CBR1100XX.org Forum

'99 Spark Plugs (Is this right?)

cbracerx

I decided to change the plugs on my '99 while waiting for my FPR to appear. I bought the stock plugs for this year per the shop manual and factory parts diagram - CR9EHVX. When I removed my old plugs (with 5K miles on them) they are the CR9E. More to the point, the old plugs have a different thread arrangement than the new plugs. Is this ok?

IMG_5649.JPG

To elaborate, the CR9E is a valid replacement spark plug. That means that while its not the manufacturer's recommended plug, it fulfills all the basic requirements for the spark plug...same thread size and length, same tip to seat measurement, and the same heat range. Notice that the unthreaded portion of the new plug doesn't do anything more than the unthreaded portion of the old plug...the tip to seat length is still the same.

To elaborate, the CR9E is a valid replacement spark plug. That means that while its not the manufacturer's recommended plug, it fulfills all the basic requirements for the spark plug...same thread size and length, same tip to seat measurement, and the same heat range. Notice that the unthreaded portion of the new plug doesn't do anything more than the unthreaded portion of the old plug...the tip to seat length is still the same.

Thanks, I found it odd that the BB had a CR9E from the factory! Off to install the better ones.

Good site to keep bookmarked, I liked the details links on the plugs. Now I know what Iridium is all about.