CBR1100XX.org Forum

Project 1200

grahamcuk

like everything cept the old style ducati tail..keeps the bike dated......

As opposed to buying a bunch of stuff for a bike and bolting it on?

There's more hand made, one off stuff on this bike than anyone can even realize, including the highly modified "old style Ducati tail" that to this day, remains part of one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever to be designed...The 916 Ducati is a rolling work of art and is timeless, and I don't even like Ducati's ...To use it on this bike is a compliment to the original designer...

Then again, that's just my opinion,and it's from a guy who has little regard for "bolt on" customization and a very high regard for people who can actually fabricate things...

There's more hand made, one off stuff on this bike than anyone can even realize, including the highly modified "old style Ducati tail" that to this day, remains part of one of the most beautiful motorcycles ever to be designed...The 916 Ducati is a rolling work of art and is timeless, and I don't even like Ducati's ...To use it on this bike is a compliment to the original designer...

Then again, that's just my opinion,and it's from a guy who has little regard for "bolt on" customization and a very high regard for people who can actually fabricate things...

Almost sounds like you are harping on my bike.. but by no means am I trying to say my bike is better. Trust me im envious of those that can custom fabricate stuff. My artistic imagination starts and ends with stick figures so for me I must just throw money at stuff and "bolt" stuff on or pay for people to make me one off items.... so dont go thinking im sticking my nose up in the air about his bike. I just dont think the boxy style ducati tail keeps the theme of the sleek lines of the XX and it makes the XX look like its a bike from the mid to late 90's even though we all know it was made from 97-2006 the bike had a futuristic look or should I say a more aerodynamic look than the others on the market and still, other than the fact that the new hondas have hidden most of the fasteners, looks up to date, but in my own opinion, I think that tail section brings the bike back before its orriginal date and fights with the front forks/calipers on whether or not its a 2010 model or a 1996 model. Just my two cents worth!

Almost sounds like you are harping on my bike.. but by no means am I trying to say my bike is better. Trust me im envious of those that can custom fabricate stuff. My artistic imagination starts and ends with stick figures so for me I must just throw money at stuff and "bolt" stuff on or pay for people to make me one off items.... so dont go thinking im sticking my nose up in the air about his bike. I just dont think the boxy style ducati tail keeps the theme of the sleek lines of the XX and it makes the XX look like its a bike from the mid to late 90's even though we all know it was made from 97-2006 the bike had a futuristic look or should I say a more aerodynamic look than the others on the market and still, other than the fact that the new hondas have hidden most of the fasteners, looks up to date, but in my own opinion, I think that tail section brings the bike back before its orriginal date and fights with the front forks/calipers on whether or not its a 2010 model or a 1996 model. Just my two cents worth!

Actually,I wasn't "harping" on anyone's bike, just commenting on fabricating something vrs bolting something on...

While the tailsection on Project 1200 looks like a Duc's, it's entirely handmade of carbon fiber and removes entirely with a keyed lock.

He could have made it look like anything but chose the Duc for it's timeless beauty and style.

I understood immediately because I too used a Ducati 916 tailsection on 1 of my project bikes 10 years ago, a 195HP first gen Suzuki Bandit.

I thought it blended perfectly with the exposed frame and the shape of the fuel tank.

Personally, I think Graham's efforts put his bike in a class all by itself...

eliXXir my friend, coming from you I take that as a great complement.

Yes the arm is 900 rr

As Hank said the seat unit is hand made and could have look like anything . The seat and locking system took some where in the region of 70 -80 hours to get to the end result with a number of prototypes going in the bin.

I completey under stand why some people will not like the seat unit , but I love it and at the end of the day that is all that matters to me.

Our bikes are like our dogs, a reflection of our personalities, both what we are and what we want to be. Not just the looks but the essence and personalities of them both.

The VFR that I had had something that I could not get over, the turn signals in the body work. Everything else was as it should be, and some things I still like better. A bird body on it and 1200 cc of gear driven cams motor, and USD forks and a 6" rear rim...OH baby! My ZXXX project was as close as I could get, and maybe I will do it the other way some day.

I love the front on the 916, but the back of the Desmosedici better. With the exhaust in the tail and coming up out the top, mummm.

Custom is where my heart is.

Our bikes are like our dogs, a reflection of our personalities, both what we are and what we want to be. Not just the looks but the essence and personalities of them both.

The VFR that I had had something that I could not get over, the turn signals in the body work. Everything else was as it should be, and some things I still like better. A bird body on it and 1200 cc of gear driven cams motor, and USD forks and a 6" rear rim...OH baby! My ZXXX project was as close as I could get, and maybe I will do it the other way some day.

I love the front on the 916, but the back of the Desmosedici better. With the exhaust in the tail and coming up out the top, mummm.

Custom is where my heart is.

One of my dreams is to design and build my own motor from scratch , but for now I'll be happy just getting my head around engine management and forced induction.

One of my dreams is to design and build my own motor from scratch , but for now I'll be happy just getting my head around engine management and forced induction.

like this? and then gone baby gone...sorry.

like this?

Stan, looking at those pics is giving me a headache...

Can't wait to hear about it...

