CBR1100XX.org Forum

Tire report...

EVLXX

Currently I'm still running the Michelin Pilot Roads (1), and love them, but I need to get a new set of shoes for this years use, and have been wondering if I should step up to the Pilot Road 2's.

So I'm looking for your feedback to help me make a decision.

Anybody here have mileage and feel numbers to report on the PR 2's ?

Then my second question is, is anybody runny a Power up front and a Road in the rear ? If so, what your thoughts on that ?

And any other Tire choice / combo, and mileage reports are welcome as well.

Thanks.

My last set of tires on the 14 were PR2CT rear, Pilot Power front. Didn't put a whole lot of miles on the combo, but there was no steering oddness or anything else that would put me off the combo. Pretty neutral handling, stuck as good as I ever asked them to, but I can't say I ever pushed much. The rear had 1000-1500 miles on it when it left and it was still looking close to new. The Pilot Powers tend to cup early on the front (this wasn't my first PP front), but I seemed to get that with whatever I ran on both the XX and the ZX.

Currently I'm still running the Michelin Pilot Roads (1), and love them, but I need to get a new set of shoes for this years use, and have been wondering if I should step up to the Pilot Road 2's.

So I'm looking for your feedback to help me make a decision.

Anybody here have mileage and feel numbers to report on the PR 2's ?

Then my second question is, is anybody runny :icon_twisted: a Power up front and a Road in the rear ? If so, what your thoughts on that ?

And any other Tire choice / combo, and mileage reports are welcome as well.

Thanks.

PR2 has different profile . Feel and steering input are similar to PR at moderate lean angles but once you crank up the pace it is easier to tilt bike even more compared to " normal " Pilot Road . It is basically more pointy , PR is kind of round and flat .

Mileage , I`d say it lasts 10-15 % longer , I deliberately don`t toss any hard numbers because it all depends .

Other then that they all are round and black , and have more then enough grip for street usege .

Currently on my 2nd set of Metz M3. Very sticky tires. I can actually tell the difference when I try to light up the rear. Actually I can't remember if its my 1st or 2nd front. I have never picked anything up in a tire on the XX before but both rear M3 I have managed to run over something so no idea how long they would have lasted. I have some PR2 in the shop ready to mount. I have read nothing but good things about them. They seem to cost a little bit more than many other similar tires.

I replaced my Pilot Road 2CT tires at 14,700 miles with a set of Avon Storms. I also have another set of Pilot Road 2CTs in a box in the garage that will go on whichever bike needs them first. The Blackbird with Avon Storms or the FJR1300 with Pirelli Angel STs.

I replaced my Pilot Road 2CT tires at 14,700 miles with a set of Avon Storms. I also have another set of Pilot Road 2CTs in a box in the garage that will go on whichever bike needs them first. The Blackbird with Avon Storms or the FJR1300 with Pirelli Angel STs.

:icon_eek:

WHAT ??? !!!

14,700 miles on the tires.....

No way. Impossible.

Unless you weigh 50 lbs. and only road them in the rain.

Really ???

Admittedly my pace has been off the last few seasons, but I got 8,500 miles from my 1st PR2 rear & just over 9k from the 2nd.

Living in flat ass IL, the centers are shot well before the sides...

WHAT ??? !!!

No way. Impossible.

Really ???

Look at the man's avatar and sig line, Eric. This is a guy who likely knows how to get the most out of a tire. :icon_wink:

WHAT ??? !!!

No way. Impossible.

Really ???

Look at the man's avatar and sig line, Eric. This is a guy who likely knows how to get the most out of a tire. :icon_wink:

Haha... that's probably no shit, I didn't even notice that.

which.... means he probably rides like a Grandpa on Ludes.

( I know a guy that really puts on the miles, and that's how he is anyways, because he's always worried about his gas mileage and tire wear................ always.)

Now on a sad note, I have a confession to make....

(this will be where you can laugh at me)

I must be getting older and loosing my memory, because... I just went out in the garage and checked to see how much tread I have left on my tires and found...

I already have PR2ct's.......

HA-Hahahaaa (that's me laughing at myself.)

And it looks like the fronts at 50% and the rear.... ??? maybe 50% as well. The rears are always tough to tell.

( I know a guy that really puts on the miles, and that's how he is anyways, because he's always worried about his gas mileage and tire wear................ always.)

Nope. I can vouch not.

I love my PR2's. Put them on last year and was surprised at how well they stuck and quickly they turned in compared to my Diablos that they replaced.

Haha... that's probably no shit, I didn't even notice that.

( I know a guy that really puts on the miles, and that's how he is anyways, because he's always worried about his gas mileage and tire wear................ always

Grandpa on Ludes??? That's fucking funny. LOL I like my new nickname. :icon_lol:

FWIW... I usually get somewhere between 12,000 and 16,000 miles on almost any tires on my Blackbird and FJR1300. Although I always exceed the speed limits on interstates, I do live in Southeastern Michigan where there are probably 11 curves in 318 miles so the tires don't get too much extreme use. As shitty as roads are in Michigan, the concrete that's used has never been very harsh on my tires.

I checked my records to be certain and I did change the Pilot Road 2CT on the Blackbird at 14, 724 miles and there was 3/32" of tread depth on the rear and a bit more on the front. Additionally, I replaced the set on my FJR1300, which is a heavier bike, at 13,452 miles and there was also about 3/32" of tread remaining on both tires.

I always keep the front and rear tires inflated to 41psi and I weigh about 215 lbs in full riding gear.

I was hoping you would see the Fun in my comment....

And I think you're all over the reasons you get more mileage out of a tire than I do... conditions.

