CBR1100XX.org Forum

YOU GUYS ROCK

joeknott

I searched this site and printed off everything I could find and the wealth of knowledge paid off!

My 99 bird was experiencing several problems

1. cylinders 1&4 were not sparking

2. the horn did not work

3. the turn signals did not work

4. the rear brake did not activate the brake light

The postings on the LOOM problem and spark problems proved to be invaluable in my case.

We started working on the loom first and chose the permanent fix where we removed the connector and soldered the wires together. Then we inserted the new Iridium NGK spark plugs because I was unsure of how many miles were on the old ones and they didn't look pretty. Finally we put in the K&N air filter.

My bike went from sounding like a 250 v-twin with cancer to the purring super sport high performance machine that it is!

You guys have shared a lot of knowledge on here and it saved me a TON of cash I am sure.

This is just a note to say thank you... thank you... thank you!!! :icon_clap: :icon_dance: :icon_pray:

Then we inserted the new Iridium NGK spark plugs because I was unsure of how many miles were on the old ones and they didn't look pretty. Finally we put in the K&N air filter.

Not a believer in routine maintenance? :icon_whistle: :icon_think:

Spark plugs...check every 2 years, expect to replace every 3-4 years...depending on quality of plugs used. I know these new iridium ones will last 50K+ with no issues, but since getting to them is a pain, I dwell on replacing them when I have the bike down for winter maintenance.

Air filter...K&N needs to be dismounted, cleaned and recharged every year. Stock filters you should check every year. Brushing off dirt might buy you an extra year but expect to replace it every 2-3 years no matter what.

Other than the loom fix, these issues were easily preventable from the start. Maintenance can be a pain to do, but it prevents the "WTF is this crap" moments throughout the year.

Had a chattering noise coming from my motor. Just replaced the CCT (70K on the motor). Didn't hear a chirp or feel a vibe coming from the motor when I rode it yesterday. :icon_biggrin:

Any maintenance nazi worth his salt would go by mileage, not time. :icon_wink:

Well, you gotta have balance.

When you have 2-3 months a year you really won't be out riding, it's easier to plan everything major around that time slot. :icon_biggrin:

• 2 weeks later...
Then we inserted the new Iridium NGK spark plugs because I was unsure of how many miles were on the old ones and they didn't look pretty. Finally we put in the K&N air filter.

Not a believer in routine maintenance? :icon_whistle: :icon_think:

I bought the bike in August of 2009 as a 3rd owner and did not know the history of the bike other than the 2nd owner said he replaced the regulator/rectifier and the CCT 2 or 3 years ago. I do the basic maintenance of chain and oil yes but put 10k miles on the bird in 8 months including the winter. This summer was dismal for me with the loss of several family members and unfortunately few riding buddies. My better half asked me to chill out on the long trips for a while so no didtance stuff for me but I am working my way back up.

I dont think I did too bad with my maintenance... :icon_naughty: