CBR1100XX.org Forum

Yet another battery thread....

Zero Knievel

A quick question.

Got my Wal-Mart battery just under 2 years ago. Yesterday, it didn't have the juice to crank. It's on the trickle charger now. I went out on the XX a few weeks back....not so far back that the battery didn't get some decent charge time. I wonder if it's dying on me so early.

Keeping in mind that now I'm running the HID lights, how long does a TYPICAL batter last? I opened up this one and noticed the fluid levels were low, so I topped them off with RO water and then put it on the charger.

Don't need a battery dying on me when on the road. I know how the starter sounds when the battery is dying, and I have noticed that it's taking longer to crank than when the battery was brand new. I know, "When in doubt...." but I don't want to shell out more $$$ for a fancy-brand battery if it's going to last maybe 1 year longer than Wal-Mart's did.

So....

1. How long does a typical M/C battery last? I thought it was 3 years, but it sounds like some are lucky to get a good 2 years?

2. For the amount you pay, which brand/supplier should I go with, or is Wal-Mart good enough when you consider price and duration?

My Bird had a WM battery in it when I bought it. It lasted 4 years. When it died two winters ago I replaced it with another WM battery. That one lasted one year. I bought another one, pulled the dead one and put it in the new box and returned it for full purchase price. I told 'em the new one was dead out of the box. The 17 year old girl behind the counter didn't even bother to open the box to check it.

A quick question.

I opened up this one and noticed the fluid levels were low, so I topped them off with RO water and then put it on the charger.

That is typical,I had two WM battery died like that before I knew better.They are not really maintenance free.

Anything but Walmart`s NeverStart batteries.

Search Big Crank.

Yuasa battery in my '03 VTX was still good when I sold it this year (7 years)

Yuasa battery in my '01 XX was good when I sold it in 2008 (7 years) but then the new owner had some problems after he bought it. I'm not sure if he ended up replacing it.

Yuasa battery in my '99 Valkyrie was replaced right before I sold it in 2008 (9 years) but it turned out what I thought was a battery problem was a short so it may have not needed to be replaced.

All of the above sat during the winter and were occasionally put on a float charger during especially long periods of cold.

I've seen several posts from different forums about Walmart batteries that seemed to poop out prematurely.

A quick question.

Got my Wal-Mart battery just under 2 years ago. Yesterday, it didn't have the juice to crank. It's on the trickle charger now. I went out on the XX a few weeks back....not so far back that the battery didn't get some decent charge time. I wonder if it's dying on me so early.

Keeping in mind that now I'm running the HID lights, how long does a TYPICAL batter last? I opened up this one and noticed the fluid levels were low, so I topped them off with RO water and then put it on the charger.

Don't need a battery dying on me when on the road. I know how the starter sounds when the battery is dying, and I have noticed that it's taking longer to crank than when the battery was brand new. I know, "When in doubt...." but I don't want to shell out more $$$ for a fancy-brand battery if it's going to last maybe 1 year longer than Wal-Mart's did.

So....

1. How long does a typical M/C battery last? I thought it was 3 years, but it sounds like some are lucky to get a good 2 years?

2. For the amount you pay, which brand/supplier should I go with, or is Wal-Mart good enough when you consider price and duration?

so let me get this right you'll pay extra for 'motorcycle' oil but not for a name brand battery......

I put a yuasa in my 97 approx 6 years ago, trickle charge it when ever it is sitting . Still going great AND I have HID's which have never caused a problem. also run the Strubel horn , Pro oiler and GPS.

2 cents

Thanks.

The red light came on with the charger...twice. Tests at under 4 volts. It's toast.

The Big Crank ($60) was just a bit more than what Wal-Mart charged (excluding shipping), so I'll give it a shot and see how it does. Yuasa was almost $90.

so let me get this right you'll pay extra for 'motorcycle' oil but not for a name brand battery......

I pay for quality, but I know not everything made for "motorcycles" is worth the extra $$$ they charge.

My truck has been on Wal-Mart batteries with no loss of performance or life. Last time I got a Wal-Mart motorcycle battery, I sold the bike and it was running fine. I'm inclined to give something a fair chance unless it's reputation for being crap is well-known.

