CBR1100XX.org Forum

BRAKES DRAGGING

TFT

Last summer I noticed a noise from the front wheel on Jackie's 2001 XX. I thought it might have been the front wheel bearing. I was removing the wheel and it now seemed like the brakes were dragging. I pulled the left brake off (the side with the LBS) and could definitely see that brake was dragging, though the other brake was also dragging. removing them both the wheel turned freely, so no apparent issue with the wheel bearings.

What could be wrong?

It looks like maybe the forks are a bit twisted

Where is a good place to buy ebc brake pads?

HPIM2262.jpg

HPIM2264.jpg

Spacers seem to be correct.

HPIM2266.jpg

HPIM2267.jpg

1) That pad is shot and has been for awhile, there's your noise.

2) Some drag is normal, how many times will the wheel rotate if you give it a strong spin?

3) It's not uncommon for the pads on the left caliper to wear unevenly like that.

It is well known fact chromed wheels accelerate brake pad wear.

Seriously,pads are killed,and yes,they don`t wear evenly.

It has been a while but Chaparral Motorsports used to have really good prices on EBCs.

Make sure those pistons are clean before pushing them back into calipers.Brake parts cleaner and soft brush work very well.

It is funny that the lack of bearing clearance prevents the wobble that pushes the pads back in and relieves the drag of the pads, if the relief hole is clear of particulate matter in the master cylinder.

Call if that is not clear. I will talk Texan.

I have often found that after some time, usually several pad sets, there is a lip around the edge of the disc rim. This is the first bit to start rubbing when the pads are getting close to end of life. The longer the disc has been in use, the bigger the lip & sooner it starts rubbing.

Just think of it as an early warning system for when you don't look at the pads often enough. :icon_evilgrin::icon_whistle:

I had a problem with my rear brake draggin, it was the master cylinder. It was so bad it blued the rotor, lucky it was under warrenty. It your rotor is not discolored really bad you probably don't have a problem.

I am wondering if maybe she is touching the rear pedal a little and preventing the relief hole in the master from letting the pads retract.

Might adjust the pedal to help too.

• 2 months later...

If you're brakes were dragging make sure and put your rotors on a lathe and check the tolerances on those...brakes take motion and dissipate that energy into heat to provide stopping...however...too much heat and those rotors will warp which can screw with you bad.

Also...check the caliper pistons and seals...make sure they're clean and not pitted/damaged and are clean.

Check your master cylinder...that relief hole is CRITICAL for relieving your brakes...if it's clogged even partially...it will mess you up!

Regular brake maintenance is a necessity...these birds can build up some speed quick...and you need to be able to stop it eventually ;) Change your pads...and don't forget to change the fluid and bleed those brakes!

Busa brakes do that tooo....ask Byrdman!

I have some front calipers if you need them Tom, come to Rednexxt and they are free!

Chrome wheels are gay!

I would sell them!

:icon_biggrin: