CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain question

Zero Knievel

Well, I went to take one link off my 110 chain because it had a bit more slack than normal thanks to different sprockets. 108 (one link) should have been ideal.

Cut off the single link and now even with the adjusters all the way in, I can't get the chain to go back on. Has to be 110. :icon_wall:

So, I was about to order a new 110 link chain, but I wonder....

Can I use two rivet master links to put the chain back to 110? In that case I only need another rivet link for the chain. :icon_think:

I would think not.

All master links that I have seen have the male, long pins on them. This will prevent you from attaching two masters to each other. You would need a link of the female type between them.

Cutting out a link somewhere else on the chain would just damage one link that you would again have to replace.

Riveted master links are strong. I wouldn't worry about failure of a properly staked second link, if I had another short section of chain to go with it.

I would think not.

All master links that I have seen have the male, long pins on them. This will prevent you from attaching two masters to each other. You would need a link of the female type between them.

Cutting out a link somewhere else on the chain would just damage one link that you would again have to replace.

Riveted master links are strong. I wouldn't worry about failure of a properly staked second link, if I had another short section of chain to go with it.

Then it will work. I still have the "female" link...just toasted the male part taking it off the chain. I'd use 2 master links to put it back on and then close the chain up again.

I would strongly advise against it. Sure you can do it and yes master links should be as strong as a regular link but is it worth spitting the chain out at speed and damaging your bike or worse a car behind you? I have seen water pumps, clutch slave cylinders and more torn off when a chain lets go...

If you were at the very back of the axle adjustment range, removing two pins should not have been a problem.

I don't see a problem with using two rivet-style master links, but is the chain new enough to be worth it? Just say'n.

If you were at the very back of the axle adjustment range, removing two pins should not have been a problem.

I don't see a problem with using two rivet-style master links, but is the chain new enough to be worth it? Just say'n.

Only have 5K on it. I normally get way, way more than that on a chain/sprocket set.