CBR1100XX.org Forum

'99 Blackbird

everydayrider99

After a little help diagnosing from Rockmeupto125..... I have found that there is fuel in my oil. The engine basically seizes when I try to start it, and after hitting the starter a few times.... it turns over and starts right up. THIS can not be good obviously.

Rockmeupto125 suggested I need a new fuel pressure regulator. Read up on this, and it very well might be the case.

Does anyone else have history of a similar problem? If so, what did you do to fix it. Bought the bike 3 days ago, because of the reliability of the bird... I did not want to have to touch it, so much for that. Im sad, haha. 99' 11000 miles.

After a little help diagnosing from Rockmeupto125..... I have found that there is fuel in my oil. The engine basically seizes when I try to start it, and after hitting the starter a few times.... it turns over and starts right up. THIS can not be good obviously.

Rockmeupto125 suggested I need a new fuel pressure regulator. Read up on this, and it very well might be the case.

Does anyone else have history of a similar problem? If so, what did you do to fix it. Bought the bike 3 days ago, because of the reliability of the bird... I did not want to have to touch it, so much for that. Im sad, haha. 99' 11000 miles.

Here is what I would do:

1. Remove the gas tank, remove the fuel pump from the tank, and get all of the rust out. Put some pea gravel in it, shake, clean, repeat as necessary.

2. Replace Fuel pressure regulator. They are not very expensive.

3. Change engine oil. (I'm sure you already knew to do this one.)

4. Have fuel injectors professionally cleaned or at least run some Sea-Foam additive in the tank after re-assembly.

A fair amount of work, I know, but I think it would be for the best. You'll have her purring like a kitten in no time.

The Bird is very reliable, but abuse (or non-use) almost always trumps reliability.

Here is what I would do:

1. Remove the gas tank, remove the fuel pump from the tank, and get all of the rust out. Put some pea gravel in it, shake, clean, repeat as necessary.

2. Replace Fuel pressure regulator. They are not very expensive.

3. Change engine oil. (I'm sure you already knew to do this one.)

4. Have fuel injectors professionally cleaned or at least run some Sea-Foam additive in the tank after re-assembly.

A fair amount of work, I know, but I think it would be for the best. You'll have her purring like a kitten in no time.

The Bird is very reliable, but abuse (or non-use) almost always trumps reliability.

Thanks man, sounds like a good plan.

I have a feeling this bike sat for quite some time, most likely owned by someone who lives very close to the ocean, considering all of the oxidation on nearly all components.

how bad is the rust in the tank? is it just slight little rust or starting to pit or scale rust?

I rebuilt a bike for the wife a few yrs ago with some really bad rust in the tank. I sent the tank up to a friend and he cleaned it out and applied some clear coating to the inside similar to that Kreme stuff you can buy at some bike shops.

stuff was awesome and you couldn't even tell it was in there.

The Fuel Pressure Regulator or FPR is very easy to change. The later FPRs are slightly higher pressure and should give better performance. Turbo City will sell a even higher pressure one. See my mods below.

Changing the FPR is simple; just lift the rear of the tank and it is on the right end of the fuel rail. If the FPR is bad fuel will be in the vacume line when you pull it off.

You may have rust. Look with a flashlight. Siphon some fuel out into a clear container and look for rust. Siphon all the fuel if it is old.

A can of Sea Foam is a good idea. I would run that through and see how the bike performs prior to having them professionallly cleaned.

I would change the oil and filter twice. The first time just to flush most of the fuel out you can use some cheap oil.

plus 1 on doing oil and filter twice. Maybe change the oil and get everything up to temp and dump it again.

brother in law turned his pulling tractor motor into a block of shit in 10 seconds from the fuel being dumped into the engine. Thinned out the oil so fast under heavy load that the motor went from wide ass open to stopped in .0025 seconds.

That, and needless to say, dump the oil/filter, and put in new clean oil (nothing expensive until after you know the problem is solved).

The only time I had gas in oil came from a cylinder(s) flooding when the petcock was compromised, overfilling the carbs and letting excess run into the intake manifold.

This should otherwise NEVER happen.

If it comes back, and a '99 bird is EFI, I'd suspect one or more cylinders isn't firing. I don't know where else the fuel would come from.

Well, that, or if there is contamination in the injectors, perhaps one or more is locked partly open and letting fuel drip into the cylinder. While the system is supposed to be pressurized to work, I suppose gravity will let enough gas drip in over time.

That, and needless to say, dump the oil/filter, and put in new clean oil (nothing expensive until after you know the problem is solved).

The only time I had gas in oil came from a cylinder(s) flooding when the petcock was compromised, overfilling the carbs and letting excess run into the intake manifold.

If it comes back, and a '99 bird is EFI, I'd suspect one or more cylinders isn't firing. I don't know where else the fuel would come from.

