CBR1100XX.org Forum

Turbo kit for Blackbird

grahamcuk

I'd suggest a range of 8 to 12 hours.

Part of the kit will involve either tipping the motor forward or dropping it to install a thicker headgasket.

At that time, I suggest disassembling the head, decarbonizing it, lapping the valves and installing new seals on the guides.

Lets say that doing the head is in addition to the basic install.

The install of the turbo system is pretty basic and easily accomplished.

Final checking and adjusting of the air-fuel ratio is required and is hard to guess.

We are finishing up the first 2 kits now and will soon be redy to start on the next orders.

As I've said before, they are designed after a lot of back and forth and built to order.

50% down with the order, 50% upon completion, prior to shipping.

We are allowing 6 to 8 weeks but will strive to shorten that time by maintaining a small stock of custom fabricated parts.

Parts that are purchased are generally readily available and we will try this approach in the future.

Hank

Im interested but dont want to do the install.....lol lazy I know... if im going to take the head off its going to get port and polished oversized stainless or ti valves maybe some cams or at least adjustable sprocekts for the cams then pistons and rods and now its a 10K+ build....lol

Im interested but dont want to do the install.....lol lazy I know... if im going to take the head off its going to get port and polished oversized stainless or ti valves maybe some cams or at least adjustable sprocekts for the cams then pistons and rods and now its a 10K+ build....lol

Removing the head is a snap and it is done purely to lower the CR.

If your head is known to be in good shape with low miles, going through it is unnecessary and the rest of the work a waste of $.

You can gain the same HP as all the head and cam and pipe and carb mods in the world by turning the adjustment knob on the boost controller and adding 1-2 lbs of boost. What you will really do is gain in the torque dept. My bike makes 125- 135 lbs tq at 8 lbs and 155 lbs tq at 12 lbs.

Those power levels are impossible to achieve with a NA BB motor and in fact you can't even get close...Figure 90 lbs if you're spend a lot of money and get real lucky. This doesn't even take into account the stress levels on parts...Very high on NA while very low on the turbo.

The pistons and rods only become necessary above 275 RWHP and then the pistons more so than the rods.

I have had a set of custom CP pistons (the first and only set made) on the shelf at my distributors since December or so and can have rods, standard length as well as custom, in 4 to 6 weeks. These parts are designed to withstand 30 pounds of boost, entirely unnecessary for anything but shootout bike horsepower, but they are there and the work has been done to make them available. They are cheaper than you would think.

The limiting factor and the beauty of a well designed kit is to make the most HP safely on pump gas and thats right about 250 RWHP.

At that power level, all internal components are fine with a proper tune-up.

Hank

Yup can't wait. If I didn't need a new clutch,sprockets and chain my labor time would be lower. Of course you always see or want to do something else "while it's apart". I'm also adding two gauges which I still don't know how I'm going to mount them. Spring is around the corner and I'm dyin to ride the turbo bird. :icon_biggrin:

Yup can't wait. If I didn't need a new clutch,sprockets and chain my labor time would be lower. Of course you always see or want to do something else "while it's apart". I'm also adding two gauges which I still don't know how I'm going to mount them. Spring is around the corner and I'm dyin to ride the turbo bird. :icon_biggrin:

I'll send ya a pic of an easy mount to make...

Removing the head is a snap and it is done purely to lower the CR.

If your head is known to be in good shape with low miles, going through it is unnecessary and the rest of the work a waste of $.

You can gain the same HP as all the head and cam and pipe and carb mods in the world by turning the adjustment knob on the boost controller and adding 1-2 lbs of boost. What you will really do is gain in the torque dept. My bike makes 125- 135 lbs tq at 8 lbs and 155 lbs tq at 12 lbs.

Those power levels are impossible to achieve with a NA BB motor and in fact you can't even get close...Figure 90 lbs if you're spend a lot of money and get real lucky. This doesn't even take into account the stress levels on parts...Very high on NA while very low on the turbo.

The pistons and rods only become necessary above 275 RWHP and then the pistons more so than the rods.

I have had a set of custom CP pistons (the first and only set made) on the shelf at my distributors since December or so and can have rods, standard length as well as custom, in 4 to 6 weeks. These parts are designed to withstand 30 pounds of boost, entirely unnecessary for anything but shootout bike horsepower, but they are there and the work has been done to make them available. They are cheaper than you would think.

The limiting factor and the beauty of a well designed kit is to make the most HP safely on pump gas and thats right about 250 RWHP.

At that power level, all internal components are fine with a proper tune-up.

