CBR1100XX.org Forum

brake fluid flush

nybryan

I have a 02 bird i bought last year. The fluid looked good through the window but I figured I didn't know how long it had been in there. With a second set of hands it was no big deal to pump and flush out the fluid. I was surprised how much better the brakes worked. Just a suggestion for anyone that hasn't changed the fluid in a while might want to give it a shot.

With moisture and time brake fluid turns to jello that is hard to pump out.

The fluid in a 2002 may be eight or nine years old. May be a good time to upgrade to EBC too.

Always pop a fresh can of fluid. A "half full" can is half full of moist air.

Always pop a fresh can of fluid. A "half full" can is half full of moist air.

True. I even put the date I unseal the bottle on it. Up to a month after I first opened it, I might use it. After that it might as well go in the trash. Since the bigger bottles are more cost effective, it's not uncommon for me to have some left over.

• 3 weeks later...
Backstreet,

You will love the EBC HHs.

It does take some getting used to the sound of a lathe working on your discs.

I bought my bird last year and have decided to flush and also upgrade the the EBC's after reading the boards. My question is that I hear the "lathe" sound that you are talking about now and have since I bought the bike. I am not sure what the thickness of the rotors should be or what the sound usually is since I am coming off a goldwing where you hear nuthin but the radio.

How do I know when to replace the rotors too (and no there are no scrapes or warping or anything to make it obvious to the non-mechanical).

Time to buy a clymer shop manual I guess...

Joe

Backstreet,

You will love the EBC HHs.

It does take some getting used to the sound of a lathe working on your discs.

I bought my bird last year and have decided to flush and also upgrade the the EBC's after reading the boards. My question is that I hear the "lathe" sound that you are talking about now and have since I bought the bike. I am not sure what the thickness of the rotors should be or what the sound usually is since I am coming off a goldwing where you hear nuthin but the radio.

How do I know when to replace the rotors too (and no there are no scrapes or warping or anything to make it obvious to the non-mechanical).

Time to buy a clymer shop manual I guess...

Joe

I have never heard the lathe sound on my HH pads. Of course I am old and hard of hearing. :icon_biggrin:

Try THIS before buying the clymer manual.