CBR1100XX.org Forum

Repacking Slip-ons

RC Randy

Thinking about repacking my Yoshi slip-ons after about 20k miles. If it is too much of a pain, I may just put the stockers back on.

Who makes a good long lasting material?

Do SAE rivets fit for reassembly?

remove screws or drill out rivets at the bottom at least on the last slip-on I repacked.

slide bottom along with perferated tube and packing out. Throw away old packing wrap with new packing material and slide all back into the muffler. Replace screws or install new rivets.

My Leo Vince's have 25k miles on them and thought about repacking them a yr or two ago. Then decided not too. They are like a fine wine, the more miles they get on them the sweeter the sound. Nice deep throaty sound.

I wouldn't mess with it. Too much risk of damage.

I have a Yosh 4-1 system with over 40K miles on it that has never been touched. I'm sure it is a little louder than new, but I can't tell. It's still quieter than most after-market exhausts, especially below 4000 rpm.

There is no risks involved in repacking job.As a matter of fact it is not complicated at all.Drill out the rivets,disassemble,repack ( useful trick,use masking tape to hold fiberglass nice and tight before sliding it into a sleeve),reassemble.I think it takes 5mm or 1/5 inch rivets IIRC.

Start the bike,grab the cold one and enjoy nice and civilized again sound.

BTW,use latex,etc gloves before handling fiberglass.

My Yoshi RS3s have over 25,000 miles on them and I have not noticed an appreciable

change in their loudness, although they do seem a bit more throaty now. I think they

improve with age and don't plan on repacking them any time soon.