CBR1100XX.org Forum

Can anyone suggest a good metal epoxy?

kevinskii

When I low-sided the XX a few months ago, the bracket mount for the lower cowl broke off the engine block. This isn't a stress-bearing part, so I thought JB Weld would make an ideal fix. Unfortunately it keeps breaking under the slightest pressure. I've tried setting it three different times, and I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything properly.

Has anyone had better luck with another brand of off-the-shelf epoxy?

http://www.brodi.com/facility/brofix/

I've used something like this, there are about a million resellers, there is steele, fiberglas and general epoxy. I've used the steel, I once attached an eye bolt to a boiler door to keep it from swinging shut while I cleaned it, I couldn't break the bolt off with a 5lb sledge, we ended up grinding it off.

It's a tube of two part putty, you kneed it together, it can even be drilled and tapped.

http://www.brodi.com/facility/brofix/

I've used something like this, there are about a million resellers, there is steele, fiberglas and general epoxy. I've used the steel, I once attached an eye bolt to a boiler door to keep it from swinging shut while I cleaned it, I couldn't break the bolt off with a 5lb sledge, we ended up grinding it off.

It's a tube of two part putty, you kneed it together, it can even be drilled and tapped.

Thanks.. I've been looking for that stuff.

They used to sell it locally at the auto parts store, used it once years ago, and was super impressed with it, as long as the surface is prepped good and given some tooth, it will hold.

Thanks.

Pretty sure that mount is on the oil pan, isn't it?

Replace the pan or pull it and heliarc the piece back on.

You're right, it's on the pan, not the engine block. Thanks. I wasn't looking closely enough. It's nice to know that I can pull it off if some of the JB Weld alternatives suggested here don't work.

Pretty sure that mount is on the oil pan, isn't it?

Replace the pan or pull it and heliarc the piece back on.

You're right, it's on the pan, not the engine block. Thanks. I wasn't looking closely enough. It's nice to know that I can pull it off if some of the JB Weld alternatives suggested here don't work.

Mine in broken too. I had a guy try to tig it back on for me since everything was still there but it broke back off about the first time I rode it. I just left it. I actually bolted the bracket onto the fairing so I wouldn't have an empty hole there but its not attached to anything on the back side. Don't worry about it if you don't get it fixed. Mine has been like that for 2 or 3 years now. The easiest and most expensive fix is to buy a new oil pan.

Mine in broken too. I had a guy try to tig it back on for me since everything was still there but it broke back off about the first time I rode it. I just left it. I actually bolted the bracket onto the fairing so I wouldn't have an empty hole there but its not attached to anything on the back side. Don't worry about it if you don't get it fixed. Mine has been like that for 2 or 3 years now. The easiest and most expensive fix is to buy a new oil pan.

That's how mine is right now. Thanks for the advice. I'll probably just leave it alone. It's one less thing that will break the next time I crash.

• 2 weeks later...

When mine broke, I drilled two small holes into the broken bracket on both sides (the part still attached to the oil pan, and the broken part in my hand). Then I JB Welded the pieces together while JB Welding cut pieces of finishing nails in the holes I drilled. Worked like a charm - been in place over two years.

When mine broke, I drilled two small holes into the broken bracket on both sides (the part still attached to the oil pan, and the broken part in my hand). Then I JB Welded the pieces together while JB Welding cut pieces of finishing nails in the holes I drilled. Worked like a charm - been in place over two years.

Tha t is the trick you have to give it something to hold.

I have to fix the one on my f4 and was thinking the same thing. I can get an epoxy from work that is like iron we use it all the time but unfortunately the name has slipped my memory at this time . We call it Foxy epoxy but that is not the correct name.

It come with or without carbide beads in it. That shit works great!!!!

I gotta remember to take some home tomorrow.

Jesus Christ, is there anyone on this forum who doesn't have a broken fairing bracket? And here I thought I was special.

Me.

2 Birds, nothing broken. But then I'm not a crasher. :icon_pray: :icon_shifty: