CBR1100XX.org Forum

John's Bike Bits Vista Cruise

Zero Knievel

I'm having a devil of a time installing this thing. I have a part I can't visualize how it goes on and I found a thread describing one thing, but no pics of the finished result.

Anyone have pics of the installed Vista Cruise as sold by John's Bike Bits?

Yeah, I saw that one, really doesn't help me. :icon_frown:

I think I found a way to put it on. The metal thingy included does not have anything telling me which way it mounts under the switch assembly. I got the bit about screwing it into an existing hole, but nothing tells you in what orientation it goes. I think I figured it out, but I can't really test it because I broke the metal thingy and need to get another one.

In any case, it fits so tight that it won't let the throttle move even when it's all the way out. That means I have to make it thinner so it will fit right.

I'm contacting the manufacturer for new metal thingy.

The metal piece is for adjusting the tension when finished instead of a screwdriver ?

In that case I really don't know how this is supposed to go on. :icon_frown:

That metal thing is supposed to be a screwdriver? The blade is way too narrow.

A couple different positions that it can be installed.

Not a big detailed picture but is one example

Okay, double checked that pic. With the flange thingy on the Vista placed under/behind the second cable, it looks just like that and goes on, and you're right...that metal thingy is a tool (although I don't get why on the other thread people said to bolt something into the drain hole of the switch assembly and make a new hole.

Still, the Vista Cruise is so tight that just sitting there it binds the throttle from turning. Too thick. The only way I see it mounting is up against the switch housing and before that little ring on the throttle sleeve where your hand grip is supposed to stop at.

What am I doing wrong?

I found these pages and hope they have the answers I need.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...hl=Vista+cruise

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?...hl=Vista+cruise

http://www.jaws-motorcycles.co.uk/cruse/cruise.htm

Did you put the plastic piece between the cruse and the grip?

If there is too much friction it is either adjusted too tight or the grip is too close. I had to trim my grip just a small amount for it to have enough space for the cruse between the grip and housing. Easiest way for install is to take the grip right off and get the cruse the way you want. Make sure you can turn the bars lock to lock without it hitting something, adjust tension on the clamp. Then put the grip back on.

These things are VERY simple and have a 100 different ways to install them. I glued mine to switch housing in the position I wanted the thumb control. It's all in how you prefer it to be located/setup.

Did you put the plastic piece between the cruse and the grip?

I don't even get that far. Tension is so tight that just having the device in place locks the throttle. The printed directions from jaws shows that I have to trim the tab part until the smaller one goes between the two throttle cables. Then, if needed, sand off a bit of plastic (thinning the part) until it goes on smoothly.

Well, I made some progress then hit a wall.

Re-reading the instructions, I see you are supposed to remove that little ridge on the throttle sleeve (see pics). It took some time working carefully with a Dremmel, mat knife and 4000 grit sandpaper, but I got it done.

Then, I used a Dremmel and mat knife to cut away the excess from the Vista as detailed in the Jaws install guide.

The Vista still won't work right, chiefly because there is a slight bend in my handlebar (thanks to the bike being dropped a couple years back). It's not much, but it makes the Vista bind against the switch housing.

So, I either have to find a way to straighten the part out again or consider replacing it.

Time for bar raisers?

Thread research indicates I should go with the ones for a VFR800 ('99 VFR800FI Interceptor), if I want to do this.

Part No. 53100-MBG-000, HANDLEBAR, R. HANDLE, $164.93 ($148.44 @ www.speedsupplies.com)

Part No. 53150-MBG-000, HANDLEBAR, L. HANDLE, $164.93 ($148.44 @ www.speedsupplies.com)

-or- http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?p=662

QUESTION: If I went with VFR800 bars, would all other measurements (diameter and length of bars, hardware, etc.) be identical to the CBR1100XX?

Otherwise, find the best way to remove that bend.

* EDIT * [notes to myself]

Stock right side handlebar (Part No. 53100-MAT-D00, HANDLEBAR, R., $144.98)

Heated grips made by Hot Grips (http://www.hotgrips.com/). Style already on bike.

Listed kit for CBR1100XX is Model 525-875 for 7/8" Handlebars. 5.25" long grips, 1/2" too long for CBR1100XX (based on what's on bike). Model 475-875 for 7/8" Handlebars is 4.75" long and should be a proper fit. $122.95 for either one.

Stock grips for '99 CBR1100XX:

Part No. 53165-MY9-890, GRIP, R. HANDLE, $14.53

Part No. 53166-MY9-890, GRIP, L. HANDLE, $14.53

post-3006-1283704539.gif

post-3006-1283704779.gif

post-3006-1283705065.gif

Other than them being higher, was everything else the same? Esp. length and hardware...just take off one and put on the other?

For an XX you need 01 onward VFR Vtech bars, the earlier bars are 41mm internal diameter the later and XX are 43mm :icon_surprised:

The VFR bars are ~7/8'' higher, ~3/4'' further back and ~1/2'' wider tip>tip than the XX bars :icon_biggrin:

Also I found I couldn't tilt the levers down as far as on the XX bars :icon_confused:

Other than them being higher, was everything else the same? Esp. length and hardware...just take off one and put on the other?

For an XX you need 01 onward VFR Vtech bars, the earlier bars are 41mm internal diameter the later and XX are 43mm :icon_surprised:

The VFR bars are ~7/8'' higher, ~3/4'' further back and ~1/2'' wider tip>tip than the XX bars :icon_biggrin:

Also I found I couldn't tilt the levers down as far as on the XX bars :icon_confused:

Ah...that's helpful.

2001 or later. You're saying the VFR bars are 1/2" LONGER, then, right?

What's odd is that comparing the part numbers, they are identical from 1999 to 2001. That indicates they should be the same. Now later years (e.g, 2005) shows a different part number (MCW instead of MBG).

Thread research indicates I should go with the ones for a VFR800 ('99 VFR800FI Interceptor), if I want to do this.

Part No. 53100-MBG-000, HANDLEBAR, R. HANDLE, $164.93 ($148.44 @ www.speedsupplies.com)

Part No. 53150-MBG-000, HANDLEBAR, L. HANDLE, $164.93 ($148.44 @ www.speedsupplies.com)

No.

You want MCW series, not MBG. The earlier model VFR had 41mm fork tubes, not 43mm. And they're not longer, they are just wider end-to-end on the bike because they don't have as acute an angle in drop and pullback as the XX bars.

No.

You want MCW series, not MBG. The earlier model VFR had 41mm fork tubes, not 43mm. And they're not longer, they are just wider end-to-end on the bike because they don't have as acute an angle in drop and pullback as the XX bars.

Ah....thanks.

I was getting two different views, but I trust the input of those who've done it before. :icon_biggrin:

No.

Exactly :icon_wink: Here is a variation of fitting the VC I saved from OzBB :icon_think:

I actually fitted mine using a combination of the 2 methods. The mounting position was as per the first pic and I did use the plastic tang but I also used a screw into the switch housing between the throttle cables just to make sure and I trimmed the ring on the throttle for clearance as in the link, I didn't have to alter my grips as mine are foam Johar Superbike grips :icon_think:

CBR1100XX_Vista_Cruise_Alternative_Fitting_Instructions.doc

Well, managed to find new(er) handlebars from an '02 VFR800.

I'll wait for those to get in before I do more work. Paid $75 (each one) plus $15 for shipping....hope that's fair...cheaper than buying two new ones.

Should be able to pick-up a used CBR1100XX right handle bar easily enough.

There are many that have replaced the stock bars with the VFR bars here on this forum.

I know I sold mine a few years ago when I went to the VFR bars

Hey John,

If you still need one or both stock bars I have them in Boynton and you can have them for $0. Give me a call if interested

John Bruyn

Should be able to pick-up a used CBR1100XX right handle bar easily enough.

There are many that have replaced the stock bars with the VFR bars here on this forum.

I know I sold mine a few years ago when I went to the VFR bars

Hey John,

If you still need one or both stock bars I have them in Boynton and you can have them for $0. Give me a call if interested

John Bruyn

If you're offering me VFR bars, you're 16 hours too late. :icon_frown:

Well, I made some progress then hit a wall.

Re-reading the instructions, I see you are supposed to remove that little ridge on the throttle sleeve (see pics). It took some time working carefully with a Dremmel, mat knife and 4000 grit sandpaper, but I got it done.

Then, I used a Dremmel and mat knife to cut away the excess from the Vista as detailed in the Jaws install guide.

The Vista still won't work right, chiefly because there is a slight bend in my handlebar (thanks to the bike being dropped a couple years back). It's not much, but it makes the Vista bind against the switch housing.

So, I either have to find a way to straighten the part out again or consider replacing it.

Time for bar raisers?

QUESTION: If I went with VFR800 bars, would all other measurements (diameter and length of bars, hardware, etc.) be identical to the CBR1100XX?

Otherwise, find the best way to remove that bend.

* EDIT * [notes to myself]

Stock right side handlebar (Part No. 53100-MAT-D00, HANDLEBAR, R., $144.98)

Heated grips made by Hot Grips (http://www.hotgrips.com/). Style already on bike.

Listed kit for CBR1100XX is Model 525-875 for 7/8" Handlebars. 5.25" long grips, 1/2" too long for CBR1100XX (based on what's on bike). Model 475-875 for 7/8" Handlebars is 4.75" long and should be a proper fit. $122.95 for either one.

Stock grips for '99 CBR1100XX:

Part No. 53165-MY9-890, GRIP, R. HANDLE, $14.53

Part No. 53166-MY9-890, GRIP, L. HANDLE, $14.53

I've sold over 200 and fitted about 75 of these to Blackbirds.

Please note: DO NOT Dremel anything on the bike, you ONLY need to Dremel the Vista (like in the pictures of Evelakes).

There is not much room between the grips and the housing of the gas-cables (HGC). If you want to fit heated grips this will become even worse, so forget about those, or change or remove the bar-end weights. The heated grips are longer.......

I've noticed that in some BB's you have a lot more room between the ridge on the throttle and the HGC. If you heve enough room it's a straight fit, just Dremel one of the fixation points (see Evelakes pictures above).

If you don't have the room (please note that the HGC is not straight-angled, so it fits a lot better in one place than the other), you need to Dremel the Vista a bit more. I don't really know how to describe it better than cutting the part of the Vista that touches the ridge on the throttle. Just 1 millimeter will do the trick......

Then clean the Vista from all remaining melted plastics, and mount it. You might need to try several times....

In the beginning it is possible that either the Vista is too tight (will not loose the throttle fully), or too weak (will not hold speed). Just mount and use it in either position you like. After a few hours using it it will work a lot better......