CBR1100XX.org Forum

16k on BB, Advice about Maintanence and Valve Clearance Needed:

chatvmax

[ VERY Busy time for me,, in most instances is a valve adjustment / inspection needed at 16k,, ] ?

IF one is out of spec do i neeed to take the cam out to change shim...??

-------- Context --------

I own a 1999 BB with 16k on her,,

I ALWAYS am on top of the oil changes and all,,

BUT:

I believe I am due for a valve adjustment and I would like to do an adjustment on my timing chain,,,

Advice needed: Is there a pinned up procedure somewhere.. ?? I have a manual BUT I love getting the step by step from guys that have DONE it cause it always seems more direct and to the point.. :))

PS: Is there any other areas of the bike I should doing something to at this point;;;

Im 50 and my riding style is easy shifter BUT I love triple digits on open spaces and REGULARY am in the 140 - 150 range...

Thanks Much for any Advice... ! ;)

[ VERY Busy time for me,, in most instances is a valve adjustment / inspection needed at 16k,, ] ?

No, chances are very good that your valves need no adjustment. Don't sweat it if you don't have the time now.

Yes.

BUT:

I believe I am due for a valve adjustment and I would like to do an adjustment on my timing chain,,,

Your timing chain "adjusts" itself unless you have a manual adjuster. Not sure what you're talking about here.

Advice needed: Is there a pinned up procedure somewhere.. ?? I have a manual BUT I love getting the step by step from guys that have DONE it cause it always seems more direct and to the point.. :))

As I said before, it's very unlikely your valves are in need of adjustment, but in another 24 or 36 years when they do (based on your current usage) this link might be helpful. Sorry, it only covers adjusting, not checking so much.

PS: Is there any other areas of the bike I should doing something to at this point;;;

Flush you coolant, brake & clutch fluid, fresh fork oil....

Yeah RIDE that fucker :icon_whistle::icon_evilgrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

You might be about ready for a Cam Chain Tensioner. My original needed replaced when I picked up my XX with 20,000 miles.

Does it make "rattling" sounds starting at about 3500rpms?

no,,, only at idle it sounds a "little" louder,,, but thats when she is hot and im listening with my helmet off....lol,, I believe it "might" be in the pale of very normal for a overhead cam 4 cyl jap bike.... :))

Yeah RIDE that fucker :icon_whistle::icon_evilgrin::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

I hear that man.......!!!!!!!!!!!

ill be turning 51 and all the squids follow me when i go out on my evening run,, lol

i stop and get gas and they fire up when i do,, they follow me and then i do the speed limits all the way out to our main interchange,, then i just give them a wave and that bike is pegged for about 25 seconds,, dont even watch the speedo,, but i dont see them till the next evening, :)

When i get off the exit ramp after that high speed straight i get back into 50 yr old mode and can enjoy an evening of twisties and easy riding [ no pun intended ] ..

I am starting to feel like if one of thoes boys got hurt trying to stay with me i would feel bad...... BUT thats my riding style,, i worked my entire life and i NEED to go fast in the evening,,, can anyone a little older relate?

opinions welcome here,,, ;)

No, chances are very good that your valves need no adjustment. Don't sweat it if you don't have the time now.

Yes.

BUT:

Your timing chain "adjusts" itself unless you have a manual adjuster. Not sure what you're talking about here.

As I said before, it's very unlikely your valves are in need of adjustment, but in another 24 or 36 years when they do (based on your current usage) this link might be helpful. Sorry, it only covers adjusting, not checking so much.

ANY ADVICE on the coolant type { exact brand and type ] as i hear ssoo many local rumors as to what cant and can be used because of eating head gaskets ,, bla ,, bla,,, bla,,, u understand i was so confused a couple years ago i just skipped it...

and if there are any links to step by steps that would be awesome...

Thanks Again,,,,

Yes.

BUT:

ANY ADVICE on the coolant type { exact brand and type ] as i hear ssoo many local rumors as to what cant and can be used because of eating head gaskets ,, bla ,, bla,,, bla,,, u understand i was so confused a couple years ago i just skipped it...

Thanks Again,,,,

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...61&hl=evans

When in doubt, always go with the factory recommended stuff, Honda.

ill be turning 51 and all the squids follow me when i go out on my evening run,, lol

i stop and get gas and they fire up when i do,, they follow me and then i do the speed limits all the way out to our main interchange,, then i just give them a wave and that bike is pegged for about 25 seconds,, dont even watch the speedo,, but i dont see them till the next evening, :)

When i get off the exit ramp after that high speed straight i get back into 50 yr old mode and can enjoy an evening of twisties and easy riding [ no pun intended ] ..

I am starting to feel like if one of thoes boys got hurt trying to stay with me i would feel bad...... BUT thats my riding style,, i worked my entire life and i NEED to go fast in the evening,,, can anyone a little older relate?

Yes.Good on ya! Only now I go to the dragstrip to go fast.Problem is the faster I go-the shorter the journey.

And Liquid Performance is awesome coolant.

[massive snip]

+1

Have 70K on mine. Prior owner (bought it at 17K) said he had the valves checked and were in spec. Just did it now myself. Technically one valve was on the edge of maybe being in need of adjustment, but unless it really was out of spec, I wasn't going to do the work to try and pull the parts to re-shim the valve. I'd have to pay someone to do that work for me. Did the CCT at around 60-65K, so that lasts a long time too.