overcome any gains the additional airflow of mounting it to the Suzuki would get you. It would be easier to have the Hayabusa follow you everywhere with a spare R/R.

Okay, that made me laugh.

SMART-ASS!!!

Statistically speaking, it was bound to happen eventually. :icon_biggrin: