CBR1100XX.org Forum

*Updated mystery hose identified* as I get deeper there are more??'s

cecome

1. what kind of person would drill out their airbox?

2. how bad are my velocity stacks, do they require replacement?

3. I guess this is a vacume hose, any idea why it would just have a bolt in it?

post-1447-1269384627.jpg

post-1447-1269384684.jpg

post-1447-1269384770.jpg

Re: those holes ... any chance someone was shooting NO2 into the intakes? Very symmetrical & can't think of any other reason to do that.

Dunno about how those stacks would affect performance or that hose. Sorry.

Re: those holes ... any chance someone was shooting NO2 into the intakes? Very symmetrical & can't think of any other reason to do that.

Dunno about how those stacks would affect performance or that hose. Sorry.

thanks, don't think there was any NO2, if there was they didn't sell that system with the bike.

If it was nitrous, I'd like to see how that was rigged. There's not much room between the tank and the top of the airbox to set up a standard fogger setup like I have on my dragbike. It must have been a bar or something of that nature, but that's still awfully tight. All of my stuff is mounted inside the airbox, and took several hours of planning to get to fit. But I'm EFI, you carbed guys may have a little more room than me.

Why would anybody drill holes on the wrong side of the filter, it's letting in nonfiltered air.

Got me...I plan on getting a replacement, but it will likely require some tunning after the fact since it seems to run this way....

Got me...I plan on getting a replacement

No need to spend $$ on replacement as many things could be used to plug the holes (duct tape, bolts, etc.) and you can't see it with the tank on.

thanks, I think it is pretty important to keep the dust out of there...

1. You could use duct tape to cover the holes, but I would worry about it getting sucked in the box if engine heat were to soften the tape.

2. Velocity stacks look okay to me.

3. That hose looks like an overflow for the float-bowl on the carbs, but could also be a vacuum hose. Not sure since I have never owned a carbed BB.

I'd check the shop manual to see what it is.

1. You could use duct tape to cover the holes, but I would worry about it getting sucked in the box if engine heat were to soften the tape.

2. Velocity stacks look okay to me.

3. That hose looks like an overflow for the float-bowl on the carbs, but could also be a vacuum hose. Not sure since I have never owned a carbed BB.

I'd check the shop manual to see what it is.

thanks very much for your feedback!!!!!

1. replacement air-box on it's way, didn't want to risk foreign material into the carbs... 20.51 shipped from ebay someone is parting out a 97 and they took my offer of 10.00 + shipping.

2. Thanks they are a little chewed up but I trust your judgment

3. I guess I could take the bolt out of it and see if she fires, been digging in the manual but can't exactly find it yet, section 5 page 7 bottom right picture looks like it.

Take a couple long strips of Duct Tape or Gorilla Tape and go across the air filter housing, side to side. The tape won't go anywhere and there would be nothing to get drawn into the carbs...

Opps...to late...

BTW, I just looked at a spare set of carbs I have and I can't find anything that hose would connect to..except maybe the thermostat housing. There is a hose from it to the radiator that runs over the #3 and #4 carbs and around the engine, to a small barb on the radiator...Wonder if that got blocked off???

Nah, just took another look and that's doubtful...dunno, the hose appears to go nowhere????

Take a couple long strips of Duct Tape or Gorilla Tape and go across the air filter housing, side to side. The tape won't go anywhere and there would be nothing to get drawn into the carbs...

Opps...to late...

BTW, I just looked at a spare set of carbs I have and I can't find anything that hose would connect to..except maybe the thermostat housing. There is a hose from it to the radiator that runs over the #3 and #4 carbs and around the engine, to a small barb on the radiator...Wonder if that got blocked off???

Nah, just took another look and that's doubtful...dunno, the hose appears to go nowhere????

thanks for the feedback...I wonder if it could be an overflow...I might try to remove the bolt in the unused end and see how it effects the bike when running..that is after the new r/r is in.

Opps...to late...

thanks for the feedback...I wonder if it could be an overflow...I might try to remove the bolt in the unused end and see how it effects the bike when running..that is after the new r/r is in.

I'd follow that hose to where it's connected and see what it's connected to.

I can't see anything there on my spare carbs.

That is the carb for #3 cylinder, isn't it?

Opps...to late...

I'd follow that hose to where it's connected and see what it's connected to.

I can't see anything there on my spare carbs.

That is the carb for #3 cylinder, isn't it?

yes #3, it has a bolt in the other end It looks like it is connected to the #3 carb

Picked up a motorcycle trailer at an estate sale (well, a guy on another forum I know was selling stuff for the widow). Got it for $500. I suspect I still got a good deal, but the wood deck needs replacing, there is rust all over it in places I really couldn't see when I picked it up. Wiring harness damaged. It's going to look like new by the time it's ready to actually haul anything.

The prior owner actually welded extra metal on the rear of it and poured concrete into it to add weight. :icon_rolleyes:

Picked up a motorcycle trailer at an estate sale (well, a guy on another forum I know was selling stuff for the widow). Got it for $500. I suspect I still got a good deal, but the wood deck needs replacing, there is rust all over it in places I really couldn't see when I picked it up. Wiring harness damaged. It's going to look like new by the time it's ready to actually haul anything.

The prior owner actually welded extra metal on the rear of it and poured concrete into it to add weight. :icon_rolleyes:

Mispost maybe???

LOL

Disconnect the carb end of that hose and take a pic...

Neither of my 2 sets of carbs have anything there..

PM sent...if it is not a vacume hose then I won't be too concerned

I fixed holes very much like this on another bike a few years ago.

My suggestion is this:

Make sure the hole is clean with no burs

Stick masking tape over each hole on one side (I'd do inside)

Mix up and fill in the hole from the other side with a glob of jbweld

Remove the masking tape after a day and you will have a patch that is incredibly strong and durable.

My suggestion is this:

Remove the masking tape after a day and you will have a patch that is incredibly strong and durable.

thanks, I have a replacement on the way got a deal I couldn't pass up.

There are 2 vent hoses on the back of the carbs, normally that are clipped together, but open to atmosphere. (I think for supplying ambient pressure to the back of the diaphragms.) There is another vacuum hose from #2 or 3, that should go to the back of the petcock on the underside of the tank. There are fittings on the other 3 carbs that match that one, they are all on the engine side of the carb & are used for balancing them.

Mispost maybe???

LOL

More like a side track.

When I got the trailer, I figure I'd clean it up, get rid of a few rust spots and touch up the paint...replace broken lights. Now that I've gotten it to the frame, the last owner really didn't take good care of it....rust everywhere. The deeper I look, the more I see needs to be fixed. I hope $500 was a fair price for what I got.

My suggestion is this:

Jesus! :icon_eek: And I thought duct tape was a bad idea. :icon_rolleyes:

No offense Dude, but if there was even the slightest chance one of those plugs could come loose............I shudder to think.

Mispost maybe???

LOL

More like a side track.

When I got the trailer, I figure I'd clean it up, get rid of a few rust spots and touch up the paint...replace broken lights. Now that I've gotten it to the frame, the last owner really didn't take good care of it....rust everywhere. The deeper I look, the more I see needs to be fixed. I hope $500 was a fair price for what I got.

Sounds like a full-blown hi-jack to me. :icon_biggrin: