CBR1100XX.org Forum

What to look for in a '99 - '03 CBR1100XX

KaziXX

I am interested in purchasing a XX and would like to know what items I should look out for and what to expect when purchsaing an XX from '99 to '03. I have mechanical skills, I did a frame up restoration on the KZ1100. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. My budget is between $4000 and $5000.

Thanks,

Kazi

Really not much to look out for except maybe if the bike has been obviously abused in some way.

They are bulletproof

Thank you for the quick response! What are the most common mod's that people make to the XX? This bike will be my commute bike and I usually take long trips on it at least once per year.

Common mods would be to raise stock bars or add heli/vfr bars to raise them up. Another common mod would be to lower riders pegs using Buell begs or a member's lowering kit. Corbin seats are nice for long trips, but fit people different so try your stock seat for a while. The 01 and newer bikes had a slightly higher stock windshield. The 99-00 had a few issues with a wiring loom connector getting corroded but is easy to fix permanently.

What part of the country are you from? I'm sure someone is local and may let you feel some mods before you do any.

The XX is damned near bulletproof. Those items which have higher failure rates than the rest of the bike include the charging system (stator, regulator) and the rubber band that holds the tool kit in place.

Here are some excerpts from a recent reply I made to a similar request on other site. I've modified it somewhat from the original.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can't tell anything by looking at the electrics unless they are literally fried and you can see the burn marks.

If you're concerned about the charging system, take your voltmeter and check across the battery terminals for at least 13.5 volts at anything over 3000rpm. Should be close to 14.5 as you near 5000rpm.

Take a small bright light and your reading glasses and check the brake pads. The left front is more prone to wear than the other calipers, and the rears wear out more frequently than other bikes due to the linked braking system.

Look for scrapes on the underside of the mirror housing and on the bottom outer edge of the footbrake pedal. In case you don't know, the mirror housing rotates forward and backwards, and when the bike falls over, the mirror folds and gets scraped on the bottom leading edge, not the outside edge. The brake pedal normally only scrapes when the bike falls over...rarely does the pedal hit the ground during cornering.

There are two sizes of fairing bolts. On the right side lower cowl, there are two of the larger bolts that would be in front of your knee....one high, and one low near foot level. Push in on that lower one. If it gives, the mount is broken off. The bike will be perfectly fine without it, but its an indication that the bike has been down. The mount is fragile and doesn't take much to break, so if its broken, that doesn't necessarily mean the bike has sustained heavy damage at all. The cost of replacing it is high, requiring a new engine oil pan, so its often not replaced when snapped off.

If the brake/clutch fluid was changed, the sight glasses in the reservoirs at the handlegrip levers should be clear and very light colored, not amber.

Look for symmetry in the upper cowl and dash. If the bike is assembled with a slightly tweaked cowl stay, the fairing won't fit right. You'll see different sized gaps between the plastic parts, and uneven fit. Look for cracks in the rear cowl around the mounting bolts where the washers have been omitted or the bolts overtightened. Check under the headlight...there's a hole in the cowl that should have a plastic cover...about 2x3 inches or so. Often the cover is misplaced. Check that the switch housings don't rotate on the bars. During an accident or if the bike is transported with a Canyon Dancer type tie-down, the pins that hold those switch pods in place can shear off.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Common modifications include:

*higher bars or raising the stock ones

*aftermarket windscreens

*raising the rear ride height with a shim on the shock. (search 6mm shim, shock shim, shim, or "best $.75 I've ever spent")

*HID headlight conversions

*Corbin or other aftermarket seat

*hard luggage (usually Givi)

*crash shrooms

Common mods would be to raise stock bars or add heli/vfr bars to raise them up. Another common mod would be to lower riders pegs using Buell begs or a member's lowering kit. Corbin seats are nice for long trips, but fit people different so try your stock seat for a while. The 01 and newer bikes had a slightly higher stock windshield. The 99-00 had a few issues with a wiring loom connector getting corroded but is easy to fix permanently.