AMSOIL has the reputation and I see that it delivers. A battery is much like any other battery...except in QC of the maker. Sound like Big Crank is worth a shot, and isn't much more than what Wal-Mart is charging. If it holds up, it'll get my thumbs up from now on. :icon_biggrin:

Got about 4 years out of my last Yuasa YTX12-BS :icon_think: That is getting ridden regularly all year round with HID's :icon_surprised: Was starting to go before the crash I had in June and that with the delay getting the bike repaired by the dealer obviously killed it :icon_confused: Now have a Power Volt YTX14-BS for $185, was looking at getting a bigger Yuasa YTZ14-S but they were $250+ :icon_eek: The std Yuasa YTX12-BS was $105 :icon_think:

Die Hard has a decent warranty and nationwide replacement capability. I've had really good luck with them. Deka is another decent small battery that you can often find independent of a bike shop...lots of hometown parts stores carry Deka. Big Crank batteries are pretty stout too and seem to service well...you most likely won't regret buying it.

After everybody seemed so impressed with Yuasa, I purchased them for a couple of my project bikes, but none of them lasted any better than the cheap ones, in fact it so happens that the two batteries I had bought from Walmart were still going strong when I needed to buy a battery for my new project Hayabusa so I picked another up from Walmart and go figure, when I unpacked it, there was the Yuasa logo. Even started a thread on it here.

At this point in time I see absolutely no good reason not to use the Walmart batteries.

And as for the comment about AGM, take a look at the picture:

yuasa1.jpg

Got the Big Crank today. Had to flatten out a tab on each battery clamp to make it go on. They used these odd-shaped terminals where the bolt hole was in the wrong place. You'd think everyone would use standard parts. :icon_rolleyes:

Im going to replace mine next spring, but the Yuasa in my VFR is 8 years old. Still cranks just fine. I put it on the battery tender year-round. I bought my KFX in March of 07 and doesn't have a tender on it and it still starts easily. Even in the dead of Winter. My 02 XX had the original Yuasa when I sold it to Jen. That was back in '07 I think ??

There is a right and wrong way to charge new batteries. If you don't know..ask.

Ive also heard A LOT of people say that they start their bike a few times during the off season just.."to charge the battery". Total bullshit. Don't do it. 

Ill stick with Yuasa. Expensive, but what the fuck isn't nowadays?? 

Ive also heard A LOT of people say that they start their bike a few times during the off season just.."to charge the battery". Total bullshit. Don't do it. 

Elaborate...please.

I've been doing it just because idling the bike for 15-20 minutes once a month is easier than "winterizing" it for storage....especially since "winter" is about 3 months you expect to not have any good riding weather and the rest is total luck.

I've had Yausas go bad while sitting on a Battery tender in the garage.

Now I check my local Interstate Battery store before plopping down more $.

I'm thinking all these batteries come down the same assembly line in China and get different labels slapped on.

idling the bike for 15-20 minutes once a month is easier than "winterizing" it for storage.

Idling doesn't generate enough juice to charge the battery.

Idling doesn't generate enough juice to charge the battery.

+1

I do start my bikes some during the winter because they have carbs. Bike carbs are small and don't hold much fuel. It has seemed to work out better over the years of doing it that way.

Elaborate...please.

I've been doing it just because idling the bike for 15-20 minutes once a month is easier than "winterizing" it for storage....especially since "winter" is about 3 months you expect to not have any good riding weather and the rest is total luck.

Possibly the worse you could do to your engine.

Elaborate...please.

As was said before, letting your bike idle for twenty minutes or twenty hours will do nothing for the charge of your battery. 

Winterizing? Whats that? Anyhow..its real simple...

'97-'98

1.Change the oil BEFORE you put it away

2. Fill gas tank and drain carbs. Don't just run it until it dies. 

3. Stabil if you wish. (I haven't bothered in years.)

4. Battery Tender (in or out of the bike) Doesn't seem to matter much

Your Done. 

'99-'03

Do everything but drain carbs.