CBR1100XX.org Forum

Battery: last how long without a battery tender?

BobZ

In about a month I am moving into a condo and while it has underground/enclosed parking there will not be anywhere for me to plug in the bike's battery tender. So, about how long will the battery last without riding it? I expect to ride it at least once a week until it sells and since the battery is less than 6 months old I would think it should be fine...thoughts?

If the battery's in good shape, it could sit for over 3 months without being run at all and still start on the first try.

I put my battery tender on once every month. The unit indicates fully charged in under a minute.

A week should be fine unless the battery is already having issues. If you have to leave it for more than a few weeks, I would remove the ground terminal to reduce the level of parasitic drag from the bike, but it will still self-discharge some even disconnected.

Good info here: http://www.batteryuniversity.com

I expect to ride it at least once a week until it sells and since the battery is less than 6 months old I would think it should be fine

If you ride once a week, why would you put a tender on it? It will be fine.

Force of habit I guess...it only takes a second to plug it in.

But thanks all, it sounds like it should be fine.

My 06 SV650, with the factory battery still in it, has been sitting in my shed for about 3 months. Decided to put my tender on it just in case, and just like Zero said, I had a green light in about a minute.

FYI, I have lost 3 rectifiers over the last 14 years that I have owned 97-98 Blackbirds. The cause of the loss was battery issues, not charging regularly. I recommend a battery tender all the time, if you can. However, I run a fuel pump on a 98 carbed bird. I have now installed the latest and greatest heavy duty rectifier, seems to be much better than stock, which was never designed to run an electric fuel pump. If you cant' charge it on the bike, take it out and charge it. Probable takes about 2 minutes. Hope this helps.