Well, that, or if there is contamination in the injectors, perhaps one or more is locked partly open and letting fuel drip into the cylinder. While the system is supposed to be pressurized to work, I suppose gravity will let enough gas drip in over time.

:icon_popcorn:

No popcorn needed. This is a known issue on the FI birds, as the wonderfulness known as ethanol enriched fuel causes the diaphram (sp) to be breached, causing the engine to fill with fuel through the vaccuum lines. My daily bike filled all 4 cylinders up, two of them were actually filled all the way past the throttle body butterflies. I caught the dragbike early, as it sits a lot and the fuel actually ate through the vaccuum line and you could smell the gas leaking.

No popcorn needed. This is a known issue on the FI birds, as the wonderfulness known as ethanol enriched fuel causes the diaphram (sp) to be breached, causing the engine to fill with fuel through the vaccuum lines. My daily bike filled all 4 cylinders up, two of them were actually filled all the way past the throttle body butterflies. I caught the dragbike early, as it sits a lot and the fuel actually ate through the vaccuum line and you could smell the gas leaking.

Well I am glad I signed up here. I would have never even thought to have checked the oil for fuel in the first place, never heard of it happening. I am surprised it hasnt already seized up for good, considering the amount of miles I have put on it with basically a 2 stroke mixture in my crankcase. I am pretty sure all cylinders are firing. I mean, I know i just upgraded from a VFR, but the BIRD feels like a rocket on 2 wheels... it must be firing all cylinders.

Definitely doing the oil change twice, I have actually done this before with bikes I have purchased used. I love the idea of perfectly clean oil in my crank. It would be like if you were at a bar, and the bartender took someone else's finished pint with a little bit still left at the bottom, and then filled your beer up on top of that and gave it to you. I want it rinsed and washed.

anyway, FPR, fuel injector cleaner, oil change twice, and do something about the rusty tank.

Thanks All

Don't forget to replace the fuel filter. It's mounted in the tank. I know there's a post around here somewhere with the model number you need. It can be gotten from some car supply stores.

WIX and Microguard...both numbered 33032

Don't forget to replace the fuel filter. It's mounted in the tank. I know there's a post around here somewhere with the model number you need. It can be gotten from some car supply stores.

WIX and Microguard...both numbered 33032

Good point. Thanks.

I wouldn't bother changing the oil twice. Some vapors are normal. Once you sort out your issue, the remaining fuel will evaporate quickly out of the oil through the vents in the case. Just don't smoke around it while this is happening. :)

I wouldn't bother changing the oil twice. Some vapors are normal. Once you sort out your issue, the remaining fuel will evaporate quickly out of the oil through the vents in the case. Just don't smoke around it while this is happening. :)

I believe the suggestions for changing the oil twice may be stemming from the fact that; having fuel in your oil, and running your motor, will cause a significant amount of wear, leaving behind more crap in the oil. Changing twice will help to clean out these extra deposits and concetrated dirty oil.

Anyone else have some educated opinion on this? Because mine is just theoretical BS coming out my ass.

I believe the suggestions for changing the oil twice may be stemming from the fact that; having fuel in your oil, and running your motor, will cause a significant amount of wear, leaving behind more crap in the oil. Changing twice will help to clean out these extra deposits and concetrated dirty oil.

Anyone else have some educated opinion on this? Because mine is just theoretical BS coming out my ass.

seems like the logical thing to do and besides whats the cost?

If it was me I'd definitely do at least two changes maybe three rather than risk fucking up something major.

2 Cents

That, and my position is to change oil/filter NOW with CHEAP oil, not the good stuff.

Once you've fixed it, change it again with the good stuff.

That, and my position is to change oil/filter NOW with CHEAP oil, not the good stuff.

Completely agree, you can feel the difference of the hum of a freshly cleaned engine. BTW can you take the photo of me out of your avatar please?

Completely agree, you can feel the difference of the hum of a freshly cleaned engine. BTW can you take the photo of me out of your avatar please?

Trust us....that's him. It's been verified.

Pull the sender from the tank before you clean it or you'll wreck it. I've had good luck using white vinegar for cleaning. Also, using kreem is a good idea - when it works. If it doesn't the tank is a write off, as well as components of your FI $y$tem.

Alternative - check ebay for a tank. You might get lucky.

The fuel pressure regulator diaphram fails, allowing fuel to bypass it into the vaccuum line, which pours directly into the throttle bodies. A stuck fuel injector is highly unlikely. Replace the regulator first then diag further.

The fuel pressure regulator diaphram fails, allowing fuel to bypass it into the vaccuum line, which pours directly into the throttle bodies. A stuck fuel injector is highly unlikely. Replace the regulator first then diag further.

Thanks bud, did some more research and came to the same conclusion. FPR is on its way here.