CBR1100XX.org Forum

Screwed on oil filter question

googus

OK guys please don't blast me too hard:) I put my bosch oil filter on yesterday and I bent the top of the filter a little with grips. I could not used an oil filter attachment because of the full Yosh system and the bosch is a long filter and I just didn't know my own strength :icon_redface: It appears that the bent part of the filter is not bad enough to hender the usefulness of the filter. I just thought I would ask and provide alittle entertainment.

Thanks Greg

Thanks I hear you. Wouldn't the oil light come on from lack of pressure?

Stupid me and I mean stupid :icon_redface: I filled it up with oil already and don't want to waste 40buck in oil. But you are right I guess it would be better than harming my engine.

Thanks I hear you. Wouldn't the oil light come on from lack of pressure?

Stupid me and I mean stupid :icon_redface: I filled it up with oil already and don't want to waste 40buck in oil. But you are right I guess it would be better than harming my engine.

You don't have to pitch the oil. Just drain it into a clean pan, and then pour it back in after you put the new filter on.

Filters are cheap. If you think you could have damaged it enough to prevent flow (in any way), replace it.

We can't see the bend, so no one can reasonably see what "a little" is. But if there is any chance of restricted oil flow, then it might be best to take a mulligan and do it all again.

Hand tighten only. Lube the ring first.

If any doubt, change it. Many have a built in check valve to prevent oil running back to the crank case. You might loose a cup of oil.

Also, I think the bird has a bypass valve like most engines. Clog a filter and oil bypasses the filter and continues to lube the engine. Not good for cleaning the oil if the filter damage puts you in bypass.

Unless by some miracle you completely smashed the end flat, or twisted the entire housing like a pretzel...

it's fine.

Unless it's a Fram... in which case, you'd be screwed from the start. :icon_confused:

The next time you change you Oil, cut the filter apart, and you'll see what I mean.

I've NEVER installed a dented filter. I have dropped MANY! I remember an article on cars that stated a dinged oil filter could actually flutter and rupture where the dent was. I dont know if its even as possible as hitting the lotto, but....... filters are cheap. I however wouldnt reccommend HI-filtro :icon_rolleyes:

I've NEVER installed a dented filter. I have dropped MANY! I remember an article on cars that stated a dinged oil filter could actually flutter and rupture where the dent was. I dont know if its even as possible as hitting the lotto, but....... filters are cheap. I however wouldnt reccommend HI-filtro :icon_rolleyes:

Kindly send me all your dented filters. :)