Well I turned the cylinder on the side and it rotates around and the tooth becomes the piston, closing the cylinder....a TRUROTOR engine...

very neat, as i understand this is the engine you have a patent pending on ? does it run ? what kind of hp would you expect to get from it ? looks very cool & more compact than a traditional piston engine

I guess you posted up for comments but the picture is terrible - blurry like a shaky camera phone.

USD forks look great but I don't like the fender vent to nowhere, don't like the boxey tail, and I think you need some accent color/decals.

The rest just looks like a bird. I don't think anyone has improved the classic lines. The best I saw was putting the turn signals in the tail. Perhaps you are asking the wrong crowd (except for Hanksxx).

1200cc sounds good. Does it make some more power? Springs, cams, valves so it could rev to 12k or 14K would be cool.

Were you going to try and get the weight down 100 lbs or something? How did that go?

I'd like to see the bike with the exhaust, tail lights, plate mount, mirrors, etc.

Congrats on getting it all together and running.

I hope not,my dog is a lazy,overweight,old and going grey and makes funny noises.....oh shit....it's like looking in a mirror!

I hope not,my dog is a lazy,overweight,old and going grey and makes funny noises.....oh shit....it's like looking in a mirror!

LOL you got it!!!

I guess you posted up for comments but the picture is terrible - blurry like a shaky camera phone.

USD forks look great but I don't like the fender vent to nowhere, don't like the boxey tail, and I think you need some accent color/decals.

The rest just looks like a bird. I don't think anyone has improved the classic lines. The best I saw was putting the turn signals in the tail. Perhaps you are asking the wrong crowd (except for Hanksxx).

1200cc sounds good. Does it make some more power? Springs, cams, valves so it could rev to 12k or 14K would be cool.

Were you going to try and get the weight down 100 lbs or something? How did that go?

I'd like to see the bike with the exhaust, tail lights, plate mount, mirrors, etc.

Congrats on getting it all together and running.

Project 1200 is based on a 97 CBR1100XXV and is one my personal bikes, I have been working on the project for around 3 years.

Laid out on this page are the modifications that I have made to the frame, suspension, brakes, wheels and motor. All the modifications and parts I have made and developed are available as products and services.

Frame, fork and rear end;

The frame has been shot blasted, etch primed and repainted (please take a look at the gallery to see the colour I have produced from our mixing scheme.)

It now has 954 fire blade yokes fitted with our blackbird taper roller bearing kit. The top yoke has been machined to take a Blackbird ignition and steering lock.

The steering head bump stops have been machined to stop the forks hitting the frame.

The forks are VTR1000SP1, re-valved and re-sprung to suit the Blackbird weight.

The swingarm is Fireblade rrw with Blackbird Ohlin’s remote gas and remote preload adjuster shock. This is fitted to the Blackbird frame with a one off fitting kit.

Braking system;

The front brakes are late model Fireblade radial calipers held to forks by one off brackets.

The rear brake is from an early model Fireblade.

Project 1200 has HEL Performance black braided stainless brake lines (delinked) front and rear. The front discs are brembo 320mm on one off carriers.

The rear is off a standard blade.

Wheels;

The wheels are Dymag three spokes, fitted to bike with titanium one off spindles front and rear and have been custom painted.

Rear subframe and seat unit;

The bike has one off tubular rear sub frame using Ducati 916 rear pillion pegs, alloy battery box and custom lights.

The seat unit is styled on the Ducati 916 but has been hand moulded to the Blackbird frame and lights. A two piece mould was made to produce a very light but strong carbon fibre unit.

The same system was employed to produce the under tray.

Other parts;

one off alloy coil mounts.

Talon front and rear billet sprockets.

Gilles vario handle bars

Gilles adjustable rear set foot pegs.

Motor;

The standard head casting was ported and gas flowed then had stainless valve and up rated springs, titanium retainers fitted.

Kent cams with adjustable timing gear, then the head was reshimmed.

Project 1200 now has a Wisco 1197cc piston kit on shot peened, matched and balanced rods.

The crankshaft is now micro balanced with new main and big end bearings, rotor and clutch basket have also been balanced.

The balancing shafts have been removed.

Crankcases have been reworked and one off titanium blanking plugs made.

Barrnett clutch kit with up rated springs.

HEL performance oil cooler with stainless oil lines

Dyna 2000 ignition ECU

Dyna 2.2 ohm coils and heavy HT leads

41mm flat slide carbs

Akrapovic ti 4 into 1 race system

Here some more pics of the work to date. Still got a bit to do but the end is in site.

When I take the fairing off this time to fit the light and check a few things it will be the last time for a while I hope. I'm aiming to have her on the road in 2-3 weeks.

post-53763-1271306904.jpg

post-53763-1271306929.jpg

post-53763-1271306952.jpg

post-53763-1271306981.jpg

post-53763-1271307006.jpg

Perhaps you are asking the wrong crowd (except for Hanksxx).
Perhaps you should speak for yourself?

+1

Nice work, Graham. I wish I had any fabrication skills at all. I'm all proud of myself when I manage to make a mount for a brake reservoir out of flat aluminum stock. :icon_redface:

Perhaps you are asking the wrong crowd (except for Hanksxx).
Perhaps you should speak for yourself?

+1

Nice work, Graham. I wish I had any fabrication skills at all. I'm all proud of myself when I manage to make a mount for a brake reservoir out of flat aluminum stock. :icon_redface:

Agreed 100% I love the project and am now interested in the removal of the balance shaft idea.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.