CBR1100XX.org Forum

Removing counter-balancers

jon haney

Since I already have my BB drag bike motor apart, I was thinking about removing the balancer weights. Has anyone else done this? How bad is the vibration? Will there be a loss of oil pressure with no bearings on the shafts?

Since I already have my BB drag bike motor apart, I was thinking about removing the balancer weights. Has anyone else done this? How bad is the vibration? Will there be a loss of oil pressure with no bearings on the shafts?

Get in touch with Graham on the other BB forum..

He can tell you exactly what to do and not to do..

Removing the shafts and blocking them off adds oil to #3 and the adjacent main, btw.

That's a weak spot on the motor...

Hank

Mine too,been 3 years now,but all track time-no street riding.Can't notice any vibration change.i also had the clutch basket balanced and should have had the crank balanced too but my mechanic had the bottom end back together right away.It seems to rev quicker.If I ever get a stock one beside mine I will check that out.

I talked to a friend of mine last night who did this to his ZX-14. He said he would only do it to a race bike because the vibration in the pegs was very noticeable at highway speeds.

He bought a kit for about $50 (Schnitz, I think) that replaces the stock shafts with aluminum ones that don't have the oiling holes. I took mine to a local guy that will copy the shafts in aluminum for about $40. The idle gear for the upper balancer does not have any oiling holes so it can be put back in after removing the gear. I may not even need that shaft at all. I'll have to take a closer look tonight.