What part of the country are you from? I'm sure someone is local and may let you feel some mods before you do any.

Thank you again, I live in Fort Worth, TX - I am trying to update my profile.

99 and 00 have a wiring harness issue. Best bet is to just buy a newer one than have to deal with the ghost in the machine. Some replace the steering bearings with tapered rollers, I just greased mine and put it back together and have no issues with that either. Other than that, my 99 is still flawless. I abuse the hell out of her though.

99 and 00 have a wiring harness issue. Best bet is to just buy a newer one than have to deal with the ghost in the machine. Some replace the steering bearings with tapered rollers, I just greased mine and put it back together and have no issues with that either. Other than that, my 99 is still flawless. I abuse the hell out of her though.

Don't let that wire loom problem scare you. I have two '99 Birds with 23K on the one I drag race and 41K on the other. I haven't had to touch the wiring yet except for one new regulator/rectifier. (Yes, I'm knocking on wood.) :icon_rolleyes:

A better reason to buy a later version would be to get the digital dash. :icon_cool:

P.S. Both of my tool kit straps are also original. :icon_dance:

I will say that I have over 50k on mine. I have a tendency to get caught in the rain (a lot) which I think has contributed to my ongoing frustrations with my harness. This spring I am just buying and installing a new one. It doesn't affect the function as far as my butt dyno can assess, but I had to put a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light so it doesn't keep shining red at me. I have still driven it since electrical gremlins came to stay.

I did the pull the plug off, cut the wires, solder the groups together fix. It lasted for 2 years. 2 very wet years.

Don't let that wire loom problem scare you. I have two '99 Birds with 23K on the one I drag race and 41K on the other. I haven't had to touch the wiring yet except for one new regulator/rectifier. (Yes, I'm knocking on wood.) :icon_rolleyes:

A better reason to buy a later version would be to get the digital dash. :icon_cool:

P.S. Both of my tool kit straps are also original. :icon_dance:

Thank you - I really hate electrical problems. I will focus a little more on 01's.

I will say that I have over 50k on mine. I have a tendency to get caught in the rain (a lot) which I think has contributed to my ongoing frustrations with my harness. This spring I am just buying and installing a new one. It doesn't affect the function as far as my butt dyno can assess, but I had to put a piece of electrical tape over the check engine light so it doesn't keep shining red at me. I have still driven it since electrical gremlins came to stay.

I did the pull the plug off, cut the wires, solder the groups together fix. It lasted for 2 years. 2 very wet years.

We have a lot of rain over here also - I usually ride thru it. I will ride if the temp is 35 as long as it is clear and no ice on the bridges. I lived in RR in '95 before coming here to Ft. Worth - I really miss the sunrises and sunsets - they are spectacular almost every day!

I have family in Denton, I'd like to end up out there if work pays me to go. I love the rides up the Sandias and the trips to Jemez springs here. I seem to get caught in the monsoons and swim with my bike in water up to the bottom of my header when I get it coming back from the mountain run. I've had my poor bird calf deep in water more times than I can remember and am just too stupid to stop and get out of the rain, heh. I got ya beat for temps, though. I work nights and tend to really enjoy nighttime riding. I can throw on a windbreaker, a neck sock and my lined jacket and chaps and I stay out for hours at about the mid 20s.

My back yard faces the Sandias and I can see snow on the mountain while standing in my back yard in a t-shirt and shorts. :icon_biggrin:

Go get one of them birds and enjoy the hell out of it!

I wouldn't completely write off 99's if you find a nice one.

I've had my 99 for over 5 years and it now has 52,000 miles, with the last 32,000 my own. Over the years my FI has started to flicker twice. Each time I located the plug in the harness and just plugged-unplugged the connector a few times and taped it back. The last time it happened was probably about 1.5-2 years ago. The connector always looks factory, shiny new. It seems on my XX that the connector just needs to be exercised to make a solid connection occasionally.

