CBR1100XX.org Forum

Chain shortening tips.

Zero Knievel

Going with advice for more "fuel saving" gearing, I notice the chain I got is now too long. Nowhere near worn but already needs to be stretched out fairly far to be tensed properly.

Went with 530 ZVM2 110 link chain (normal)

Used a 18T in front and 42T in rear.

I'm not going to replace the sprockets, but this winter, I want to "rehabilitate" the chain by taking out the excess links. I should have checked this when I ordered the chain and ordered a correctly sized one, but I want to know that if I get a new master link, can I cut off X links to make the chain the correct length for the sprockets being used? How many links should be removed to make it the correct size for this gearing?

You have to take out two links to do what you want, which IIRC will be far too short for the axle to even slide in given the factory adjustment range. Pretty sure you're gonna have to live with it. Besides, you should be measuring your chain for proper adjustment as the factory marks are usually not very accurate. That extra inch of wheelbase will improve ride and cut down on the wheelies as well.

You have to take out two links to do what you want, which IIRC will be far too short for the axle to even slide in given the factory adjustment range. Pretty sure you're gonna have to live with it. Besides, you should be measuring your chain for proper adjustment as the factory marks are usually not very accurate. That extra inch of wheelbase will improve ride and cut down on the wheelies as well.

???

I'm confused. If taking two links out would compensate for the effect the smaller sprockets have on the chain tension adjusters, why would it make things "too short?"

Perhaps just removing one link would be appropriate to reach the goal?

Keep in mind that if I go back to stock sprockets, I'd also replace the chain with a stock length chain, not reuse the one I shortened.

Chains have to be shortened in twos, 110, 108, etc. They count the links individually, but you can't cut out just one single link as there would be no way to reattach it.

If you take two links out, I'm fairly sure it would be too short to reattach, regardless as to how far in you ran your adjusters. You could have them all the way in and you still couldn't hook them back together with the axle in.

Chains have to be shortened in twos, 110, 108, etc. They count the links individually, but you can't cut out just one single link as there would be no way to reattach it.

If you take two links out, I'm fairly sure it would be too short to reattach, regardless as to how far in you ran your adjusters. You could have them all the way in and you still couldn't hook them back together with the axle in.

I think you are right, when I went from a 16T front to a 18T the wheel didn't move much with a 110 link chain.

Only one way to find out for sure but it will likely cost you a chain. If you have a old one from your last replacement you could find out, maybe you can put a post up on the forum looking for a chain that is getting swapped, just remember a used chain will be slightly longer so if it is close it may not work on a new chain.

You're +1 on the front, -3 on the rear, so the net is -2.

Cut out one segment (two links) and you're good to go. Your chain adjustment on the swingarm is rendered useless, but it wasn't worth anything to start with so there's nothing lost.

Yes. The adjuster is really only good for a guesstimate on chain longevity, but the way it is now, it's already a nice bit out to take up the slack of the 110-link chain.

If I take 2 off (one whole segment), that would make the chain a 108-link.

To shorten, does it entail just grinding off the factory ends on the next link and pushing it apart, cleaning it up, then putting on a new master link?

The end result would be a 18/42 w/108 links.

You're +1 on the front, -3 on the rear, so the net is -2.

Cut out one segment (two links) and you're good to go. Your chain adjustment on the swingarm is rendered useless, but it wasn't worth anything to start with so there's nothing lost.

To shorten, does it entail just grinding off the factory ends on the next link and pushing it apart, cleaning it up, then putting on a new master link?

The end result would be a 18/42 w/108 links.

Yes,and yes.