CBR1100XX.org Forum

Nitrous installation...

ElChingonCabron

Well being the power whore that I am, I decided to pick up some cheap HP 8) I ordered a NX Express kit with a 2.5 lb bottle (P/N #60005 at the CHEAP cost of $580 from S&K racing...great guys, ask for Scott....quick responses and very friendly service and beat places like Schitz's Racing by $100 bones for same kit...even threw in a gauge for nuttin'...check out http://www.skracing.com/home.htm ). I plan on running a 60 shot and hit it with the horn switch. I am thinking about having a little fun with the local Busa boys at the drags :twisted:

So has anyone done this to their XX? Mine is a '98 carb'd model...rejetting done by our very own AlanB (thanks mang!) and has Jardine slip-ons. Any advice on plugs? What kind...colder...how much 1-2 degrees....part number recommendation???? Should I retard the timing...how much..I hear one degree for an increase of 50hp and so on. I understand I can do a 60 shot safely and some guys have told me they are still runnin' stock plugs on their systems....all I can think of is scorchin' my fuggin' pistons!!! How long should a 2.5 lb bottle last?

My biggest problem is gonna be concealment....not much room under the bird so I am going to have an aluminum storage underseat tray made up to hide the bottle which is about 11.5 inches long and 4 3/8ths in diameter...one big turd :shock: Any good aluminum welders out there wanna make a few bucks and help me with a project?

The installation will be within the next week and a half or so...I'll keep everyone updated....in the meantime I TRULY appreciate any words of wisdom :D

Cheers-

Sanch....formerly DosEquisXX

Seattle, WA

'98 XX

The key here is the duration of the nitrous use.

If you're only using it in short spurts, you should be fine with the stock plugs and stock timing (might want to up your octane level, though).

If you are planning on using it for a high speed run, then you will definitely want to retard the timing a couple of degrees, and richen the carbs. I'm assuming you're using a "dry" system, right?

If the system comes with fuel solenoids, and a fuel pump, then it's a "wet" system, and all fueling adjustments can be made through the fuel jets. If it's a dry system, then there is no additional fuel supplied when you hit the button, so you're jetting must be on the fat side to compensate.

Let us know how you make out, and what kind of performance improvement you get (0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, etc).

:shock:   Cool.

I can't help you with the project, but I'll be glad to help you break it in!  :D

HAH....sure man...come on up to the PNW and you can blow my horn anytime :shock: It's gonna be a handful for sure....instant hit and fuggin hold on....bye bye Busa :twisted:

Laters-

Sanch

The key here is the duration of the nitrous use.

If you're only using it in short spurts, you should be fine with the stock plugs and stock timing (might want to up your octane level, though).

If you are planning on using it for a high speed run, then you will definitely want to retard the timing a couple of degrees, and richen the carbs. I'm assuming you're using a "dry" system, right?

Let us know how you make out, and what kind of performance improvement you get (0-60, 1/4 mile, top speed, etc).

Wet system it is just like Joe said :grin: She's a '98 carbed....only the FI's can use the dry system....I have considered using racing fuel...whatcha think???

I'm done with high speed runs....ummm, I think :twisted: Ran a 178mph GPS last summer and not sure she had much more...this year it's all about acceleration :cool: I have VERY limited experience at the drags and I have about a month to practice....so Toxxic, whereabouts do you patrol and when :wink: ?!?!

I'm just hoping to get in the low 10's...but man who doesn't want to go faster? :shock: I figure I'll just be hitting the juice in third and fourth, with a 60 shot I can't imagine taking that big of a hit in second! Gonna pick up a strap for the front end and I am planning on ordering some dogbones for the rear to help keep the front wheel down.....summer's gonna be fun :grin:

I'll keep everyone posted and will have pics of the install soon (7-10days)....in the meantime, keep the words of wisdom coming!

Cheers-

Sanch

I have no experience with nitrous and bikes, but I do with cars...ran a 400HP (tuned for 220HP) Pro Shot Fogger on a stroked small block Chevy. I had to drop the heat range on the plugs down 2 notches (R45TS to R43TS) and retard the timing back around 4 degrees to prevent detonation. With the XX's knock sensor the timing reduction may not be necessary. I would still go at least one heat range cooler on the plugs to be safe..if there is a fouling issue you can always go back. I never burned pistons but I have pitted a few and completely melted the electrodes on the plugs until I got everything right. Hope this helps, good luck and keep us posted...should definitely be a "wood giving" experience!

Hey Cabron,

I patrol the area around S.I.R. or Pacific Raceways, during the week, 0900-1900 hrs. You should be safe, that is if you let me ride that beast!!

Cool project,

Tim T2

WOW....thanks for the info doodes....VERY helpful! So I went to NGK's website and they only offer platinum plugs for the XX....NX Express says no platinum. Also, it seems that they or anyone else doesn't have a plug that is 1-2 steps colder then stockers........any help out there would be appreciated if you could lead me in the right direction. I contacted NX Express and they state I should be fine with the stockers as long as I stay under a 60 shot.....cool, no problem there I guess but if someone out there does make a colder plug available I'd like to know.

I'll play around with the timing and see what she does until I get it right....plan on 2 degrees and work from there....NX states 1-2 oughta do it but I am skeptical after reading Elixxer's and REXX's responses :???:

Cheers-

Sanch

Santiago is a power whore? Well, half right anyway...

I'm not sure he can handle the power he's got much less MORE power!! :)

Heck, after seeing that huge jug he has to hide under his seat I am worried about him getting everything packed in.... that might be the toughest part!

I'll be sure to report on the shenanigans at the drag strip. I'm sure a lot of the northwest XX guys will show up to watch the fun!

Best of luck getting things ironed out Santiago!

Alan