CBR1100XX.org Forum

Top-End Advice

jon haney

After six seasons of drag racing, it's time to give my baby some TLC and make some improvements. It's a '99 Bird with slick and bar.

I put in a Wiseco 1195 kit two years ago (yes, I wish I had gone with JE) and had the intake ports cleaned up a bit. Everything else is stock. This winter I want to put in new valve springs, 5-angle valve job, clean up the valve-seat areas, and add some compression with a thinner head gasket. I've been reading some old threads on this subject and believe that I can gain some more compression and reduce squish area by milling a little off of the block.

Has anyone here done this, how much did you take off, and what results did you experience?

I'm planning on measuring my current squish to see how much room I have.

Stop screwing around and turbo that bad boy!! :icon_thumbsup: Can't cost any more than those bad ass wheel you have mounted!!

If you can find me a fully functional, all inclusive turbo kit, I'll trade you the wheels for it. :icon_wink:

Actually, the Dymag wheels are on the street bike. I'm afraid to run magnesium on the drag bike.

I agree, turbo is the only thing that will float your boat, Jon. Not that much in the head to improve. Or compression. Might get 20 more. Lame. You can handle it.

Blow that girl.

Unless it can be lowered to 0.65-0.7 mm don`t bother.There is no benefit of running 0.9 vs 1.1 mm squish other then higher compression ratio.It is impossible to lower squish to that free hp level on XX engines with OEM pistons without machining upper case/cylinder block.PITA on XX because entire motor has to disassembled in order to do that.

From the top of my head OEM squish is about 1.2-1.3mm,stock gasket is 0.65-07mm,even thinner part ( or just use 2 out of 3 layers ) won`t do .

But you have Wisecos,so it needs to be measured,I doubt they are identical in this regard to OEM.

SPEED FREAKS! ALL OF YOU! Keep up the good work. :icon_wink:

I guess I should clarify what my goals are for this small winter project. I'm more interested in winning races than just feeding the "need for speed".

I am planning on running the Super-Gas class (9.90) next year and I'm a little down on power on hotter days to run the number. The heat seems to effect low-end power the most because my 60 ft. times are way better when it's cold. I would be extremely happy with 20 more HP and I think even 15 more would be plenty. A torque increase of 10 ft-lbs is what I am hoping for. I want to stay with pump gas for obvious reasons.

Another avenue I have given some thought is putting an even larger sprocket on the back, but I'm pretty sure I'll need a little more RPM than the stock limiter will allow. Anyone know a cheap way to by-pass the factory limiter?

Thanks Tomek. I didn't realize the stock squish was that much.

Stan, when you said "replace the valves", I'm hoping you only mean for a turbo install. Good valves ain't cheap.

Sell it and buy a Busa.

There is an undeniable logic in your statement. However, I have found it rather enjoyable seeing the confusion on people's faces when someone asks "who won the race", and the reply is: "That guy on the Honda". :icon_biggrin:

Plus, I just like being different.

Sell it and buy a Busa.

There is an undeniable logic in your statement. However, I have found it rather enjoyable seeing the confusion on people's faces when someone asks "who won the race", and the reply is: "That guy on the Honda". :icon_biggrin:

I think you have that market cornered already…….. :icon_biggrin:

……… and Busa's are gay

Sell it and buy a Busa.

I think you have that market cornered already…….. :icon_biggrin: I do on this board. I'm the only normal one here. :icon_biggrin::icon_liar:

……… and Busa's are gay Yes they are. And then I would have to go to Hayabusa.org for technical advice. :icon_rolleyes:BORING!!!

They may be worth it when you break one of the stock ones, and will with good springs.

Try advancing the cams a little. 2 degs or so. If it goes the way you want, go two more, but I am worried about clearance issues.

Anyone know a cheap way to by-pass the factory limiter?

Do our '99's have an active limiter? I thought that didn't go into effect till 2000+

However, I have found it rather enjoyable seeing the confusion on people's faces when someone asks "who won the race", and the reply is: "That guy on the Honda".

:icon_clap: Anyone can go buy one of those ugly other two bikes. Like you said, the idea of going to a race track is to win.

Do our '99's have an active limiter? I thought that didn't go into effect till 2000+

My 97 does.

Which is why people buy those other two bikes

Being a little quicker in bracket racing doesn't make you a winner but I suppose you know that. :icon_biggrin:

Yes, consistency is key. Easier if you're not on the ragged edge, no?

But you do have a point, I wasn't thinking of bracket racing. If that's the game, why bother making the bike faster at all? Just dial in a little higher and go "win".

Which is why people buy those other two bikes

Being a little quicker in bracket racing doesn't make you a winner but I suppose you know that. :icon_biggrin:

Yes, consistency is key. Easier if you're not on the ragged edge, no?

But you do have a point, I wasn't thinking of bracket racing. If that's the game, why bother making the bike faster at all? Just dial in a little higher and go "win".

I have preached those same words for many years to my fellow bracket racers. Now I want to do some "Index racing", which requires you to run a specific E.T. (Super-gas is 9.90 index). That is why I only want a little bit more power.

• 3 weeks later...

SLYFoxx needs to view this thread. He had his 02 head port and polished. Power Commander and a second Commander doing something else. Not sure what it does. He plugs the place that did his work in his Sig line. EFR I think?

Anyway, he said it dyno'd 162bhp.

Jon,mine currently runs steady 9.7's,it has 150 hp and I still have to tune it.It has a full Hindle,c/b removed,1 layer removed from head gasket,10" over arm(8" might have been better),air shifter thats it.I weigh like 170 in leathers.I think I would aim for similar #'s ,9.7's,not my weight ha,if I ran 9.90's.

If I was only 170 lbs., I would have been running Super-Gas two years ago and I wouldn't have to do a thing to the bike except maybe slow it down. At 205 it'll be a lot easier to make the bike faster. LOL

I've decided not to do anything more to the head. The rise in compression should be enough (see Honda Toughness thread). With machining the valve pockets, I think the compression should be about 12.5:1. I'm going to have the cam sprockets slotted to make up for the material removed from the block and the thinner head gasket.

Anybody got some good lobe center numbers they would like to share?