CBR1100XX.org Forum

over heating xx

WHENDEATHCOMES

i have a 01 xx with digital guages and i was wondering why my bike reaches 256 degrees just idling is this normal or do i need a cooler runnning thermostat? i bought the bike out of denver colorado and i dont know if altitude makes a difference im a couple thousand feet below denver in oklahoma city so is there anything witht he fuel injection that might need to be adjusted also? also the i hear a ticking like a valve i was told it was the exhuast hitting the bak of the valve on the way out, sounds like bullshit to me but im new to honda so tell me what u guys think

My '97 doesn't run that hot here in Florida. Visit your local dealer and start to get chatty with the service guys. You'll be amazed at what you can learn from them for free about your XX.

My ridding buddy's RC51 runs about that hot, but then the radiators are side mounted, so they don't get the airflow like ours gets.

Rich

"Just idling" as in not moving? It'll overheat everytime if that's what your talking about, it needs to move for the cooling system to do it's job.

I've got an '01 as well, never seen over 246, and that was being stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day. If your showing those kinds of temps while moving, there's definitely a problem.

I was cruising the beach a couple of weeks ago in stop and go traffic and my Bird reached 256 degrees, also. Isn't it scary seeing that temperature gauge start flashing at you? Needless to say, I pulled over to let her cool down before she shut down (quite emabarassing). Anyway, I think it's perfectly normal (for a Blackbird) to get that hot if you're just letting it idle with no airflow.

Joe

Hey WHENDEATHCOMES what's up? I overheat too while idling. That's why cutting traffic is legal :twisted: so I wouldn't worry about it. Goose your throttle a few times and it will cool a little.

The clicking noise is your CCT. An inexpensive and easy repair (from what I've read on the old, vanished forum).

Overheat = Coolant overflowing, engine suffering damage

If that is not happening, you're not overheating. The XX runs hot. It's a byproduct of a lot of motor in a small space, headers close to the radiator, and lots of plastic covering.

You can significantly lower temperatures with Waterwetter.

If you don't have to worry about freezing in your area, just remove all the coolant and replace it with 20% silica-free coolant and distilled water, then add 4 ounces of Waterwetter. This will reduce engine temps by 10 degrees or more typically.

If you do need freeze protection, then use as much coolant/anti-freeze as required for your temps.