CBR1100XX.org Forum

Clutch not fully engaging, hard to shift between 1st and 2nd Gear

auzzi152

97XX - The clutch fluid looked as though it had never been changed 30,000k on bike, flushed system with new fluid and a pre existing problem seemed to get worse. Clutch doesn't seem to fully engage and bike clunks thru the gears especially bad between first and second gear. I have it adjusted fully out on the lever?

97XX - The clutch fluid looked as though it had never been changed 30,000k on bike, flushed system with new fluid and a pre existing problem seemed to get worse. Clutch doesn't seem to fully engage and bike clunks thru the gears especially bad between first and second gear. I have it adjusted fully out on the lever?

There are a couple things to try.

First make sure all the air is out of the system!!!!

Second pull the counter sproket cover off and check the push rod from the slave cylender to the clutch. It may need to be cleaned.

Third pull the rear wheel off and check you cush drive in the rear hub. If it feels loose that will give you that clunk you speak of. I just changed mine. The old one would fall in and out. The new one needed some lube to get it in...

Kinda like butt sex..... :icon_evilgrin:

There are a couple things to try.

First make sure all the air is out of the system!!!!

Second pull the counter sproket cover off and check the push rod from the slave cylender to the clutch. It may need to be cleaned.

Third pull the rear wheel off and check you cush drive in the rear hub. If it feels loose that will give you that clunk you speak of. I just changed mine. The old one would fall in and out. The new one needed some lube to get it in...

Kinda like butt sex..... :icon_evilgrin:

If that doesn't work then you need to look into the master cylender.

What happens if you put into first gear and hold the clutch lever in?

Does it eventually start to move the bike while holding it. If so, thats your master, or possibly slave cylinder.

I think if it holds consistent just not 100%, it is probably air in there getting compressed, so not fully activating.

Big thing to check....lever adjustment.

I know it's supposed to let you set the lever at a comfortable distance, but I find anything less than full out compromises how effectively the clutch and brake work. I thought my brakes were buggered until I realized while fiddling with the VFR bars I set the lever for full in.

+1 on cleaning the push rod.

I wouldn't worry about the cush-drive. The only way it would "clunk" is if it was gone completely. I have 43K not so easy miles on my original.

Thanks for all the advice.

When the clutch is pulled in and the bike is in gear the bike does not move. It seems the only problem is during shifting and the problem is the worst between first and second gear.

I will bleed the brakes tomorrow. I'm in San Diego and its freezing and raining today. It must be down in the high 50's. There is no way I'm going outside in that frigid weather! Hopefully tomorrow it will be in the 70's so I can venture outside!

Thanks again- Auzzi

+ a million on the clutch lifter rod -- Look for my pictorial about it from last year. It can cause exactly the symptoms you describe. Surprisingly, so can having the gearshift lever adjusted poorly. After I fixed my shifting problem I started wearing uber-armoured boots that are 3/4" thicker in the toe than my street boots. I adjusted the shifter accordingly and forgot about it. This spring I started the season with my old boots (because they're waterproof and warm) and my missed shift problem was back. After bleeding the clutch and checking under the sprocket cover with no results, I switched boots and problem solved -- even though I would've sworn I was jamming the shifter up as far as it would go even in the smaller boots, evidently I wasn't.

Thanks for all the advice.

When the clutch is pulled in and the bike is in gear the bike does not move. It seems the only problem is during shifting and the problem is the worst between first and second gear.

I will bleed the brakes tomorrow. I'm in San Diego and its freezing and raining today. It must be down in the high 50's. There is no way I'm going outside in that frigid weather! Hopefully tomorrow it will be in the 70's so I can venture outside!

Thanks again- Auzzi

When did you last change oil, and what did you change it to? My gearshift deteriorates over the lifespan of the engine oil - the clunk into 1st gets louder, and as soon as I miss a change its time for replacement oil+filter.

sounds to me like the nut may have backed off on the pressure plate......... you dont need the clutch for anything other than take offs and landings with the XX. Let me know if you need any parts though. I have a spare slave cylinder and sorts.

• 4 weeks later...

Here's another obscure suspect for the dreaded 1-2 shift problem -- throttle slack. My shift quality was starting to deteriorate again for no apparent reason. Lifter rod is clean and lubed, clutch fluid is fresh, system is bled, shift lever is adjusted properly, chain and sprockets are still good, cush drive replaced last fall. But after nearly dropping the bike a few times on gravelly intersections because of nonexistent low speed, low rpm throttle control I checked the slack and it was way out of spec. One of those things that accumulates slowly over time and you get used to. I adjusted the cable and along with fine throttle control I got my clean 1st-2nd upshifts back. I guess I wasn't letting off the throttle while shifting like I thought I was, just letting out some cable slack :icon_redface: