CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front shock options.

Zero Knievel

I wonder if my front shocks could use replacement springs loaded for my weight range (200-210). My old Kawasaki could be done that way.

I'm not interested in replacing the forks with different ones if all I need is stronger springs.

Anyone done this?

A also weigh about 200 lbs. I went with 1.0 kg/mm fork springs and then put in an extra 30-50 cc of oil in each leg. That firmed the ride nicely. If you use 5 weight fork oil, those sharp-edged bumps will seem a lot less sharp. Better yet, install some RaceTech gold valves as long as it doesn't break the budget.

Best bang for the buck is a set of Race-Tech 1.0 springs, and setting your sag after the install. The springs will cost you about $125 or so (plus shipping) and they can be installed on the bike without removing the forks.

I went with Hyper Pro and the 7 weight oil at the recommended level and it works great.

Hyper Pro is about $125 plus shipping also.

If you are going to change the springs and the oil you might as well go the extra fem steps and remove the forks and give them a good cleaning before installing the new clean oil. You would be suprised at the ampount of crap that collects in there.

In case of cartridge equipped forks just draining and refilling with fresh fluid is simply not enough.They really need to be pulled a part and cleaned very well.

Not all suspension fluids are created equal,use high quality race grade 7w like Maxima racing fork fluid .That and stiffer springs will do the trick.