CBR1100XX.org Forum

Front wheel bearings

The Krypt Keeper

On the way back from WVEXXT I got a front wheel bearing that decided to commit suicide.

Fucking Honda only 25k miles on the damn thing. :icon_rolleyes: Whats nexxt my rubber strap? :icon_whistle:

Anways looking on line at Ron Ayers they list 3 or 4 bearings, and also 3 or 4 dust seals or an oil seal.

Bike Bandit only lists 1 part for each the bearing and oil/dust seal.

Then looking at another site they list up to 8 bearings

And it seems all have different part numbers and some have got different sizes.

I did do a quick search on here and got mostly posts on how to do.

Any help would be great..

Ayers doesn't eliminate per year. Service Honda does, and it should only come up with one number. If they do have two, one will supercede to the other one.

Don't feel bad, I go through front wheel bearings about every 10-15k on mine. Next time I'm going to give AllBalls a shot since the Honda ones don't seem to last for me.

Are you guys pressure washing near the axles? The bearings should last much longer than your reports indicate.

pressure washing?

I believe I would whip someones ass with a rubber hose if they bought a pressure washer near my bike. :icon_twisted:

I believe mine bit the dust early to a rather large pothole I hit. My forks bottomed out and you could see the sidewall of the tire where it was compressed on impact. It rattled my teeth and knew I bent my front wheel. But seems my bearings took the impact far worse than I thought.

Beats buying a new rim...

I rarely even wash the bike, and even then it's not with a pressure washer. Mine is now all flat black, so if it gets dirty, it gets washed with a spray bottle and a paper towel or something. I don't even run a hose over it. I don't ride in the rain much either. I just go through a lot of front wheel bearings for some reason. Basically, if I need tires, I need bearings, and I only change the front tire out about every 10-12k miles or so.

What's weird is even with all the drag racing I've done, trips to the dragon, and the 49k showing on the clock now, I've never put a set of rear wheel bearings in. But I'm probably on my 4th set of front ones now.

I did find a little trick to get the bearing out last night. As the aluminum spacer in the center really dont let you get a good bite on the bearing, and the place on the bearing has a slight taper to it which makes it even more a pain.

took off the sealed side cover and popped out the outer cage being super careful to not touch the wheel. This lets you move the balls around some, so to one side they went and flipped over the wheel and BANG BANG done, flipped over rim and BANG BANG other side out.

I rarely even wash the bike, and even then it's not with a pressure washer. Mine is now all flat black, so if it gets dirty, it gets washed with a spray bottle and a paper towel or something. I don't even run a hose over it. I don't ride in the rain much either. I just go through a lot of front wheel bearings for some reason. Basically, if I need tires, I need bearings, and I only change the front tire out about every 10-12k miles or so.

What's weird is even with all the drag racing I've done, trips to the dragon, and the 49k showing on the clock now, I've never put a set of rear wheel bearings in. But I'm probably on my 4th set of front ones now.

Why do you replace them? What symptoms do you experience that lets you know the wheel bearings are about to go? What grease are you using to pack them in? It just seems really odd that you are going through so many bearings!

This lets you move the balls around some, so to one side they went and flipped over the wheel and BANG BANG done, flipped over rim and BANG BANG other side out.

Where are Hobbie and Skull now? They would have a "ball" with this sentence!

You don't pack the front wheel bearings as they are a sealed unit. Front axle is torqued to spec, so that's not causing it either. You can hear a slight whine in the front end, then when you turn (side load) it gets REALLY loud. If you weave back and forth, it sounds like a siren.

You don't pack the front wheel bearings as they are a sealed unit. Front axle is torqued to spec, so that's not causing it either. You can hear a slight whine in the front end, then when you turn (side load) it gets REALLY loud. If you weave back and forth, it sounds like a siren.

Mine has done that for over 20K now... maybe even longer. Bearings feel and look fine when checked with wheel off for tire changes. I've found that the whine increases quite a bit with a Pilot Road being the front tire....not so much yet with the Road 2CT. Dunlops have been the quietest tires I've had so far in a bit over 40K.

If the spacer tube is too short, as it would be if over-torqued at any time, your bearings will have a side load that they are not designed for, and they will undoubtedly fail sooner. With the bearing installed the tube should have very little play, as any clearance between the bearings and the spacer tube will cause side loading once the axle is torqued.

A motorcycle shop mechanic once told me that he sees many bikes with bearing failures due to excessive tightening of the axle. The spacer tube is not strong at all.

On the Bird the axle is retained by the fork clamps, the axle bolt is just to take out play in the system. It really needs very little torque to be set correctly.

As far as the varying depending on the tire, it's not tire related. It did it with the D205 originally, with the Continentals that I run now, did it on a Michelin Macadam (sp), anything I've put on it. It's not normal, and it annoys the heck out of me which is why I replace them.

If it was ever torqued wrong, it was by the original selling dealer. Every time I take a wheel off it goes back with a torque wrench. IIRC, front wheel torque is 43 ft/lbs and rear is 69 ft/lbs. Whatever it is, it's in the manual, which I keep in the garage by the bike so that I torque it correctly.

As far as the varying depending on the tire, it's not tire related. It did it with the D205 originally, with the Continentals that I run now, did it on a Michelin Macadam (sp), anything I've put on it. It's not normal, and it annoys the heck out of me which is why I replace them.

If it was ever torqued wrong, it was by the original selling dealer. Every time I take a wheel off it goes back with a torque wrench. IIRC, front wheel torque is 43 ft/lbs and rear is 69 ft/lbs. Whatever it is, it's in the manual, which I keep in the garage by the bike so that I torque it correctly.

Two other things to check:

1. When you install new bearings, they must seat fully in wheel hub or you will get excessive play in the spacer as mentioned above. Make sure there is no dirt or other contaminants in the hole that will keep the bearings from fully seating.

2. Is there anything wrong with the wheel itself? Bent? Cracked?

I've replaced my wheel bearing and head bearings once in 7 years and 137,500 kms. I will be replacing the cush drives when I install new tires in a couple of weeks. I bought the bearings and cush drives from Jaws. I do feel a little play when I break at slow speeds in the front and my tech will check it out. I can't image replacing those items so frequently. All my 2 cents of course.