CBR1100XX.org Forum

Metallic rattling sound is what?????/

spicholy

-Argh! I started the bike up this afternoon at work. Let it idle for a few minutes while I went to talk to a co-worker. When I came back I heard a metallic rattle like sound. It was close to the sound of the CCT, but not quite. It sounded more like it was in the clutch area. Hard to pinpoint. When I put it in gear and let out the clutch it stopped.

What would make that kind of sound? It has me spooked now. I won't be able to take the clutch cover off until this Saturday.

Did the sound stop as soon as you put it in gear or after you let the clutch out?

After I let the clutch out to put torque on the drive line. It is also not the usual rattle that the clutch has that comes and goes with the clutch lever pull.

Does the frequency of the sound change as you rev the engine?

It did not seem to change with the engine revs. It also went away for the whole 17 mile ride home. I kept speeds under 50 on back roads.

Does the frequency of the sound change as you rev the engine?

It did not seem to change with the engine revs. It also went away for the whole 17 mile ride home. I kept speeds under 50 on back roads.

What if the bike is sitting still and you rev the engine from idle? does the frequency of the noise change as you raise the idle rpm with throttle?

Steady while idling. It has always been easy to miss the 1-2 shift. Sometimes it is hard to get out of neutral.

I am currently uploading a video with audio of it on photobucket. When it is uploaded I will post the link.

I`d have to agree with the previous reply. It sounds like something extenal is loose. If the rpms are raised slowly it sounds to me like the noise does not increase in frequency as well. Can you raise the rpms slowly to say, 2000-2500 and hold it and see if the noise remains the same?

O.K. I got the side fairing off. Started her up. Quiet at first, then as it warmed up, about 1 minute, I heard the rattle. Not as bad as before, but heard it. It is coming from the CCT/ignition pulse generator area. I can feel the CCT and it's feel correlates with the sound. I just put the CCT in last year. Double green dot. It does not have the same "rocks in a can" sound as usual for a failed CCT. Plus the sound is at idle and above. Not the usual 3500 rpm area.

The sound changes with RPM rise.

I am going to pull the cover for the IPG and see if anything is noticeable.

As is the usual outcome, the CCT is always the one weak link on the BlackBird.

I have them in stock and can have you one delivered by Thursday at a reasonable price if need be.

Thanks John. I am going to try adjusting the balance shafts first. If that has no affect, I will probably try a new CCT.

• 2 weeks later...
As is the usual outcome, the CCT is always the one weak link on the BlackBird.

I have them in stock and can have you one delivered by Thursday at a reasonable price if need be.

Hi John,

I'm in need of a CCT for my 98. Let me know how you want to proceed.

Thanks,

Wade

wtempleton922@yahoo.com

sorry for the hijack

ok

lemme know when you want to get er done.

Hey Wade, if you are in a pinch and need one really quickly you can take the one off my bike, as it's not in use ATM (needs a fork overhaul).. and just give me the one when your order arrives. Only has a few thousand miles on it, got it from John. Let me know.

ok

Hey Wade, if you are in a pinch and need one really quickly you can take the one off my bike, as it's not in use ATM (needs a fork overhaul).. and just give me the one when your order arrives. Only has a few thousand miles on it, got it from John. Let me know.

Is it hard to change the CCT? I am getting conflicting reports. The dealer says 3.5-4 hours labor.

ok

Is it hard to change the CCT. I am getting conflicting reports. The dealer says 3.5-4 hours labor.

HELL NO!

3-5 MINUTES, tops!

ok

Is it hard to change the CCT? I am getting conflicting reports. The dealer says 3.5-4 hours labor.

haha.. it's a 5 minute job.. don't need to take any plastic off even, just take out two screws, remove the old, put in the two screws and then pull out the little tab that holds to spring wound up in the new CCT.

Holy Shit! Do they plan on getting to it from the left side of the bike?!?

It takes longer to loosen the right lower fairing (not necessarily remove it) to access it than it does to swap it out.