Hank

My engine is in great shape, 16k miles (prolly only 14k as i have changed sprockets) but fully tuned up and had hours of dyno tuning a couple years back after I finished the build.

Yes... would have to look into the pricing and shipping , Carbie and Fi ?

cheers Graham

Will you be able to supply the basic kit to Australia ?

Interesting thread, turbo is the way to go on this bike and I'm almost keen to buy a Blackbird again to put a lung on.

Is any of you turbo guys using methanol to solve the fuel quality issue? This is what I'm running on my car since several years. A couple of 100 ml/minute meth/water mixture increase the octane rate and keep the combustion temperature down. http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/R...mview=slideshow

Bump, no one using meth (other than for getting stoned) ?

I have a 67SS427 Impala with a 12.5 to 1 comp.solid roller motor- use a snow meth. inj. kit allows me to run 36 to 38 deg. timing and 93 pump gas-works great! tryed octane booster,retarded timing,060 copper head gasket nothing worked until I tryed the meth. inj. runs cool-no ping and its cheap (325$)

Interesting thread, turbo is the way to go on this bike and I'm almost keen to buy a Blackbird again to put a lung on.

Is any of you turbo guys using methanol to solve the fuel quality issue? This is what I'm running on my car since several years. A couple of 100 ml/minute meth/water mixture increase the octane rate and keep the combustion temperature down. http://www.alcohol-injection.com/en/

http://s407.photobucket.com/albums/pp153/R...mview=slideshow

Bump, no one using meth (other than for getting stoned) ?

I have a 67SS427 Impala with a 12.5 to 1 comp.solid roller motor- use a snow meth. inj. kit allows me to run 36 to 38 deg. timing and 93 pump gas-works great! tryed octane booster,retarded timing,060 copper head gasket nothing worked until I tryed the meth. inj. runs cool-no ping and its cheap (325$)

Interesting, and congrats to a real great car/engine :icon_smile:

Finished !!!!! two customers turbo exhaust systems completed, one carbie , one Fi , both for single right side tail pipe (muffler)

post-53763-1331926777.jpg

Finished !!!!! two customers turbo exhaust systems completed, one carbie , one Fi , both for single right side tail pipe (muffler)

They came out great....Can't wait to see them.

Looking good Graham.

I'll be using this cheap Chinese thing to begin with :icon_redface: . Welds etc. are OK but the design is probably catastrophic flow wise. I'll see if it will make 200 whp :icon_think:

post-3595-1331976873.jpg

Looking good Graham.

I'll be using this cheap Chinese thing to begin with :icon_redface: . Welds etc. are OK but the design is probably catastrophic flow wise. I'll see if it will make 200 whp :icon_think:

post-3595-1331976873.jpg

Where did you find that? I'm keen on collecting the bits and bobs to add some perk to my '97 - altho I haven'tyet asked for pricing on Graham's kit yet. Maybe I should ask that question first....

I have to be honest here , I was given one of these chinese headers , the one I had was flanged for a T3 , not a turbo I would use on a BB personally and yes the welding was tidy but after looking at it for a while and putting it on a flow bench and looking at it some more I put it in the best place I could think of.... in the scrap bin.... If anyone wants it I think its still there , would make a good doorstop or fishing weight.

Looking good Graham.

post-3595-1331976873.jpg

Looking good Graham.

post-3595-1331976873.jpg

Where did you find that? I'm keen on collecting the bits and bobs to add some perk to my '97 - altho I haven'tyet asked for pricing on Graham's kit yet. Maybe I should ask that question first....

It's an ebay item. You really don't want to put stuff like this on a bike. The basic design is not flow friendly and the workmanship is no hit. Here is a picture seen from the exhaust port, a lot of junk that needs to be removed. Grahams manifold is by far superior. The pic with a single runner is before grinding The area increase afterwards is huge.

post-3595-1332066420.jpg

post-3595-1332087343.jpg

post-3595-1332099108.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Graham or Hank, any idea how the header on this kit compares configuration wise to that of the piece of crap hahn header.

I intended to build my own but yours looks pretty good.

Graham or Hank, any idea how the header on this kit compares configuration wise to that of the piece of crap hahn header.

I intended to build my own but yours looks pretty good.

No, not really Forrest...

I can get you some dimensions if there is something in particular you need, photos too.

Probably the most important consideration in retrofitting to your bike is the "flange" to turbo.

We are using a standard T-25 flange...

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Eng...nges%20Pg3.html

Hope that's of some help.

Hank

• 2 weeks later...

Been away a while...the turbo appears the way to go to run down the busa'a and zx14's. What sites are best to see the specifics for buildups and pricing? (Other than hear obviously).