CBR1100XX.org Forum

Help!! Should I rebuild the motor or find a used one?

Wetzel

med_gallery_57116_811_997720.jpg

I was out riding today, and has a growling sound comming from somewhere on my bike. I pulled over to check it out and then the bike would not start again. I tried to jump it. The motor would make about a half of turn and stop. I Drained the oil and found large chuncks of metal. It looks like Brass to me. So I pulled the oil and the picture above is what I found :icon_wall:

Heres the only thing I could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-HONDA-...sQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-moto...sQ5fAccessories

I did know of one from a 99 in the Chicago area for $500 but I dont know if that will for in a carbed bike. Ether way I cant find it now

Hi, let me introduce my self,,,Stan Nice to met you but not under these circumstance. Brass is bad. Already past the babbit. Rod and crank at the least. Next to the last one by the chain for the cam. Wiggle the rod. #3 is the one. But being that it is locked up could be more. Valves too.

Do a lot of wheelies?

Let me know if I can help.

Hi, let me introduce my self,,,Stan Nice to met you but not under these circumstance. Brass is bad. Already past the babbit. Rod and crank at the least. Next to the last one by the chain for the cam. Wiggle the rod. #3 is the one. But being that it is locked up could be more. Valves too.

Do a lot of wheelies?

Nice to meet you Stan. My name is Mike.

I do not do wheelies. The guy who had it before me liked to ride wheelies. I knew the bike was neglected when I bought it. I will check the rod today and see what I can find.

Heres the only thing I could find

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1997-HONDA-...sQ5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Engine-moto...sQ5fAccessories

I did know of one from a 99 in the Chicago area for $500 but I dont know if that will for in a carbed bike. Ether way I cant find it now

Thank you

Just for comparison

crank 300

rod 100

bearings 120

gaskets 100

Labor 500 min.

Well, considering used motors of suspect history are 700+, Stan is sounding like a better way to go. Spend a few hundred more with him and have a fresh motor vs a used ?.

And yes Mike this is THE MAN!

Just for comparison

crank 300

rod 100

bearings 120

gaskets 100

Labor 500 min.

Well, considering used motors of suspect history are 700+, Stan is sounding like a better way to go. Spend a few hundred more with him and have a fresh motor vs a used ?.

And yes Mike this is THE MAN!

Yes it looks like Stan is that way to go. Well I guess I'll park it in the front of the grage till I can afford it.

Do a lot of wheelies?

I tried getting my fingures up there but there is to much stuff in the way. What do i need to remove to wiggle the rod?

screw driver,,, should move side to side a little, back and forth none.

Ok I tried to move it around. I have no movment. I compaired it to the others and there all the same.

Could the cam bearings be messed up Some how?

Ok I tried to move it around. I have no movment. I compaired it to the others and there all the same.

No, alum there in the cam bearings. Really the head they run on.

Gotta be the bearings, and if there is no movement at all. Then they are spun and stacked. Should move a little. Going to have to pull some covers and see what you can. Can't think of any other brass.

But being it won't turn over. Sounds real bad.

Gotta be the bearings, and if there is no movement at all. Then they are spun and stacked. Should move a little. Going to have to pull some covers and see what you can. Can't think of any other brass.

If I find an injected motor can i just put my carbs on, or will i have to make other modifications

If I find an injected motor can i just put my carbs on, or will i have to make other modifications

Should be fine.

Should be fine.

Sweet

Should be fine.

Sweet

Update: I have bought a motor off of ebay for 625$ the Guy i bought it from was nice enought to check the oil pan for me no sign of metal in it. :icon_biggrin:

perfect, simply perfect.

what you going to do with the bad one?

I don't know there was some one asking about it. Im going to need to take the covers and starter off of the bad one to put on the new one.

perfect, simply perfect.

what you going to do with the bad one?

I don't know there was some one asking about it. Im going to need to take the covers and starter off of the bad one to put on the new one.

That would be Byrdman Jeff. He is in Chicago area.

anyone know if i need the speciality tools to remove the motor?

I didn't use anything special. Well, my friend Joe has been called "special" before, but that's another story.

Putting the motor back in will require a special socket (can't remember the proper term) for the two rear engine mounts, but you can make that out of an old hex socket using a dremel, die grinder, and/or hack saw.

anyone know if i need the speciality tools to remove the motor?

I didn't use anything special. Well, my friend Joe has been called "special" before, but that's another story.

Putting the motor back in will require a special socket (can't remember the proper term) for the two rear engine mounts, but you can make that out of an old hex socket using a dremel, die grinder, and/or hack saw.

Ok so I shouldn't by the socket