Road conditions for one.... concrete is very easy on tires, but around here we have a lot of Chip-sealled roads. The chip sealed roads out here are rough, very rough, and they stay that way, because they use Granite to make them. So while you're driving around on road that resemble.... 600 grit sandpaper.... I'm riding around on roads that resemble a Rasp or 5 grit sandpaper.

Then there's the second part... your roads are almost all straight, where mine are almost all curves.

Now For what it's worth.. I have never gotten over 6000 miles on any Rear tire on the Bird, and the worst tire I ever put on there was a Dunlop Sportmax's I believe, and it only made it 2500 miles and it was down to the casing.

I weigh about 215 without gear, and run my tires between 38 and 42, depending on payload and riding type/style for the day.

Currently I'm still searching for my records of when I put these PR2's on.... something about getting older goes into this I think. :icon_redface:

My record's show that I replaced the oem tires FRT 7104mi R 6591mi with pilot roads replaced the rear at 6127mi frt at 8593mi with roads again replaced the rear tire at 3854mi but it looked like it could go 500 more miles but i was planning to go to oregon to the west coast bash and did want to run out of tire like i did the year before running with those crazies :icon_evilgrin: . the frt went 5982 mi and also replaced it early. I went with pr2's and have about 3000 mi on them and they look great. I hate buying tires so I buy for max mileage using the info from the people on this forum. Unless something better comes along I'm happy with the pr2's. Ron

• 4 weeks later...

I'm on my third set of PR2's. I like how they feel, and they seem to stick well enough for the type of riding I do.

I average about 7000 miles per set. I replace them when they are down to the wear bars.

The front and rear tires wear out about the same time.

Now that the PR3's are out, the price should start dropping.

• 1 month later...

I run the pirelli diablo, and have for 3 seasons now. I got about 7k out of the front and about 6k out of the rear. I went with the extended mileage rear, hoping to match the life of the front better. I ride in the mountains only, and rarely like an "old man", so I can't complain about the lifespan. I love the way they react in the rain, however at exteded +120mph, I think the get a little TOO soft. Lets just say the rubber likes to ball up a bit. :icon_whistle: I am just about to replace my front, it has warn to the bar on the edges. I replace sooner than later, spoiled bitch gets new shoes all the time.

Running Pilot Power 2ct now and love them. Last set was replaced at 10,000 miles and using Conti Sport Attack front Road Attack rear. Bike is not babied at all and the front could have gone much farther. Had sililar results with the Road Attacks on an R6.

I've been running the PR2/Power combo for a few years now. I think I'm getting somewhere around 6000 out of the rear and two rears to a front. Absolutely love the combo. I wouldnt run anything else (for now). I think you know how I am on tires.

I currently have Pirelli Angels on the bird, nice tire but take for ever to warm up.

When I start rides I am always amazed at how long they take to warm up, they dont track for shit but after 50 or so miles they start get some grip.

They are the first tire on the bird that for the most part the front tire chicken strips are GONE! non of the other tires have come close having the confidence to push the front like that.

I have about 3500 miles on the tires, good bit of mix riding with about 1300 miles of slabing on them.

I would expect 5K before Its time for a change, not sure I will get them again.

Worst tire Dunlup Qualifiers maybe 2500 miles.

• 2 weeks later...
I currently have Pirelli Angels on the bird, nice tire but take for ever to warm up.

When I start rides I am always amazed at how long they take to warm up, they dont track for shit but after 50 or so miles they start get some grip.

They are the first tire on the bird that for the most part the front tire chicken strips are GONE! non of the other tires have come close having the confidence to push the front like that.

I have about 3500 miles on the tires, good bit of mix riding with about 1300 miles of slabing on them.

I would expect 5K before Its time for a change, not sure I will get them again.

Worst tire Dunlup Qualifiers maybe 2500 miles.

I have a set of shinko ravens i have put 1200 miles on them. rode the twistys, rain, high speed. and i am very happy so far. I hope they give me decent milage but for $153 shipped I really can't complain. I was unsure about the shinko tires at first but read multipule reviews and posts and thought I would give them a shake and no dissappointments. No i guess they will go up in price once there name gets out there. agh.

I have tried the PR2's on my ST1300 and the most that I can get out of a rear is @5000 miles. Having said that, the ST gets ridden two up about 98% of the time that it is on the road. Peggy and I together are about 315 to 320 plus riding gear. Then there is a Honda top box that usually has a small cooler, purse, etc. in it. The side bags have a couple of rainsuits, misc., and an air compressor......so she is loaded up pretty good most of the time that it's on the road. Still, I was hoping for better than 5K out of the rear. After two attempts to get more mileage out of them, I have switched over to the Avon Storm 2 and am tracking the mileage on it. Pilot Road 2 up front will get me 7-7.5K before needed to be replaced. Oh, the PR2 on the front and the Avon Storm 2 on the rear, play together quite nicely and do not seem to lend any kind of handling issues.

Have had a set of Bridgestone Battax 016 tires on the bike for about 3k miles. Bike is 90% freeway commuter use. Speeds typically 70-100 MPH. Tracks straight and smooth, great grip, good feel, have not pushed past limits, yet, even in short stops.

OK in rain, no issues, but me no likee rain riding, so the speed comes down a bit. Wear seems good, tires are checked weekly. Am wondering if bad tire pressure is the cause of some durability issues. These tires have lost 1-2lb weekly until they settled in at ~ 2k miles. Should have gotten the Battax 023 tires, but if these work out will buy again. YMMV

Oh, came off a Pirelli Diablo on the rear, and a Michelin Pilot Sport on the front. Huge improvement over the Pirelli, which makes me sad, as the Pirelli P-Zero Neros on the street car are working out pretty OK.

Should have gotten the Battax 023 tires, but if these work out will buy again.

I am trying out the 016 on the front and the 023 on the rear. I like the 016 but don't know how long it will last and it doesn't gets used in the rain.