Other than that it has been completely trouble free. Brake pads, chains, sprockets, fluids, tires, and rear wheel bearings have been changed, but all is routine. I have recently, for peace of mind, changed the fuel pressure regulator, and voltage regulator, but both original items were functioning fine when removed.

Their like a rock, will never look outdated, and I'm looking forward to many more miles.

I wouldn't completely write off 99's if you find a nice one.

I've had my 99 for over 5 years and it now has 52,000 miles, with the last 32,000 my own. Over the years my FI has started to flicker twice. Each time I located the plug in the harness and just plugged-unplugged the connector a few times and taped it back. The last time it happened was probably about 1.5-2 years ago. The connector always looks factory, shiny new. It seems on my XX that the connector just needs to be exercised to make a solid connection occasionally.

Other than that it has been completely trouble free. Brake pads, chains, sprockets, fluids, tires, and rear wheel bearings have been changed, but all is routine. I have recently, for peace of mind, changed the fuel pressure regulator, and voltage regulator, but both original items were functioning fine when removed.

Their like a rock, will never look outdated, and I'm looking forward to many more miles.

Excellent! I certainly have a lot of great advice from you and the other guys concerning the XX's and I really appreciate it. You have allowed me the privilege to select the right bike and perhaps save a few $$ in the process. What type of chain and sprockets did you buy to replace your old ones? The KZ is a shaft drive and I had an Intruder before that and it was a shaft drive as well so I do not have any experience with them.

I do not mind taking care of the regular maintenance and kind of enjoy testing my work after I finish. I have found that if you use some di-electric grease on the connectors you have fewer issues. Especially if you ride in adverse conditions a lot like Mekanix and I.

Thank you again.

I'd look for someone that is going to be honest about the things that DO go wrong like CCT and the charging system. At least that way you know the guys not trying to fuck you over by lying and you know what to expect when you start riding the CRAP out of it.

I believe its highly beneficial to do your own wrenching on this motorcycle. Many dealers/service departments have never seen one, and its hard to give expert service on something you've never even heard of. The knowledge base here is long and deep, but can be considered somewhat limited because so little ever goes wrong with these bikes that sometimes there's just a problem that nobody (or very few) have ever had to deal with.

My '99 has 40k miles, and did wear out the original battery after 8 years, and that's the extent of electrical problems. I've ridden a bit in the rain....and snow...

I'd look for someone that is going to be honest about the things that DO go wrong like CCT and the charging system. At least that way you know the guys not trying to fuck you over by lying and you know what to expect when you start riding the CRAP out of it.

Thanks for reminding me, and I did leave out the CCT in my replace list. Easy to forget-30,000 miles ago,$35, and 15 minutes.

Also, my XX is on its 3rd tool strap. I replaced the original with one I got on the board, and it didn't last long, so I got an OEM to replace it.

Life is good!

I live on the sw side of Fort Worth. If you find a bike, I'll be glad to look at it with you. Just drop me a PM.

-Kyle

Thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to contact you. I have seen quite a few that look promising but they seem to be all over the country. I will make my purchase in the March - April time frame.

Kazi

I live on the sw side of Fort Worth. If you find a bike, I'll be glad to look at it with you. Just drop me a PM.

-Kyle

Thank you for the offer, I really appreciate it. I will be sure to contact you. I have seen quite a few that look promising but they seem to be all over the country. I will make my purchase in the March - April time frame.

Kazi

Hopefully you find one before some of the local XX meetings. I'll keep an eye open.

I believe its highly beneficial to do your own wrenching on this motorcycle. Many dealers/service departments have never seen one, and its hard to give expert service on something you've never even heard of. The knowledge base here is long and deep, but can be considered somewhat limited because so little ever goes wrong with these bikes that sometimes there's just a problem that nobody (or very few) have ever had to deal with.

Agreed. There's one service guy at DFW Honda that even knows what an XX is, and that's because he has one.

There's an XX expert at Cowboy down in Kyle, though.

OP, Check This for lots of "common info" items on the Bird.